New air bags with 2" lift ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kid

Threads
That's what I want .
Read lots of info here , seems like a hodge-podge of ideas with no clear way .
Is there a shop around within a few hundred miles who can do this ?

Thanks for y'all's help

You can get extended airbags, or you can have some spacers made to keep stock airbags in the right range of their travel. The spacers are dead simple and anyone can put them in with very little effort. Swapping the extended airbags is easy too.

Given that I don't know that anyone in north america has the extended bags for sale, and making spacers should be pretty cheap, I would go spacers.

Thanks
I saw that someone made some , I can not do that and finding someone who wants to give it a try would probably not happen .
So , I'll probably just go with new bags and pump , if it's needed and forget about lifting it

The original air bags on any GX will probably be close to failure due to dry-rotting. Since you'll likely need new bags anyway, you might want to try to order them from Australia, rather than doing a spacer and having to replace the bags in a couple of years anyway. Or, as many of us have done, just do a coil conversion (after which you really won't miss the bags much at all).

Age is why I am replacing them and hope to do a lift .
They have a 100K miles on them .

The coil conversion , you are referring to 4Runner suspension ?

I know there's lots of options , aftermarket lift , used from 4Rumnner , OEM or after market air bags .
Okay , the safest and easiest is replace with same .
Tired of thinking about it ........ :)

Age is why I am replacing them and hope to do a lift .
They have a 100K miles on them .

The coil conversion , you are referring to 4Runner suspension ?
Yes, if you want to lift a normal GX470 lift kit with the lower coil conversion pieces (which are pretty simple and bolt on the the rear axle housing at the lower airbag mount). Most lift kits will come with the conversion kit or have it as a add-on. Another thing to note too is that if you OEM shocks are original, they are probably also worn out. Which is why it makes sense to lift - replace all of the springs and shocks at once. My front and rear shocks, rear airbags, and front springs were all shot by 140K.

If you aren't interested in lifting and like the airbags I'd just replace them with OEM or equivalent aftermarket bags. I personally have not missed my bags a single time since lifting my GX.

I ran with airbags for 4 years. Mine were refreshed Lexus oem bags back in 2013 and they worked okay offroad. I had done the airbag trick where you lower the height sensor by adding washers/nuts. I was lifted like 1.5” to 1.75” in the rear.

So, you can take new oem or aftermarket standard sized air bags and search for the airbag trick to raise them about 1.5” on the Normal height setting.

I removed the air bags and did coil conversion when I went to a rear long travel suspension with parts from MetalTech 4x4.

One thing to consider if you ever decide to do a coil conversion…I wish I had gotten an adjustable coil conversion kit to adjust the rear height for the infamous driver side lean. I had to use a spacer to try to address the driver side lean.

Last edited:
I know there's lots of options , aftermarket lift , used from 4Rumnner , OEM or after market air bags .
Okay , the safest and easiest is replace with same .
Tired of thinking about it ........ :)
This same thinking applies to rim sizes/width, tires, bumpers, roof racks, and many other suspension parts like bumpstops, sway bars, end links, etc….welcome to the addiction and to the analysis paralysis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom