New 70 Series V8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Quebec, Canada. But not registered for road use, only offroad. So maybe it doesn't fall into the more strict onroad rules.

Thats what I meant. It becomes something like a farm tractor:D

I can't believe that you guys aren't disappointed at the low power output for that size:confused:

For most of us its way more powerful then anything we have now:flipoff2:

Seriously ,most aussies who drive these as a work vehicle only complain about the 1HZ lack of power when towing.
I never saw anyone complain about the power from the 1HD FTE when it was fitted to a 78/79 series;)
I think the low down torque will be a welcome relief.
Also, some mags have hinted the power will be closer to 165kw

v8

the wait is finally over !! I carried out a pre delivery inspection yesterday on a new v8 70 ,and what a beast ! that engine is pure honey,quiet & very smooth it may only have 151kw but that 430nm of torque makes all the difference,i bet theres a lot more horses hiding in there too,our dealership has just one at the mo a base model with split steelies & vinyl but it has got a snorkel inside looks the same as 70`s have for centuries with the addition of a security system light next to the heater controls & a idle up switch hanging off the driver side binnacle , apparently the first shipment is all sold:crybaby:

I havent seen one yet but my son said he saw one yesterday.
It had a big cricket ball shaped dent in the drivers door. New cars seen to attract dents like magnets:D

OK, I saw 1 the other nite, but only enough to think that the headlights work better than the old 79, and I dont really like look of the new front end - even with the snorkle.
Drove 1 today - a work mate tray top - just around our w/s yard - this is what I thought.
(Asbesdos suit on)
.....same old POS!
.....Then ...there doesnt seem to be as much room for my legs - the g.box hump seems wider than the old 79. Id just got out of a 100srs, tho.
It may not worry everybody,but vision in front of the dvrs. ft tyre was better with the old style front end - obviously.
Driving wise, that engine is going to rock in the 200srs!!!
But as a work horse, that 30 different ppl may drive, and no one really look after, Im a bit worried.
It has 1 serpentine belt.
It takes a different fuel filter.
The cooling system has to be bled in a certain way.- it doesnt have a conventional radiator cap.
The intercooler had bugs stuck on the plastic "trim" already.
Where is the oil filter ? - is it in that fancy sump that mud is going to stick to? What is behind that cover on the bottom of the sump, at the back on the LHS?
Mine site LVs often dont get there filters changed any way, but if its too hard, or not easy to see - it isnt going to get changed very often!
Itll take CD oil still at least.
The A/C compressor and the alternator seem very low.
Theres not as much room for a 2nd battery as before - Itll fit , just not as much room as before.
But at least it has a aux power box!
And some one has put an idle up buttom where the EPD and hourmeter go!
Thats all I got in 5 minutes.

But I also saw the 4 door wagon with the same engine. It did look better in the flesh than in the brocure. Its a different animal to the prado, but im not sure how its going to sell. That will depend how soft the IFS 200srs is I guess.
Small, cramped, rough 79srs with live axle, vs big comfy 200srs with IFS.
Dunno

Later ;p

Matt

Driving wise, that engine is going to rock in the 200srs!!!
But as a work horse, that 30 different ppl may drive, and no one really look after, Im a bit worried.

thanks for your impresions Mat .. but your conclusion is ..

The V8 rocks or not rocks ? :D

Gday
yeah, the V8 rocks!- I only drove it a few 100 meters tho, slowly on dirt.
Id have 1 myself(in a wagon) if i could. Quiet and torquey!
It will be great for most applications.
I think its 1 of those engines your better off not looking at.
Im just not sure yet weather it will be good as a pit ute or not.
The 79s with the 1HZ have got the bonnet up every couple of days, for something, now, and the V8 COULD be more trouble. Gboxs and clutches dont last long now, how will they go with the V8? - I forgot to look what box it had.
On a mine site, these things have lots of different drivers every day, and (unfortunately) many treat them like a race car.
When it was there, I overheard ppl saying "why would you put a v8 in a cruiser?"
Just my thoughts.
Later

Matt

Seen one! sitting outside waiting for a deck, didn`t even know the`d arrived in NZ!
That bonnet scoop hole is wide, kinda weird looking on a work truck.
Other than that i like it.

the wait is finally over !! I carried out a pre delivery inspection yesterday on a new v8 70 ,and what a beast ! that engine is pure honey,quiet & very smooth it may only have 151kw but that 430nm of torque makes all the difference,i bet theres a lot more horses hiding in there too,our dealership has just one at the mo a base model with split steelies & vinyl but it has got a snorkel inside looks the same as 70`s have for centuries with the addition of a security system light next to the heater controls & a idle up switch hanging off the driver side binnacle , apparently the first shipment is all sold:crybaby:

Sounds pretty good to me. Dealer finally rang me to advise my new one was finally here, have been without a truck for 6 months and can't wait to get back in one. Had a look at it only to realise its the wrong colour!! never mind will take it as is. Have had a good look, asked the PD mechanic a few questions. First impression under the bonnet is that its very busy. A lot more wires and plugs and things than the the old 1HZ. Mechanic had taken it for drive, thought it was really torquey and very smooth and quiet. Have not been for a drive yet, as I have not paid for it so thought I should leave it there, as once I take it I might be able to take it back!!. Had a sit and a play, identical inside to the 79 turbo apart from the warm up button. Wheres the high 4 button?? Gone - all on the transfer stick now. Straight down to engage high 4. A lift of the same stick to go from high 4 to low 4, and straight down . Measured the truck beside mates 79 turbo, chassis behind cab is identical to the 79, so no changes requred for deck jigs etc. Still waiting for mine to be built. Chassis at front is 67mm wider than the 79. Noticed a fuel cooler stuck beside the G/box similar to the new hiluxs, must make a difference does it?? Huge intercooler. Have had a read of the handbook, Mr Toyota advises some "turbo" wind down after highway speeds and towing etc. Does not need it if running round town. Cab is same width. Seemed same seating position as the 79, had driven the 79 to the dealer before sitting in the V8. Lockers look the same, as does the running gear, rear springs same length as the 79, but has a very heavy leaf on the bottom. Much heavier than the 79. Gross weight is the same, so not sure why that is. GVW is 3300kg. Thought the view over the bonnet was better than the 79, corners of the truck is where the bonnet ends so seems easier to see where the corners are. Truck appears to be higher off the ground,but could be just the bigger bolder front end. Hope to borrow a dealers deck and get it on the truck before easter so will let you all know how it drives. If theres no new posts from me you will know it did not happen and I am stuck at home for another long weekend.
My dealer has the work model as well, and saw another 3 on a transporter truck. 1 in the Toyota dealers in Nelson as well, so theres a few around. 5 door is supposed to be here by the end of April. Talked to the sales guy who went to the debut in Palmerston North, local 4WD trainer guy who has been doing debuts for Toyota for 30 years, commented that he thought that the amount of power and torque was right on the upper limit for the size of the truck. Trucks had no weight and the standard tyres. No doubt a bit of weight and bigger tyres will reduce that upper limit a bit. Interesting comment I thought from someone who probably does a bit of 4WDing.

See ya later.
Any other impressions from waydown under??

The only reason ( IMOP ) to put a V8 in a Cruiser is if this V8 come with at least 300 HP .. but if you offer one hand old 1HD-T and the other hand a fully electronic V8 with only 30 HP more ..

My answer is .. naaaaaa I would keep the old 1HD-T

That front end is growing on me.
VDJ79.jpg

The only reason ( IMOP ) to put a V8 in a Cruiser is if this V8 come with at least 300 HP .. but if you offer one hand old 1HD-T and the other hand a fully electronic V8 with only 30 HP more ..

naaaaaaaa you wouldnt after one drive you`d be hooked:D

pretty much spot on with your description there Welby, I only drove the one we have without a deck on it so it was a bit of a handful (was a wet day too!!!) first thing i`d do is ditch that big rear muffler for something that gave up some noise!!:D yep noticed the fuel cooler next to the g/box its like 2 of them stacked ,hopefully wont get hammered like hilux,also had a small cooler on the bottom of the sump & and an old style cartridge filter right above the drain bung,am off on a course on them next monday so will come back with some tech stuff:cheers:

So have any of the Kiwi boys got there hands on one of these yet? I rang around the local Auckland dealers and they either had no idea bout it, and the one that did said it was three weeks away.. Obviously Auckland's not part of the target market...

Im thinking I need to get me one :)

MY mates got a turbo 79, we looked at the V8 the other day. Hes gonna do the trade. I have driven the 79 today, and drove the V8 as well. I had the choice 79 turbo or the V8. I have taken the V8. It does not sould like V8 outside, but it sure purrs inside. Even at low revs you can hear the V8 while driving it. No argument. Its not the HP 4 wheelin ( although it helps) you gotta have the torque. The V8 has heaps of it. I thought the 79 turbo had heaps, but not now.
Im a firm believer in the following
There is no substitute for cubic inches.
If there was we would not be here chatting about 70 series V8s, we would be driving 2.4 luxes.... (not)

naaaaaaaa you wouldnt after one drive you`d be hooked:D

pretty much spot on with your description there Welby, I only drove the one we have without a deck on it so it was a bit of a handful (was a wet day too!!!) first thing i`d do is ditch that big rear muffler for something that gave up some noise!!:D yep noticed the fuel cooler next to the g/box its like 2 of them stacked ,hopefully wont get hammered like hilux,also had a small cooler on the bottom of the sump & and an old style cartridge filter right above the drain bung,am off on a course on them next monday so will come back with some tech stuff:cheers:

I reckon your'e right there waydownunder, he would be hooked. Drove mine home from the dealers tonight, looking at fitting compressor and UHF radio, and drives very simialr to the 79, but that V8... man its nice. Had a read of the handbook, suggested fitting of a UHF radio might upset some of the electronic systems. Guess that will have to wait. Be interesting to see if they raise it at the training course. Will just sus out how I can fit it I think till Mr Toyota comes back to me. Enjoy the training, and hopefully some driving as well do you think??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom