New 70 Series V8 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Im sure 151kw would be more than enough for me too. I also find myself looking for another gear. At 110kph the 1HZ seems as if it could handle a 5th with a higher ratio or another gear.
However I think the 1HZs lack of noise is misleading and if there was another gear it would bog down on a slight incline.
I did 730klms in my HZJ75 in 7 hrs a few weeks ago on quiet country back roads.
I sat on 110-120kph and had 3 breaks for fuel and food.
It used about 13-14 ltr per 100klm with about 500kg in the back and my canvas canopy working like an airbrake.
It would have been hard to convince me then it needed more power . Its over taking at speed where the 1HZ falls down but I only had to overtake 3-4 times that day

Geez I bet you had a sore arse!! Thats a fair haul. Still you guys are used to those big distances. Can't do it here the roads are not good enough. Have done a few 450 - 500ks in a day, but it was in a work truck ( NIssan Navara 4WD) and there was no way I could have averaged what you did. Does the 95 model there still have leaf springs on the front or were you guys coils by then, and with the extra bit in the cab? At least you could stretch out a bit. I found the 91 model I had a wee bit constricted for longer trips, but still OK. I could drive for 3.5 hours not stop, that was about 320klms. We did not get coils on the front till the 96 model.

Hopefully if your dealers are getting them in a might be only a couple of weeks till we see them here. Would appreciate a bit of info if you are looking Rosco. Is the change to hi 2 to hi 4 still the same? is the transfer lever the same? I am getting a VJTN model, thats the one with the Mags, and carpet instead of vinyl, comes with aircon, bucket seats, and diff locks. We get them here as a cab and chassis, and I am getting my own deck made. The more basic model still has split rims, vinyl instead of carpet ( I might regret not having vinyl) not sure if it gets aircon, and the same old seat. We had the choice with the 79, with those options as well or the non turbo 1HZ as a basic truck. You could get a "high country kit" which gave a snorkel, diff locks, and disc brakes all round. With the turboed 79 you get the snorkel and discs as standard, and the diff locks were an extra. with the new model the "GLX" and the standard model get the same V8 and snorkel. The only option will be if you want diff locks or not. Will have to wait and see.

Ya .. I'm agree in some statement like les weight more power ..

Here in Panamá we have a huge brande markes, starting in Ford, Mazda, Nissan, Toyota, Dodge, Avalanche .. daba daba dab ..

The issue is ( to me ) Toyota already have the 1HD-FTE Turbo Intercooler engine .. that runs the 100 series ( here and no option to this engine in a 105 ) pretty fine and fast ..

1HD-FTE engine are rated 150 KM - 205 HP .. it's nice in a 6L Toyota engine .. but if we already have this engine with great performance and Toyota sayd V8 Twin Turbo Intercooler .. wouuu !

To me it means much more power than a 4.2 single turbo and intercoler .. but don't stop here .. more Common Rail .. if you take reference about 1KD-FTV Common Rail in the Hi Lux ( available here in both versions .. 3.0 and 2.5 ) and the Fortuner .. with 168 HP ..

Again .. what I want for a V8 Twin Turbo and Intercooler . ? at least 280 HP :D

Actually I know Toyota are not interested in power races with Cummings or Powermoske v8 engines .. we talk about quiality and reliability ..

But who don't want more ponies .?

I know theres a saying here that you can never have to much power. Not sure about that, I have a few mates whi have added bigger turbos and things to their trucks, and they just end up breaking stuff. Mind you they might not if they knew hhow to control the right foot a bit more ( the gas pedal) They all seem to have times when they just have to put there foot down, and usually end up breaking something. Still if the factory do it properly it should not be a problem
A few guys here convert their old 40 series petrols to V8 deisels, most of them a re 6.2 chevs I think. May be bigger than that. Seem to go all right to.

Geez I bet you had a sore arse!! Thats a fair haul. Still you guys are used to those big distances. Can't do it here the roads are not good enough. Have done a few 450 - 500ks in a day, but it was in a work truck ( NIssan Navara 4WD) and there was no way I could have averaged what you did. Does the 95 model there still have leaf springs on the front or were you guys coils by then, and with the extra bit in the cab? At least you could stretch out a bit. I found the 91 model I had a wee bit constricted for longer trips, but still OK. I could drive for 3.5 hours not stop, that was about 320klms. We did not get coils on the front till the 96 model.

Hopefully if your dealers are getting them in a might be only a couple of weeks till we see them here. Would appreciate a bit of info if you are looking Rosco. Is the change to hi 2 to hi 4 still the same? is the transfer lever the same? I am getting a VJTN model, thats the one with the Mags, and carpet instead of vinyl, comes with aircon, bucket seats, and diff locks. We get them here as a cab and chassis, and I am getting my own deck made. The more basic model still has split rims, vinyl instead of carpet ( I might regret not having vinyl) not sure if it gets aircon, and the same old seat. We had the choice with the 79, with those options as well or the non turbo 1HZ as a basic truck. You could get a "high country kit" which gave a snorkel, diff locks, and disc brakes all round. With the turboed 79 you get the snorkel and discs as standard, and the diff locks were an extra. with the new model the "GLX" and the standard model get the same V8 and snorkel. The only option will be if you want diff locks or not. Will have to wait and see.

Ive done longer hauls,44 hrs Mel to Perth on my own in a Falcon.:D

To do it in a 75 I had a cushion made from high density foam and covered in a thick wool.
Ass went numb after it stopped being sore:D
It gives 6.2 guys like me more leg room and smooths out the bumps;).
We didnt get the extended 79 series cab and front coils until 98 and the disc brakes all round and aircon have been standard since 95

I don't know anything about the gearshift. I suspect it will be the same as the 1HD FTE in the previous model.
The south African models are getting the old seats so dont expect too much ;)

I will post some close up pics 1st chance I get;)

Ive done longer hauls,44 hrs Mel to Perth on my own in a Falcon.:D

To do it in a 75 I had a cushion made from high density foam and covered in a thick wool.
Ass went numb after it stopped being sore:D
It gives 6.2 guys like me more leg room and smooths out the bumps;).
We didnt get the extended 79 series cab and front coils until 98 and the disc brakes all round and aircon have been standard since 95

I don't know anything about the gearshift. I suspect it will be the same as the 1HD FTE in the previous model.
The south African models are getting the old seats so dont expect too much ;)

I will post some close up pics 1st chance I get;)

Your'e a legend Rosco. I would imagine the seats will be the same as the individual buckets on the curent 79 model. They were pretty good, a bit longer in the squab than the older models. Do you fellas get new trucks already to go, or just cab and chassis, so you put your on deck on it.? You guys call them tray tops I think? I see pics from South Africa the trucks have wellside ( thats what we call them) decks and sides made in the factory. They do not bring them out here, only in the Hilux and the normal utes. Can you still get a Nissan Cab and chassis? (thats a patrol here) cannot buy a cab and chassis here the Nissan equivilant of the 70 series.
I see Toyota.com.au still have the old model on the website. Have they had the official press release yet?

Your'e a legend Rosco. I would imagine the seats will be the same as the individual buckets on the curent 79 model. They were pretty good, a bit longer in the squab than the older models. Do you fellas get new trucks already to go, or just cab and chassis, so you put your on deck on it.? You guys call them tray tops I think? I see pics from South Africa the trucks have wellside ( thats what we call them) decks and sides made in the factory. They do not bring them out here, only in the Hilux and the normal utes. Can you still get a Nissan Cab and chassis? (thats a patrol here) cannot buy a cab and chassis here the Nissan equivilant of the 70 series.
I see Toyota.com.au still have the old model on the website. Have they had the official press release yet?

We can get them in cab chassis ,with/without tray or wellbody.
Toyota have their own factory tray ,same as the one shown on that deep red VZJ? 79 model a few pages back.
Im pretty sure the Toyota tray is made in oz somewhere,it looks like the Unicorn brand of tray.
It probably works out cheaper to take it to someone like TL http://www.tleng.com.au/mine.html

Yep Patrol are still available in cab chassis. The govt utilities buy a lot because they are $7-8k cheaper than a cruiser . They have the 4cyl 3.0TD,the 4.2 has been discontinued for emissions reasons like the toyota 6 cyl.
I dont think the wellbody is available on the Nissan anymore,I dont know why anyone would want one over a tray anyway.
The Patrol is still popular but they all say the cruisers are nicer to drive

Thanks Rosco

We can get them in cab chassis ,with/without tray or wellbody.
Toyota have their own factory tray ,same as the one shown on that deep red VZJ? 79 model a few pages back.
Im pretty sure the Toyota tray is made in oz somewhere,it looks like the Unicorn brand of tray.
It probably works out cheaper to take it to someone like TL http://www.tleng.com.au/mine.html

Yep Patrol are still available in cab chassis. The govt utilities buy a lot because they are $7-8k cheaper than a cruiser . They have the 4cyl 3.0TD,the 4.2 has been discontinued for emissions reasons like the toyota 6 cyl.
I dont think the wellbody is available on the Nissan anymore,I dont know why anyone would want one over a tray anyway.
The Patrol is still popular but they all say the cruisers are nicer to drive

Interesting to see the differences between the 2 countries. Although you would have thought we have a lot in common, although the terrain is different. Obviously the vehicle requirements are not that different. Most of our decks are wood, with steel box section around the sides etc. Steel stringers with the boards Tek screwed or bolted to the stringers. Not many steel decks over here, some alloy ones. Not in favour of the alloy, everything goes black, and slides around a lot. Plus they seem to bend quite easily. The wooden ones a stronger, but heavier. Comes in handy if you end up resting againest a tree though, the decks make it handy to slide off a few trees and banks etc. Only mid eighties Nissan flatdecks here now, almost all I think probably imports from Oz. One of the chopper crowds have a late model one, but again imported from you guys I would think. My Toyota has a pretty clear market when it comes to his heavy 4WD Ute, There is not really anything else available. Not that I would want to look at anything else anyway.

Oh well, things pretty quite on the V8 front, I guess we will have to wait and see what turns up in the "flesh" as it were

Interesting to see the differences between the 2 countries. Although you would have thought we have a lot in common, although the terrain is different. Obviously the vehicle requirements are not that different. Most of our decks are wood, with steel box section around the sides etc. Steel stringers with the boards Tek screwed or bolted to the stringers. Not many steel decks over here, some alloy ones. Not in favour of the alloy, everything goes black, and slides around a lot. Plus they seem to bend quite easily. The wooden ones a stronger, but heavier. Comes in handy if you end up resting againest a tree though, the decks make it handy to slide off a few trees and banks etc. Only mid eighties Nissan flatdecks here now, almost all I think probably imports from Oz. One of the chopper crowds have a late model one, but again imported from you guys I would think. My Toyota has a pretty clear market when it comes to his heavy 4WD Ute, There is not really anything else available. Not that I would want to look at anything else anyway.

Oh well, things pretty quite on the V8 front, I guess we will have to wait and see what turns up in the "flesh" as it were

We havent had timber trays for a decade or more due to the cost of local timber.
Ive never seen an alloy tray go black:eek: Ive always found them tough enough for the building game but obviously they wont take impact loads;)

I have a steel tray with a floor of checkerplate steel.
Its a bit heavy for what I want ,about 400 kgs too heavy :eek:.
It has 4?X 75mmx 8mm steel C channel for joists running from one side to the other as well as full length bearers with I beams all around the perimeter:D
I hate to see what the tray and HD towbar will do to a little Korean car if it rear ends me:grinpimp:
new cruiser 005 (Medium).jpg
new cruiser 103 (Medium).jpg

Side notes:

1. I thought the top mounted intercoler it's only air/air ..

2. V8 Chevy in my Cruiser ! never in the life ! I have the chance to swap a very powerfull V8 ( gas or diesel ) in my HJ-60 last december .. but I choose spend a lots of money and efford inmy Turbo Setup .. only to keep it as Toyota ..

It's a matter of faith ! in Toyota .. ( Yota believer ? ... mmmmmm yes ! :D )

Today I send a mail to Ricardo Perez ( monopoly Toyota Dealer here in Panamá ) to a mate that work there as Merchandaise General Manager .. to see when we gonna getn the V8 ! I wait the reply ..

I'm still awaiting the oficial press realease of Toyota ..

Side notes:

2. V8 Chevy in my Cruiser ! never in the life ! I have the chance to swap a very powerfull V8 ( gas or diesel ) in my HJ-60 last december .. but I choose spend a lots of money and efford inmy Turbo Setup .. only to keep it as Toyota ..

Today I send a mail to Ricardo Perez ( monopoly Toyota Dealer here in Panamá ) to a mate that work there as Merchandaise General Manager .. to see when we gonna getn the V8 ! I wait the reply ..

If you have a mate who merchandise general manager at a toyota dealer, then he should be getting you a cheap toyota V8 diesel for the 60:grinpimp:
Intercooler looks aircooled to me

We havent had timber trays for a decade or more due to the cost of local timber.
Ive never seen an alloy tray go black:eek: Ive always found them tough enough for the building game but obviously they wont take impact loads;)

It has 4?X 75mmx 8mm steel C channel for joists running from one side to the other as well as full length bearers with I beams all around the perimeter:D
I hate to see what the tray and HD towbar will do to a little Korean car if it rear ends me:grinpimp:

4 steel members 75x75x 8mm that's one super heavy duty tray.:cool: Often 40x40x5mm angle.:D Ok for carrying escavator buckets etc.:D :beer: :beer:

4 steel members 75x75x 8mm that's one super heavy duty tray.:cool: Often 40x40x5mm angle.:D Ok for carrying escavator buckets etc.:D :beer: :beer:

Well it came from the goldfields:D but to be honest its not knocked about enough to have done anything like that.

Suspension shop said they could tell by the wear on the some of the steering components its done a lot of miles on dirt roads.It wears a star shape into the washers on the steering arm I think.
But underneath its clean. Dirt or gravel roads normally blast the fuel tank covers to pieces.
I think it was probably a station owner or road construction bosses vehicle

Well it came from the goldfields:D but to be honest its not knocked about enough to have done anything like that.

Suspension shop said they could tell by the wear on the some of the steering components its done a lot of miles on dirt roads.It wears a star shape into the washers on the steering arm I think.
But underneath its clean. Dirt or gravel roads normally blast the fuel tank covers to pieces.
I think it was probably a station owner or road construction bosses vehicle

If it had buckets from backhoes or escavators in the checkerplate would be deeply scared from the hard teeth etc when they were loaded and unloaded. It looks like its never done any work at all LOL maybe just carried camping gear and a few cartons of piss.:D

The majority of our decks are timber with steel frames, either hardwood ( probably from Oz) or Poplar. Poplar is relativley soft, but dense so it handles impact well, and does not shatter. Hardwoods qualitys are well known. We can get a deck custom made here and fitted for about $1800 NZ. Looks like our decks are a bit narrower that what you guys get. All the decks I have seen in OZ are quite a bit wider that the trucks. Tend to get tangled up with scrub and stuff here if the deck is to wide.The alloy decks oxidise with air which is where the black stuff comes from. I'm sure you have had a aluminuim something and when it rubs on anything leaves a black smudge on what it has been rubbing on. Worse when it get wet.
Looks like your deck is a load by itself, but sure is strong. don't worry about you little korean car, - MATE I would hate to run up your backend with another cruiser. Thats just mean!! Do you drag it much of road? My tow bar was pretty much level with the chassis, and that used to drag a fair bit. Actually I recall a broken tail light that got caught on a rock climbing out of a sharp little cut, somewhere one day. The 75s are are about the longest off road trucks around here, so we tend to suffer on some tracks. BUT theres nothing that will outclimb them. Forget you SWB when climbing real hills the 75s rule when it comes to the steep stuff. Hence the purchase by most hillcountry farmers

Side notes:

Good stuff here...... Don't know much (like anything) bout intercoolers apart from the fact they cool the intake air before it gets to the good bit. So the air passing through the fins, cools the air inside the intercooler? The air inside the intercooler is gathered from the snorkel no doubt. So it cools the air making it more dense, which means the engine recieves more air in a given space? And increases performance. Whats the relation ship between the turbo and the intercooler. The turbo is driven by the exhaust right? It forces more air into the engine? once that air has been through the intercooler?.... just realised i don't know much at all. Perhaps thats why I leave my trucks pretty much standard, it easier that way. And Mr Toyota make a mighty fine 4WD.
Yes silly me, fancy wanting to suggest a chev motor in a Yota. I was pretty happy with my 96kw 1HZ so never contemplated a change. Not sure how I'm gonna handle 150kws. Good luck with getn that V8. Hope he can tell you more that what our local Toyota man has told me. They don't know when its going to be released, or when its getting here.

The majority of our decks are timber with steel frames, either hardwood ( probably from Oz) or Poplar. Poplar is relativley soft, but dense so it handles impact well, and does not shatter. Hardwoods qualitys are well known. We can get a deck custom made here and fitted for about $1800 NZ. Looks like our decks are a bit narrower that what you guys get. All the decks I have seen in OZ are quite a bit wider that the trucks. Tend to get tangled up with scrub and stuff here if the deck is to wide.The alloy decks oxidise with air which is where the black stuff comes from. I'm sure you have had a aluminuim something and when it rubs on anything leaves a black smudge on what it has been rubbing on. Worse when it get wet.
Looks like your deck is a load by itself, but sure is strong. don't worry about you little korean car, - MATE I would hate to run up your backend with another cruiser. Thats just mean!! Do you drag it much of road? My tow bar was pretty much level with the chassis, and that used to drag a fair bit. Actually I recall a broken tail light that got caught on a rock climbing out of a sharp little cut, somewhere one day. The 75s are are about the longest off road trucks around here, so we tend to suffer on some tracks. BUT theres nothing that will outclimb them. Forget you SWB when climbing real hills the 75s rule when it comes to the steep stuff. Hence the purchase by most hillcountry farmers

The trays are 1.8 wide which is only a bit wider then the bullbar. Most of them are built for tradesman or farmers and the width is not a drawback for them.
The swing out mirrors are installed so you can see around the tray.

Ive seen alloy go black but not much on a traytop.
I do drag it around a bit offroad,mainly in coastal dunes and the towbar ,well it it just ploughs the ground.:D
I could take it off but it looks like an all day job:confused:

Funny enough,even with the wider ,heavier tray with the canvas acting like a parachute it only uses 1-1.5 litres more per 100klms than the 73 with a new motor and fuel pump and 400kgs less.

Still no V8 diesels at the dealer:crybaby:

If you have a mate who merchandise general manager at a toyota dealer, then he should be getting you a cheap toyota V8 diesel for the 60:grinpimp:
Intercooler looks aircooled to me

Cheap I don't think so .. actually the 105 basic are sold here in more than 50 k USD that is hard !

HZJ-70 about 33 USD .. just wondering the V8 if it come, come in mmore than 35 k USD ..

Anycase he's making the diligences to know about V8 here in Panamá ! :D

Hey Welby, if that top mount intercooler is air/air you wont have anything like 150kw to play with unless openroad speeds on a nice cool day.Smart on a work truck Huh!!;)

The trays are 1.8 wide which is only a bit wider then the bullbar. Most of them are built for tradesman or farmers and the width is not a drawback for them.
The swing out mirrors are installed so you can see around the tray.

Ive seen alloy go black but not much on a traytop.
I do drag it around a bit offroad,mainly in coastal dunes and the towbar ,well it it just ploughs the ground.:D
I could take it off but it looks like an all day job:confused:

Funny enough,even with the wider ,heavier tray with the canvas acting like a parachute it only uses 1-1.5 litres more per 100klms than the 73 with a new motor and fuel pump and 400kgs less.

Still no V8 diesels at the dealer:crybaby:

Not sure how wide my deck was, when I look at the photos of your truck there actually does'nt look a lot of difference. Yep seen those swing out mirrors. Again we dont get them here, would be handy at times, and I guess you just swing them in when it gets to the rough narrow stuff. Good motors them 1HZs, I bet the truck rides nice with a bit of weight on it, mine was a bit harsh if empty, better with a box of 4WD gear on the back!! I was getting around 10 litres per 100klms, unless I started pushing it up over 100 clicks, then she sucked a bit more. Seemed happiest around 90ks about 2000rpm.

No V8s here either. Sent a s***ty Email to Toyota NZ, see if I can get some info.jeez they must know something by now!!

Cheap I don't think so .. actually the 105 basic are sold here in more than 50 k USD that is hard !

HZJ-70 about 33 USD .. just wondering the V8 if it come, come in mmore than 35 k USD ..

Anycase he's making the diligences to know about V8 here in Panamá ! :D

Good old US dollar. The 70 series turbo was $52k (NZ$) The V8 will be more, but under $60K. Price yet to be confirmed........as is the delivery date.

We need to be patient I guess.

Hey Welby, if that top mount intercooler is air/air you wont have anything like 150kw to play with unless openroad speeds on a nice cool day.Smart on a work truck Huh!!;)

Hi there diesel junkie, where abouts in godzone are you? According to the info I got in November from the local dealer the V8 is common rail, compression 16.8:1. DOHC turbo intercooled. No specs about the intercooler. The specs state 151kw at 3400 ( min) torque is 430nm at 1200 - 3200. It appears to flatten out after that. The specs I have printed, have DRAFT ONLY in big bold letters, other information on the net suggests 195kw with a single turbo, with the new 200 (100 series replacement) twin turbo having an excess of 220kw and 620nm. Apart from some panel changes forward of the A pillars the rest of the truck is the same as the 79 series turbo (HJTM) There are 2 cab chassis models, the VJTR and the VJTN. The VJTR replaces the basic 70 series ( HJQM) which comes with the standard 1HZ, the VJTN replaces the HJTM which has the straight six turbo, the flash mags, bucket seats, carpet, electric windows etc. I see in the specs also the basic model retains the sliding back windows, where as the VJTN has a solid back window. All the infos here i just gotta read it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom