New 70 Series V8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys,new here ,own a 80 series now but graduated from a JDM bj74,I work as a tech in a toyota dealership and saw an article for the new 70 series(available down here from jan 07) new sheet metal on the front,and wait for it a v8 turbo diesel with 151kw (same as 1hdfte) but 430nm from 1200rpm!! should be a beast,no petrol option down here as petrols quite pricey,cant wait to do a pre delivery on one!! will try to get some more info soon:)

Sounds cool, with the new Hilux's being more & more road oriented there'll probably be good demand for a new 70 series.

Cheers
Clint

yep hilux has gone soft/tacoma/american(dare i say it!!) also gona come out as a 5 door too so should steal some prado sales which are just an overated hilux surf/ fj cruiser down here

pics

i`ll see what i can do, the info i saw had just a black & white line drawing on the front

From here in SA

The test Vehicles are in Durban ! No photos allowed but there may be some on the web as as Australia's launch is earlier than SA.
Not a huge difference, slightly more modern front with altered wheel arches and plastic bumper.
Meetings in Jhb today put the likely price for RV troopie at about R330K,
At the mo the engine is standard non turbo 4,2 diesel and likely to stay for a year or so after which time that diesel won't conform to new emission standards and will probaly get same motor as landcruiser 200, a 4,4l twin turbo.
Rv version comes with 4 doors plus rear , ie 6 doors which is great and 5 seats, auto free wheel hubs, diff lock, alloy wheels, long range tanks, Heavy duty suspension , 40mm higher than standard, aircon and elec windows.

Forget the rumours, I have seen the new vehicles today !! no photos allowed A Diesel Troopie RV 4,2 ( no turbo) and petrol 4.5 and diesel pickup will launch in March 2007.
Dealers have already bought about 80 units of troopies. The troopie is a facelift of the jap built LC 70 on a medium chassis ( same as pickup), it looks more like a station wagon or SUV as it is about 200mm overall lower than my troopie even with a simlilar HD suspension lift and slightly wider, just some of the superfluous headroom of the old troopie removed. I have not been able to find any photos on the web but the LC 70 is one of those 2nd hand Jap imports seen in neighbouring countries
I would describe it as looking like the old square Jeep Cherokee with more modern LR discovery front end styling, still retains LC rugged look. There is bulge on the bonnet and lots of space in the engine compartment. Comes with auto locking hubs, diff lock, Aircon, HD toyota Alloy wheels, GY Grandtrek tyres, elecwindows, cen locking and cloth upholstery and small centre console, rear 3 seater bench seach folds up like regular S/wagon. 90 l tank but pickup has 180l, Dash is not much changed. Coils front , leaves rear and specs say disc brakes back.

LOL, I was told today they are 3 inches 75mm wider and the utes and troopies will have a non turbo 6 and the turbo V8 soon after. Guess we will have to wait and see.cheers

LOL, I was told today they are 3 inches 75mm wider and the utes and troopies will have a non turbo 6 and the turbo V8 soon after. Guess we will have to wait and see.cheers

Are they talking about 3 inches overall or just in the chassis to accomadate the new engine? When it was released in 4WD Monthly they were unsure about the body width.
This would make them as wide or wider than a 105 and possibly unsuitable for mine use.

I was told, quote " The new cab is 75mm wider than your 75 which makes it the same size as your 80 give or take a couple of mills". Also that the 6 would come first then the turbo V8. He also mentioned talk of a V6 but would not go further so I am not sure what that means.

I was told, quote " The new cab is 75mm wider than your 75 which makes it the same size as your 80 give or take a couple of mills". Also that the 6 would come first then the turbo V8. He also mentioned talk of a V6 but would not go further so I am not sure what that means.

I was just at the dealer after dropping the 75 off at the auto sparky. The salesman there reckons its all speculationas nothing official has been released.
I think the 75 mm thing was in the 4WD Monthly report.
We will wait and see;)

But they have leafs up front, or were you saying it will look like the 77?

It will BE a 77 and of course look like one but with an updated body.

There are coil versions like the HZJ/HDJ71/74/78/79 series

I think the FR leaf sprung versions were HJZ/PZJ76 .

Dayum! & I thought the front of my LJ71 Prado was a bit fugly compared to a proper 70 series, that's hideous.

Clint

for me, i don't find the LJ front look ugly. it isn't what i was used to true. but off road i have found the narrower and shorter hood to be an advantage. kind of reminds me somewhat with wheeling a 40. the HD 70 series and 60 sereis are brutal when cresting a hill...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom