New 70 Series V8 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi Welby
What have they got on the exhaust system, sensors? particulate trap? does
your manual say anything about burn cycles etc.
Able to get any photos of turbo/manifold route?

Big fat muffler which you can see. Couple of large bulbous things under the cab, exhaust is on the opposite side of the truck from the 75,78 & 79. Turbo is tucked away down low right beside mudguard, very difficult to see let alone photograph. Does not appear to be any sensors that are obvious, apart from ones that are in engine bay. Pretty hard to see anything of the engine due to that huge intercooler. Manual does say converter and exhaust in the region will get very hot and care need to be taken if parking in long dry grass etc, makes sense... its pretty dry here at the moment. Will see what I can do in the way of photos. How did those ones I took look? What do think of the colour?

Last edited:
well pretty brief course,drove from Taupo to palmy this morning left at 6am,3 hr drive with a friggin speeding ticket in the last 40ks:mad: :mad: was drivin a little lexus is200 couldnt tell the difference between 100 & 120 !!! anyways my own fault:doh: :beer: :beer: new 70 is 100mm wider overall with 80mm increase in front track (stretched the front of the frame & diff housing wider),engine has a stiffener bolted to the main caps for strength,2 throttle bodies,cast iron block!!,turbo is of the variable nozzle type as found on hilux(no waste gate) but is controlled by a vacuum diaprhagm instead of the dc electric motor like hilux(hmmm can anyone say easy boost increase!!!) most of the control systems are the same as hilux,will bring my book home tomorrow these things were just off the top of my head:D and no didnt get a drive or nuthin though they do have a really nice cafe at TNZ and everything was free:cheers: will have some more info later:beer: :beer: :beer:

Bummer bout the speeding ticket, bet your boss won't pay that either!! Surprised about the cast iron block, thought it was an all alloy job. Still I guess cast iron blocks last longer. WIll have alloy head I guess. Don't know nuffin bout turbos... so is it good or not?? No waste gate is good dont want to sound like a boy racer in his tricked out WRX. There is a little senser right at the front on the bottom of the motor, looks like a stick poked up could rip it right off!! Whats that for?? If it gets knocked off is it serious?? Might have to put a guard over it, which will be a prick of a job. Glad the tucker was good.
Thanks

Last edited:
love that box in that pic,thats some real kiwi styles bro!!!:D

Its a box I used to bolt to the deck of the old 75 when I was heading for the hills. Holds a good amount of gear. Had 5 x 20 litre containers of water in there to stop it bouncing around. Worked pretty good to. Certainley knew they were not there when I drove it the next day without it. Have a couple of others as well, for longer trips. Good things those flatdecks, man thay can hold some gear. 1 trip I did with 10 other 4WDs I ended up with 200 litres of fuel on the back of the old 75. Was not a problem though, just sat down a bit more on the old leaf springs. Had my mate in his 79 there as well, and we were the only flatdecks. He ended up with most of the food.

In a marine application you have almost unlimited cooling capability and I would see this as a major difference.

too true,shame i havent got a few spare 1hd-ft`s lying round:D

Bummer bout the speeding ticket, bet your boss won't pay that either!! Surprised about the cast iron block, thought it was an all alloy job. Still I guess cast iron blocks last longer. WIll have alloy head I guess. Don't know nuffin bout turbos... so is it good or not?? No waste gate is good dont want to sound like a boy racer in his tricked out WRX. There is a little senser right at the front on the bottom of the motor, looks like a stick poked up could rip it right off!! Whats that for?? If it gets knocked off is it serious?? Might have to put a guard over it, which will be a prick of a job. Glad the tucker was good.
Thanks

that sensor was it like a small round one welby ? from memory it was an oil pressure sender,i reckon it looked a bit vulnerable too,would hate to knock that bugger off way in the back blocks:crybaby: with a V8 i dont think you much chance of sounding like a boyracer! unless your of the oldschool!!:D mind you youd probably give that turkey in his WRX a fright if you lined him up at the lights:cheers:

too true,shame i havent got a few spare 1hd-ft`s lying round:D

that sensor was it like a small round one welby ? from memory it was an oil pressure sender,i reckon it looked a bit vulnerable too,would hate to knock that bugger off way in the back blocks:crybaby: with a V8 i dont think you much chance of sounding like a boyracer! unless your of the oldschool!!:D mind you youd probably give that turkey in his WRX a fright if you lined him up at the lights:cheers:

Yep thats the one. Guess it depends on how bad you knocked it off. be OK if you just knocked the wires off, but if you ripped the whole thing of it could certainley be messy. Pretty keen on these modern V8s, I could get used to a Clubsport or similar parked in the garage.
Thanks for the info on the sensor, might have to look at a guard of some sort.

Picture644.jpg

Picture645.jpg

Does that ugly thing still have tape over the snorkle?, yet a couple of ks on it, like most do here?

yep, Some was still hanging off there. LOL :idea: You are talking about the Ford Explorer x 4runner looking thing with the retro 60 guards aren't you by:whoops: Toyota. Sure have lost the character :crybaby: of the earlier models but the dam things fly:cool: .Few nice utes on the road here now zoom zoom,:eek: there gone.:grinpimp: :ban:

yep, Some was still hanging off there. LOL :idea: You are talking about the Ford Explorer x 4runner looking thing with the retro 60 guards aren't you by:whoops: Toyota. Sure have lost the character :crybaby: of the earlier models but the dam things fly:cool: .Few nice utes on the road here now zoom zoom,:eek: there gone.:grinpimp: :ban:

Done just over 2000 clicks in mine now, just wondered if there are any more out there on the road in NZ ( or anywhere else) and how they are going.? I traded the OME tyres on some 285/75 BFGs MTs, geared it up a bit, but speedo etc still reads right (can't figure that out) Original tyres were 265/70s, and cheap and nasty. Have carted a fair bit of stuff around, and the biggest difference between this and the old 1HZ is when they are loaded. Not big loads, but a reasonable load. You could feel the difference with the 1HZ with a load performace dropped of a bit, and those hills you could cruise up in top gear empty, you end up changing down a cog or 2. The V8 you dont. Very little difference in performance loaded or not. Rides better though, typically 75 series. Top gear is a little taller than the 79 series, so unless you can keep 70ks plus on a hill I change down, mainly to avoid stressing the engine as its still bedding in. Have noticed that there is a bit more pull now that the ks are geting up a bit. Have finally got the deck made and installed, and towbar and towhooks (suspect the rear towhook might get used a bit towing others) Still waiting for Mr Toyota to front up with bull bars and side bars ad steps before i go bush to much. Fuel consumption seems to be the same or a bit better than the 79 series. Did 690ks on 76 litres. Fuel light came on, so thought better gas up. Supposed to have a 90 litre tank so in theory had 15 litres left which should be good for around 100ks plus a bit. Nice to know there is a decent reserve.

Any other comments?? any 5 door wagons out there yet?? Plenty in the Toyota yards here. Have not seen any on the roads

Last edited:
Thanks dude .. this feedback it's worthy !

Might be thrashing a dead horse here, just wondered if any one else had any coments about the new 70 series, or what.??

have been out off roading 3 times, done some pretty steep stuff, the thing is scary just keeps climbing. Places where the old 1HZ was in low 2, 3000rpm and starting to lose, that V8 will pull away from a 1000rpm easy as, and with no wheel spin or any dramas. The V8 is shod with bigger and better rubber than the old 1HZ was though.

Anyone driving the V8 off road yet?? apart from me??

Anyone driving the V8 off road yet?? apart from me??

Be happy dude .. you are one of the few ones with this privilege around the world ..

Be happy dude .. you are one of the few ones with this privilege around the world ..

Guess you are right...... and believe me I'm happy. I'm no mechanic so a new truck is the best way for me to have piece of mind 4WDing. Not that I'm going to go silly, as the truck has more than 1 role in life.
Thanks for your interest, and hope you enjoyed my ravings. Will post some pics once I have the bars all done and fitted.

:cheers:

Guess you are right...... and believe me I'm happy. I'm no mechanic so a new truck is the best way for me to have piece of mind 4WDing. Not that I'm going to go silly, as the truck has more than 1 role in life.
Thanks for your interest, and hope you enjoyed my ravings. Will post some pics once I have the bars all done and fitted.

:cheers:

I hope you can make some video .. I dead for ear this V8 sound !

I just saw one of the new lc79s this morning on Via Espana on my way to work here in Panama. I'm guessing that it had the V8, but I'm not sure.

I just saw one of the new lc79s this morning on Via Espana on my way to work here in Panama. I'm guessing that it had the V8, but I'm not sure.

With the new front . ?

With the new front I thought only come 71 and 76 .. for now ..

If it have the hood scoop, have a chance to run the V8

I'm 100% sure that it was a lc79....and yes with the new front. I can't be sure, however, if it was a diesel though since I only saw it for about three seconds and I didn't get a chance to see the hood. Anyway I'm just glad to see that we are going to get them here in Panama! I wonder how much Ricardo Perez is asking for them?

BTW, I was on my way to Tocumen early one morning a few weeks ago and I saw a bunch of cruisers on the side of the road that looked like they were on their way to Cerro Azul. Maybe it was you?

Suerte

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom