New 70 Series V8 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

other information on the net suggests 195kw with a single turbo, with the new 200 (100 series replacement) twin turbo having an excess of 220kw and 620nm.

Those are numbers that I really keep waiting !

Iam totally :mad: at Toyota for not bring in the 76 series into oz and only turning it into a v8 with no power gains.I was thinking to get a h3 but no oiler so I dont know what to trade into now:crybaby:

New news!!
Have heard from our local agent. Trucks are expected in NZ 1st week of April. Press release 28th March. They expect to have the trucks for the press release a day or 2 either side of that date. Will have a 5 door station wagon as a press drive, so should be getting some feed back within a week or so. Also have been told that the truck behind the A pilars is the same as the 79 series. Asked that question so I can get a deck made before the truck arrives. Have had it from the top that the deck mounts and chassis are the same. Only changes made are due to the V8, so different panels and a wider track. If its no better than the 79 series, it will still be a good truck. Just the set up of the 79 turbo made it a far better truck than the 78. The 78 was very firm riding and did not keep its feet on the ground. The 79 seems to ride a lot better, and suspension works better. Pity the steering lock was not as good as the earlier models. My old 91 flatdeck, could turn a whole vehilce width inside the 79 on a fulllock turn. I spose some sacrafice due to the coils. Will post more info as it comes to hand. Just need asome TJM bars etc and I wil be onto it!!

New news!!
Have heard from our local agent. Trucks are expected in NZ 1st week of April. Press release 28th March. They expect to have the trucks for the press release a day or 2 either side of that date. Will have a 5 door station wagon as a press drive, so should be getting some feed back within a week or so. Also have been told that the truck behind the A pilars is the same as the 79 series. Asked that question so I can get a deck made before the truck arrives. Have had it from the top that the deck mounts and chassis are the same. Only changes made are due to the V8, so different panels and a wider track. If its no better than the 79 series, it will still be a good truck. Just the set up of the 79 turbo made it a far better truck than the 78. The 78 was very firm riding and did not keep its feet on the ground. The 79 seems to ride a lot better, and suspension works better. Pity the steering lock was not as good as the earlier models. My old 91 flatdeck, could turn a whole vehilce width inside the 79 on a fulllock turn. I spose some sacrafice due to the coils. Will post more info as it comes to hand. Just need asome TJM bars etc and I wil be onto it!!

Good news. I thought the 78/79 had the same suspension and both were crap.
The shop I go to fits about 5-10 complete Dobinson suspension kits onto brand new 78/79/105 series diesels for the north west.
Each week they take a medium sized skip away with mainly brand new coils,leaves and shocks.
The OEM coils look pitifully fragile compared to the thickness of the aftermarket gear.
The shop owner says he cant even sell them anymore as they have such a bad reputation on mine sites.
Also , a local dealer sells complete new kits for the same models for $200. I bet these also been removed from vehicles heading north.

Nice ..

But I thought the 79 have diferent chasis than 78 coz 78 it's really long ( compromise the center angle ) and the 78 and 79 have rear spring packs ? ( unless are diferent than here )

Nice ..

But I thought the 79 have diferent chasis than 78 coz 78 it's really long ( compromise the center angle ) and the 78 and 79 have rear spring packs ? ( unless are diferent than here )

The 79 series cab chassis is actually longer with an overall length 5075mm and wheelbase 3180mm compared to the 78 series troopy with 5060 and 2980.

Yes,leaf springs on the rear.

I think the old 75 series troopy and cab chassis were the same wheelbase and the same chassis but they increased the length of the 79 cab chassis so it could compete better in the pick up market.
Increasing the length of the troopy would have been a much bigger job as you would have needed a body redesign

Birfield.com specs on the 75 series troopy say it is shorter than a 78 series troopy but I think the difference is whether it is measured with a spare tyre on the door.
The 73/74 overall lengths are always measured with a spare on the door but on the 75 series troopy the door mounted spare was optional or trim related;)

Good news. I thought the 78/79 had the same suspension and both were ****.
The shop I go to fits about 5-10 complete Dobinson suspension kits onto brand new 78/79/105 series diesels for the north west.
Each week they take a medium sized skip away with mainly brand new coils,leaves and shocks.
The OEM coils look pitifully fragile compared to the thickness of the aftermarket gear.
The shop owner says he cant even sell them anymore as they have such a bad reputation on mine sites.
Also , a local dealer sells complete new kits for the same models for $200. I bet these also been removed from vehicles heading north.

I only know of a couple of 78s and have 2 mates who have 79s. Both had owned 78s before the 79s. Both also thought the 78s were pretty hard riding, and the 79s a much better truck set up wise. Suspension seems more compliant and softer riding, but the truck still carrys a tonne with pretty much no dramas. The 78s hardly knew they had a tonne on them suspension wise, hardly changed the ride at all. I guess your trucks spend heaps of time on back roads, and do heaps of ks. Ours probably do not, hence the difference in suspension changeouts I guess. Have not heard of Dobinsons here, but have had very little to do with suspension as well. If I had kept the 75 I think I would have done a ARB Old Man Emu upgrade with 50mm lift. Should have been possible with no dramas and no change in mounts etc. How does the OME stack up with you guys, does it last the distance? have heard that its not to good if it lives on the outback roads for any length of time.
Not aware of any issues with original equipment here with the 70 series, but certainly a lot of upgrades occur here, but mainly due to lift kits, and guys wanting bigger tyres under the trucks.

Will have to wait and see how the new truck shapes up.

I only know of a couple of 78s and have 2 mates who have 79s. Both had owned 78s before the 79s. Both also thought the 78s were pretty hard riding, and the 79s a much better truck set up wise. Suspension seems more compliant and softer riding, but the truck still carrys a tonne with pretty much no dramas. The 78s hardly knew they had a tonne on them suspension wise, hardly changed the ride at all. I guess your trucks spend heaps of time on back roads, and do heaps of ks. Ours probably do not, hence the difference in suspension changeouts I guess. Have not heard of Dobinsons here, but have had very little to do with suspension as well. If I had kept the 75 I think I would have done a ARB Old Man Emu upgrade with 50mm lift. Should have been possible with no dramas and no change in mounts etc. How does the OME stack up with you guys, does it last the distance? have heard that its not to good if it lives on the outback roads for any length of time.
Not aware of any issues with original equipment here with the 70 series, but certainly a lot of upgrades occur here, but mainly due to lift kits, and guys wanting bigger tyres under the trucks.

Will have to wait and see how the new truck shapes up.

The suspension shops around here say the springs were more designed for load carrying ,on road duties and dont articulate well.
Take them offroad with a load and everything starts sagging within 6 months.
The 79 series that were going North,were off to the iron ore mines and will spend a couple of years on roads carved out for the dump trucks with 9 ft tyres but are pretty rough for vehicles with normal sized tyres

David*BJ70 went and see the truck by himself, i'm sure he may shim in and comment it. But here is a pic he posted in a other forum.

2007-03-13-2.jpg

guys just had a ride in the new 76 series today in melb vic australia. V8 4500 D-4-D turbo intercooled. this truck was awesome, nice ride heaps of power and one great rumble from the front 2500-4500rpm

guys just had a ride in the new 76 series today in melb vic australia. V8 4500 D-4-D turbo intercooled. this truck was awesome, nice ride heaps of power and one great rumble from the front 2500-4500rpm

Aahh you are a lucky man. Any comments over there from the press yet, has it been officialy released in Oz? Not due for release here untill the 28th March, the dealer expect the new models a few days after that.

Wrong thread ,its a 6cyl,this is a V8 70 series thread:flipoff2:

Good spotting Rosco, i thought it looked like a 6 from the photo. Interesting that they are still putting that motor in the new shape. Does not like we are going to get that option here. That looked like the basic model still has steel rims. Not sure if they are going to continue with the split rims on that model. Do you guys have the option of the V8 and the inline 6in Oz? I guess its the turbo model?
Are toyota caling the new shape the 76 series? have had no blurb on that over here.

Good spotting Rosco, i thought it looked like a 6 from the photo. Interesting that they are still putting that motor in the new shape. Does not like we are going to get that option here. That looked like the basic model still has steel rims. Not sure if they are going to continue with the split rims on that model. Do you guys have the option of the V8 and the inline 6in Oz? I guess its the turbo model?
Are toyota caling the new shape the 76 series? have had no blurb on that over here.

The old engines are being sold in countries that have less stringent pollution laws.
That one in that pic probabaly cant ever be registered in Canada unless it slips below the radar somehow:D

Aust will only get the v8.
Ive heard very little from Toyota aust but rumour has it there is a very large roro boat from Toyota unloading in Fremantle right this moment and some dealers have moved their stock around leaving a vacant patch at the front of their yard;)

The old engines are being sold in countries that have less stringent pollution laws.
That one in that pic probabaly cant ever be registered in Canada unless it slips below the radar somehow:D

Aust will only get the v8.
Ive heard very little from Toyota aust but rumour has it there is a very large roro boat from Toyota unloading in Fremantle right this moment and some dealers have moved their stock around leaving a vacant patch at the front of their yard;)

Sounds like there some in Melbourne, be a bit far for you to go I would imagine!! If they are in Fremantle that sounds bit closer to you. First ride sounds promising.

Quebec, Canada. But not registered for road use, only offroad. So maybe it doesn't fall into the more strict onroad rules.

Quebec, Canada. But not registered for road use, only offroad. So maybe it doesn't fall into the more strict onroad rules.
why can't you get it reg. in Canada:crybaby:
I can't believe that you guys aren't disappointed at the low power output for that size:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom