New 70 Series V8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

no airbags

I stole this from an aussie site ,its a reporter discussing airbags for new 79/76 series.

"Quote from Dave Buttner, Toyota Australia Sales and Marketing Chief

"The vehicle is not available with an airbag, either as standard or an option"

Following on the reporter includes

.......people who buy the 70 series workhorse, and the situations where it is used, do not require any sort of airbag.

........Engineering airbags into the 70 series would have meant a redesign of the chassis and front end sheet metal, and the demand for the rugged workhorse simply did not justify the work or investment.

......."The current generation has run for quite some time and will run for some time yet," Buttner says. "

SO NO AIRBAGS:D

Thanks Roscoe, I would have been surprised to see airbags. I don't intend to run into anything anyway!!
Cheers

Last time I saw a 75 series troopy have a head on smash with a little Korean car it went over the top and the troopy driver walked away with a dislocated shoulder.

Unfortunately for the 17 yo female overtaking on a hill on the wrong side of the road ,she didnt make it.

Not pretty

That would have been messy. Waste of a good Troopy. We had a TV program, one of those documentary type. The program was basically againest 4WD in Urban areas as they were potential killers. Only 15% of 4WDs in NZ are used off road, therefore ban them from town, due to the highrisk to other road users. If you hit a 4WD you are more likely to be killed than if you hit another car.

Anyway enough of that.

ANYMORE NEWS OF THESE V8s !! NEED INPUT!! MORE INFO PLEASE.

You guys have been really great, I have found out heaps more on this forum than Mr Local Toyota man could ever hope to tell me. Is there any in Oz yet?? Does anyone know where thay are made in Japan.?

Looked at another forum last night, some guy reckons he engines are old hence the large capacity and relativley low output figures. I sort of figured that if its reasonably low output, the engine and turbo and not stressed, and will therefore last longer. Like the 1HZ, just keeps on keeping on.

Thanks for the info Roscoe

See Ya

The v8 diesel is reputed to be 2 Corrola C series diesel 4 cyl joined at the hip.
These 4 cyl C diesel (1CD-FTV)were released in small numbers in Finland in 1995 to rally drivers with 110 hp ex factory so I guess thats a hint of things to come:D

Toyota is not going to release a full blooded version 1st up and upstage the coming 200 series which will have twin turbos and 195 kw.

Whats Nissan going to do to catch up anyway? Their 4cyl 3.0 TD is already hand grenading before 200000 klms and all they can do is put a shorter dipstick in it.

The Defender TD is also at its max power.

So if they are saying a 150 kw is not enough ,what are they comparing it with???;)

So if they are saying a 150 kw is not enough ,what are they comparing it with???;)

With others V8 full size 1 Ton trucks ..

The problem is .. Toyota make a big name, and large list of fans .. Cruiserheads, so we hope Toyota con with something really nice and reliable.

195 kw sounds a better number than 151 .. the 1HD-FTE make 150 km ..

Full size 1 Ton trucks is what the tundra is all about. The *J7* (and their engines) have never been produced to share the same market- there is very little comparison between the two (including drivetrains).

But Tundra it's a gasser .. !

What about 1Ton Diesel Toyota truck .. or SUV .. ? and more than 1Ton rated as cargo capabilities .. I thought 1Ton power in a V8 engine.

The problem is .. Toyota make a big name, and large list of fans .. Cruiserheads, so we hope Toyota con with something really nice and reliable.

I was selfishly thinking of the aussie market only:D The north american V8 pick up have a bigger payload and are not really in competition with the 79 series here.

And the F250,Dodge Ram's are usually owned by chrome cowboys and rarely used for anything except scaring old ladies at the shopping mall:D

The big competition here is with the Hilux ,Nissan Navara, Mistubishi Triton and Mazda Bravo. They all carry 1 ton and have smaller but powerul V6 engines which are more economical and more comfortable.
For tradesman and business owners,they make more sense if you dont need the offroad ruggedness of a landcruiser

Last edited:

Just got around to reading the march 2007 edition on Overlander 4wd and they say that Toyota's figure of 15okw is only a minimum and say the real figure maybe more like 165kw:D

Assume this new puppy is common rail and that is a water/air intercooler on top?? (Hope its not air/air)Sigh... i luv the sixes and i feel they could be developed much further, 200kw wouldnt be a stretch.
Sure wouldn`t want to be in the middle of nowhere when the c/r injectors cause trouble on one of these high tech puppies!

Yeah, at least with those indirect injection, 1hz injectors, - the later 2 spring ones, ya could fix them on the side of the road with a hammer and a screwdriver.
Damm ... .... fuel efficient .....emisions technology......making more power...
They should put a 2H motor in it! or maybe a 2F!

LOL:grinpimp:

Sorry - Ive got to go to work, so Im a bit grumpy.....:frown:

The King is dead!:crybaby:

The Nissans are coming.:eek:

Matt

I was selfishly thinking of the aussie market only:D The north american V8 pick up have a bigger payload and are not really in competition with the 79 series here.

And the F250,Dodge Ram's are usually owned by chrome cowboys and rarely used for anything except scaring old ladies at the shopping mall:D

The big competition here is with the Hilux ,Nissan Navara, Mistubishi Triton and Mazda Bravo. They all carry 1 ton and have smaller but powerul V6 engines which are more economical and more comfortable.
For tradesman and business owners,they make more sense if you dont need the offroad ruggedness of a landcruiser

Same here in NewZeland Rosco. The Nissan, and Tritons and Holdens etc are certainley getting their payloads up. Most are not really capable of handling a full 1 ton, even if they do advertise it. Most of them could not handle it on a lot of our back country roads. (NZ has lots of hills). The Cruisers are a lot more popular here now than were say 4 years ago. The price has dropped, and that has driven a lot of demand. Also our towing regs have changed so the weight of the Cruiser becomes attractive. They have a braked towing capicity of 3500kgs here, where as most of the other utes are 1000 - 1500kg less than that. Comfort wise the 79 would be on a par ( No aircon here) where as any earlier models are pretty sparton if you compare with the other lighter Utes. The new triton here comes with a rear factory locker, nothing else does apart from a cruiser. Most Cruiser flatdecks are now being bought by our hill country farmers, mining companys and by mobile mechanics servicing the mining and forestry machinery. Again they are buying them as they can handle the load they need to cary, and tow a big trailer. Hiluxs, Nissans, Tritons etc are being bought by farmers on the flat and heaps of other contractors builders, plumber etc. If used as machinery service trucks they just fall to bits with the loads they end up having to carry.

Thanks to all you guys for all the other information as well. My local Toyota man gave me a "sales information" sheet that their sales guys use. Its stating 151kw, but they did say some things might change. Certainley for me 151kw would be enough. Even with my Simex Extreme Trekkers, the 1hz never ran out of puff, and that was 96kw. Looks like the gearing is much the same, 5th is a little taller, which would not be bad. My 75 was doing 2400revs at 100 clicks, I was quite often looking for another gear that was not there.

But Tundra it's a gasser .. !

What about 1Ton Diesel Toyota truck .. or SUV .. ? and more than 1Ton rated as cargo capabilities .. I thought 1Ton power in a V8 engine.

Hi Tapage, No other trucks like that in NZ. Nissan do not bring in their cab Chassis. As Rosco said, we have Ford F250s and they are really just to big for our roads, and far to big for our trails. There are a few 150s and Dodge Rams etc, and a few Tundras, but the price of fuel and their size just makes them a difficult proposition to justify. Almost all of them here are in the hands of "chrome cowboys" or used for TowBars. I have never seen one off road, or a dirty one.

Ya .. I'm agree in some statement like les weight more power ..

Here in Panamá we have a huge brande markes, starting in Ford, Mazda, Nissan, Toyota, Dodge, Avalanche .. daba daba dab ..

The issue is ( to me ) Toyota already have the 1HD-FTE Turbo Intercooler engine .. that runs the 100 series ( here and no option to this engine in a 105 ) pretty fine and fast ..

1HD-FTE engine are rated 150 KM - 205 HP .. it's nice in a 6L Toyota engine .. but if we already have this engine with great performance and Toyota sayd V8 Twin Turbo Intercooler .. wouuu !

To me it means much more power than a 4.2 single turbo and intercoler .. but don't stop here .. more Common Rail .. if you take reference about 1KD-FTV Common Rail in the Hi Lux ( available here in both versions .. 3.0 and 2.5 ) and the Fortuner .. with 168 HP ..

Again .. what I want for a V8 Twin Turbo and Intercooler . ? at least 280 HP :D

Actually I know Toyota are not interested in power races with Cummings or Powermoske v8 engines .. we talk about quiality and reliability ..

But who don't want more ponies .?

Thanks to all you guys for all the other information as well. My local Toyota man gave me a "sales information" sheet that their sales guys use. Its stating 151kw, but they did say some things might change. Certainley for me 151kw would be enough. Even with my Simex Extreme Trekkers, the 1hz never ran out of puff, and that was 96kw. Looks like the gearing is much the same, 5th is a little taller, which would not be bad. My 75 was doing 2400revs at 100 clicks, I was quite often looking for another gear that was not there.

Im sure 151kw would be more than enough for me too. I also find myself looking for another gear. At 110kph the 1HZ seems as if it could handle a 5th with a higher ratio or another gear.
However I think the 1HZs lack of noise is misleading and if there was another gear it would bog down on a slight incline.
I did 730klms in my HZJ75 in 7 hrs a few weeks ago on quiet country back roads.
I sat on 110-120kph and had 3 breaks for fuel and food.
It used about 13-14 ltr per 100klm with about 500kg in the back and my canvas canopy working like an airbrake.
It would have been hard to convince me then it needed more power . Its over taking at speed where the 1HZ falls down but I only had to overtake 3-4 times that day

Again .. what I want for a V8 Twin Turbo and Intercooler . ? at least 280 HP :D

Actually I know Toyota are not interested in power races with Cummings or Powermoske v8 engines .. we talk about quiality and reliability ..

But who don't want more ponies .?

People in oz like you install a rebuilt chev 6.5 diesel:D
Americans often complain they are unreliable but I hear very few complaints here.
Most of the complaints are more to do with bad installs or the noise they generate.

Someone was driving from here up to Darwin yesterday, got halfway out to the Stuart highway and the fuel pump on their 1HZ blew. They were told no replacement in Katherine, because Toyota were gearing up for the new V8s. Sounds like bullsh*t to me, more likely the dealership was caught out. There will be 1HZs kicking on around here for a few decades more, hopefully Toyota will keep with the program

Someone was driving from here up to Darwin yesterday, got halfway out to the Stuart highway and the fuel pump on their 1HZ blew. They were told no replacement in Katherine, because Toyota were gearing up for the new V8s. Sounds like bullsh*t to me, more likely the dealership was caught out. There will be 1HZs kicking on around here for a few decades more, hopefully Toyota will keep with the program

Was the owner trying to buy a new pump? Surely a wrecker in Katherine or Alice would have had something.
1HZ parts are not as rare as they once were.

Definitely bull**** from the dealer.Just because you are gearing up for the new model you dont neglect all the old parts.

It was the 23rd yesterday,the day that dealers start getting consignments of the new model,must go and have a look Monday with the camera;)

Not sure about the details, I got the story from the guy's wife, who was trying to organise all the towing and parts by phone from a crabbers camp near here. Maybe the dealers were busy with the new model coming in, couldn't be bothered dealing with a breakdown. I doubt Australian Toyo dealers will give up on 1HZs for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom