New 1985 FJ60 Copart auction purchase...what an odyssey (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.4wdtoyotaowner.com
Introducing our new 1985 FJ60! Original 2F with 397,500+ miles (!!) and a California truck that somehow came to New Hampshire.

We decided to try Copart with an auction purchase through their Billerica, Massachusetts office and what an ordeal that has been, but we kind of knew that in advance. This was NOT a crashed auction, but an off-site sale of a supposedly run and drive rig, with clear title.

Attached are the photos as the vehicle was represented. Not bad! Represented as run and drive.

Down below (a few posts) areas it really is. Nicely done angles hiding the destroyed front seat, the flaking clear coat on hood, and rear panel torn/loose.

Title was an odyssey too. Took over 45 days to arrive from the PO.

Copart at its best. Don't just expect the unexpected, expect the worst! To be fair, the people at the Billerica office were always kind and friendly.

However the FJ60 didn't run as advertised. Note: common problem on Copart auctions. They may run and drive when the show up but after weeks on the yard batteries die, etc.

I have to give props and huge thanks to @landtank and @yodafrick. Both of these Cruiserhead gentlemen went above and beyond to help diagnose and get the truck running.

So it was DOA. Landtank came out and personally installed new wires, plugs, distributor cap and more. Still wouldn't run, so Yodafrick towed it to his place and got it running there. Purrs now! Yodafrick says the frame is immaculate. Carfax shows all of life except at the end (now) spent in California. You should see how many smog tests it went through! Failed a few, but PO always got it to pass shortly after!

Plan is to build a sweet expedition truck. In no particular order or importance, we will:
Ditch those wheels for proper Land Cruiser wheels.
New tires
Possible engine swap to Lexus 1UZ V8
Front and rear bumpers
Hard shell RTT
Lockers
Touch up or replace the "TOYOTA" emblem. Decide if the blacked out grille should go back to chrome. Opinions?

Been awhile since we have had an FJ60 project so I'm jazzed to get into this one.

4fda4fe9-61ba-4f8a-9971-e764d4ad058e.JPG

4fe58ff0-0bc0-4352-ae1e-f22be90700e0.JPG

05ca8288-09a6-4739-983c-a1327cace998.JPG

6fa69ee3-c4f2-45cc-9ddf-3d8c12b06d40.JPG

8a69cc4a-2cbd-41ba-8d77-e3d8c6597c18.JPG

More from auction site photos....

8ab4e83f-c019-427f-bd55-243ec97e0760.JPG

9e2010e7-eecc-4a2a-909a-e70b717ce0ee.JPG

85a9e74b-85fa-4bdb-96fe-1298bc6884aa.JPG

900c8579-10dd-40a7-8980-ba65bd875a39.JPG

As it is. Overall, not bad. Seller definitely hid the flaws though.

IMG_1416.JPG

IMG_1417.JPG

IMG_1418.JPG

IMG_1419.JPG

A few more...

IMG_1420.JPG

IMG_1421.JPG

IMG_1422.JPG

IMG_1423.JPG

Definitely some purposeful angles used in the ad photography. It's one thing if there's a rip or tear in a seat that does t show, it's another when the seat looks like an animal ate half of it.

Still a good looking truck, and a nice find for the east coast.

A few times I've seen a car on CoPart I'm interested in, but the rules on who can buy/dealer license required in some states, not in others is a major PITA to sort out based on where the car is being sold from. Easier to not deal with them

I'd leave grille black. Really don't like the dash pad though. Window stickers have got to go too. :cheers:

That front seat cushion is owned. If you keep the stock seats, SOR has exact replacement bottom cushions for $200. Original upholstery is NLA, but there’s a guy on eBay out of Venezuela who makes a really close match to the brown striped factory seat covers. Decent pricing, too. No affiliation - maybe someone here has experience with them?

It's one thing if there's a rip or tear in a seat that does t show, it's another when the seat looks like an animal ate half of it.

I literally LOL'ed at that comment!

That front seat cushion is owned. If you keep the stock seats, SOR has exact replacement bottom cushions for $200. Original upholstery is NLA, but there’s a guy on eBay out of Venezuela who makes a really close match to the brown striped factory seat covers. Decent pricing, too. No affiliation - maybe someone here has experience with them?

Cool, thanks for the tip! Will check out today.

This was my (truly) animal-eaten seat - the PO's loose puppy was alone inside for 15 minutes.

That's a very clean truck for the miles, age, and history. As for the black grille, if the chrome is good, I would wipe of the spray paint with chlorinated brake cleaner. If you choose not, I would at least reveal the white 'Toyota' front emblem.

DSCN1677.jpg

I've had nothing but bad results with anything associated with 'Copart'.

You are lucky the truck is as nice as it is.

Does your new Title say, 'Salvaged'?

I've had nothing but bad results with anything associated with 'Copart'.

You are lucky the truck is as nice as it is.

Does your new Title say, 'Salvaged'?

No, but there is a white sticker with a bar code at upper right that I've never seen on a title before. Any ideas?

Huh, that's new to me, and I just received a Dupe Calif Title on a early 40 last week.

EDIT:

It's just Copart inventory tracking... I googled that number and this came up:

https://www.copart.com/lot/37788647

Nice truck - and man, you lucked out: Not a Salvage title !

Sweet find, yep that's it! Cool. And this "Google" you speak of? Is it very popular? Some kind of fad? :)

You have a great starting point. Mine was way worse, and here it is today. Good luck:cheers:

Coyote Flats 2017 091.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom