Potential Purchase FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,
I've been watching FJ60 and FJ62s for the last five years and am finally in a place where I can pull the trigger. About an hour from my home, I found a 1987 with 245k for $13k, and I was hoping for your feedback.

The seller repainted it and I'm worried the repaint is covering up too much rust damage to really know what I'm getting. The more I look it it over, the more I'm thinking this is too much of a project for $13k- would you all agree with that or am I overthinking this?

Thank you all for your insight.

IMG_8537.jpeg

IMG_8541.jpeg

IMG_8542.jpeg

IMG_8538.jpeg

IMG_8540.jpeg

Pretend that the vehicle had bad old worn original paint and looked tired in that respect. Basically ignore the new shiny paint.
Is everything else up to your standards? Engine? Interior? Frame rust? Suspension?
New pretty paint often blinds new buyers from seeing the vehicle for what it really is.
Sometimes (not saying this vehicle) new paint is like lipstick on a pig.

A nice paint job is expensive- like 8k. So the 13K the seller is asking is taking into account the cost of the paint job in the past.

I would pass at 13k.

Gross. Do not buy for $13k.
The seller should be asking half that. And if its in good running condition with some maintenance done, then it would make a sweet truck for someone looking to continue to drive it into the ground. It's rusting out That person would need to be willing to look the other way of rust holes, water leaks

That said, you live out west where 13k can get you a way better truck, and if your willing to shop around or even travel a bit, you could score a real gem.

For $13k? Run. Keep looking for the right one.

Run and don't look back or you will turn into a pillar of rust. :rofl:
$13k? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

That’s a hard nope.

If you’ve been waiting five years to get one then wait until you find one that is not a rust project. If you’ve got 13k for one of these things then wait for the right one to hit the market. They’re out there.

Lots of people buy junkers because they β€œcannot” wait. I did that with my first one. Bought it because I had money burning a hole in my pocket and I HAD TO HAVE IT… didn’t even drive it after I got it home and it died in the driveway. It was way too rusty to even think about toying with.

Don't walk away, RUN! Be patient, there is much better out there.

hard pass for me...

Come to think of it, there are some vehicles I know of locally that would sell for $13K or so that I would honestly recommend to buy before this one. Heck, I would help you out if you want some help with a presale inspection or whatever
Welcome to PM me.

Hi All,
I've been watching FJ60 and FJ62s for the last five years and am finally in a place where I can pull the trigger. About an hour from my home, I found a 1987 with 245k for $13k, and I was hoping for your feedback.

The seller repainted it and I'm worried the repaint is covering up too much rust damage to really know what I'm getting. The more I look it it over, the more I'm thinking this is too much of a project for $13k- would you all agree with that or am I overthinking this?

Thank you all for your insight.

View attachment 3457439

View attachment 3457440

View attachment 3457441

View attachment 3457442

View attachment 3457443
I had the fever for years. Bought my rig about 9 years ago - and hadn't discovered Mud then (and even after I did, I only lurked for a long time before joining). The truck that I bought was freshly painted and just as some above noted... I was a stupid sucker. It was a rusty pig. The paint started to bubble after 6 months of ownership.

Had to teach myself to weld and do lots of other basic (and some major) things to get my 62 safe as my daily driver. It is now. I learned a lot of painful monetary lessons... and it was worth it. BUT, knowing what I know now, I would have bought a different truck initially. Now, I wouldn't exchange it for anything

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom