Need to Replace the Windshield on the 100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is the consensus on aftermarket vs. factory? It appears that the aftermarket windshield on the 100 started cracking at the bottom without and impact. @iptman, I know that you ordered a factory windshield for your 80. Which way should I go with this? Can I do this myself?

Pretty much all aftermarket glass comes from China now, that's why I went with OEM (Asahi Glass Co made in Japan). Is the 100 series windshield sealed similarly to the 80 with a gasket and sealer used on both the body and glass channel?

What is the consensus on aftermarket vs. factory? It appears that the aftermarket windshield on the 100 started cracking at the bottom without and impact. @iptman, I know that you ordered a factory windshield for your 80. Which way should I go with this? Can I do this myself?

If it's covered by your car insurance, you can choose OEM glass...

Pretty much all aftermarket glass comes from China now, that's why I went with OEM (Asahi Glass Co made in Japan). Is the 100 series windshield sealed similarly to the 80 with a gasket and sealer used on both the body and glass channel?

I have no idea--I'll check the manual. Why do you ask?

Mostly b/c if it's similar you're going to want to find a glass shop who is willing and able to do it right. Most glass shops these days do the urethane sealer bead then lay the glass down bit.

I paid just over $400 for a new windshield on my 2000 LX last month at Safelite (in NC). They offered me my choice of green or bronze but I'm sure it was Chinese; I'll have to look for the receipt for details. It's not the same type as the 80.

Edit: “Type as the 80” meaning install method - 80 uses a full perimeter gasket that contains the glass and inserts it into the opening. 100 mounts differently.

Last edited:
Safelite in Charlotte has always done well by me (about 9 vehicles now). Biggest thing for me is the fact that they are everywhere. That said, I still intend to take my green 80 to the guy the @iptman used.

Also, you can schedule Safelite to come to you, and the entire process and updates can be done online and via text. Bonus - they scheduled and paid for my Uber home when I dropped off the truck.

Just be careful if Stump helps you install it. He has slippery fingers when it comes to Auto Glass when we did my Jeep. It was actually a blessing in disguise, because we were probably gonna do it wrong as do it yourselfers. We found a new windshield and a glass place on a Sunday that knocked it out. We realized two things watching the guy. First we should have gone to him first and drank beer sitting in a lawn chair watching him work. Second we had the wrong approach, the wrong sealant and he made it look easy and didn’t cost much.

Just be careful if Stump helps you install it. He has slippery fingers when it comes to Auto Glass when we did my Jeep. It was actually a blessing in disguise, because we were probably gonna do it wrong as do it yourselfers. We found a new windshield and a glass place on a Sunday that knocked it out. We realized two things watching the guy. First we should have gone to him first and drank beer sitting in a lawn chair watching him work. Second we had the wrong approach, the wrong sealant and he made it look easy and didn’t cost much.

Yeah, I just don't want to some ignoramus botching it. Seems like it is a job that is easy to get wrong.

I believe many shops try to use screws on the sides where it should be rivets.. Mine strangely does not have either!

For my 100 windshield replacement, I called my local Toyota/Lexus dealer and asked them who they referred their glass work to...

Hey @Von Hayek if you haven’t already replaced your windshield, I have had good experience with Wizards & Waterfowl Auto Glass Services. They come to you and I’ve used them twice, asked the owner a lot of questions and he seemed very knowledgeable.

I might have to use them just out of respect for their business name.

@Von Hayek i had a horrible experience but do your research on a glass company, i wouldnt have a crack repaired you are only doing a temporary fix, i ended up fixing the screw up from the glass shop and ended up having our in house glass guy do it the second time around

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom