Good places to camp in the region? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for a place to go camping for a weekend this fall and could use some ideas. Definitely don't want to be in a big campground -- more primitive / dispersed camping would be the best. Driving on dirt to get there is a bonus, even better if my buddy's Subaru can't make it there (-; But it needs to be within 2-3 hours of DC/NoVA, otherwise I'll have too many complaints. Planning on doing some mountain biking, hiking, and chillin while I'm there.

Any ideas come to mind?

Do you want pit toilets or no toilets nearby?

We haven't gotten that far in discussions, but I'd say it is not important. Although with ToyotaMatt's reaction, I suspect there is a story here.

Elizabeth Furnace
Big Levels
Flag Pole Knob( watch out for hunting season overlaps)

Thanks 1MOA. I'm planning a solo trip the third weekend in September and can't wait to check these trails out. I plan to do the whole North River Loop.

Elizabeth Furnace
Big Levels
Flag Pole Knob( watch out for hunting season overlaps)
+1 for Elizabeth Furnace. I went there a lot of times when I was younger and it was always fun

I recently started using TrailsOffRoad and it has some of these in which is nice. It also auto uploads to Gaia.

@DirtNap - there are quite a few dispersed camping areas in VA (others have mentioned above) and WV < might have to push 4 hours.

Other options, cross post:

I'm impressed with WV and the dispersed camping areas. Just checked out the New River Gorge NP. I'll be back for some rafting, kayaking and fishing.

@landwagon knows this Wild and Wonderful state very well. Lots of great mountain biking too. Well worth the drive.

the north river part of the north river loop has lots of dispersed camping and plenty of dirt roads. That area is pretty much my weekend home. I did have a pack of bear hounds run through my camp at 0600 this past weekend. One even stopped to sniff me and my cot before he got back on the job. I guess I smell a little like a bear. You can go up the back of reddish and do union backwards on the way out if you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom