Need suggestions for a rear brake job (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh, and I don't know if anyone has said this already, but the seals and rubber boots are what actually keep the brake fluid where it's supposed to be. So even if you get brand new pistons, they won't help you without new seals, new boots, and the proper rubber lubricant to keep everything supple.

Oh, and I don't know if anyone has said this already, but the seals and rubber boots are what actually keep the brake fluid where it's supposed to be. So even if you get brand new pistons, they won't help you without new seals, new boots, and the proper rubber lubricant to keep everything supple.
The "proper rubber lubricant" in this case is ONLY brake fluid. Absolutely NOTHING else.

Not according to Toyota. Remember the nifty pink grease in the toothpaste tube?
Nope, 'cause I haven't rebuilt mine.

I wanted to be specific about "lubricant" because we've had a person "lubricate" brake parts with oil before because it is a "hydraulic" system, therefore it takes hydraulic oil, right?

OK. You can lubricate it, but only with the special pink tube stuff provided or brake fluid.

I only used the the fancy pink to lube up the piston seal and the glide pins. everything behind the seal is brake fluid only.

I only used the the fancy pink to lube up the piston seal and the glide pins. everything behind the seal is brake fluid only.
Yes, this is what I meant. You don't jam grease into the caliper but you are supposed to lightly lube the new seals and boots. It makes getting the pistons back in much easier and the "rubber grease", as Mr. T calls it, is compatible with the brake fluid. I'm sure. Brake fluid would work fine, just thought I'd mention it since it's in the FSM and Toyota sells it exclusively for this application.

FWIW I used it on the rubber bits and then used Sil-glyde on the metal-metal pieces like the pins and back of the pads, etc.

Edit: now that I think about it I may have used it on the pins as well due to the rubber boots on those. Anywho - you get the point.

Last edited:
2) if the chrome is chipped, where is it chipped and how badly.
If the chrome is chipped, replace it. Once chrome is compromised, the underlying steel will corroded rapidly, and nothing will stop it short of having it rechromed. It will also shed very sharp chrome flakes, which could shred seals.

These vehicles are nearing three decades old. Braking is not the system to skimp on.

^^^^^

3. Fill caliper with brake fluid then install caliper (should I worry that brake fluid might leak onto pads as I'm attaching the caliper?)...No there is no reason to do this. The brake bleeding procedure (especially considering the LSPV) insures you will fill the calipers just trying to get the air out. You'll only create a mess for yourself if you pre-fill.

You got 3 out of 7 right......so I'm giving you a C- ;)
I was worried about that. Didn't happen for me and I'm generally one to find a mess if one's going to happen. Might have held my finger over the hose attachment port, don't really recall. In any case, bleeding proved easy and quick after a quick hookup. YMMV

I was worried about that. Didn't happen for me and I'm generally one to find a mess if one's going to happen. Might have held my finger over the hose attachment port, don't really recall. In any case, bleeding proved easy and quick after a quick hookup. YMMV
Glad it worked well for you. As they say 'there is more than one way skin a cat'. 👍

Rather than pre-fill a caliper, you can simply mount it, remove the bleeder screw for a bit and let the system 'gravity feed' until some fluid comes out of the caliper. Reinstall bleeder screw and bleed as per usual.

Rear brakes on the 80 series are notoriously difficult to clear of air....owing mostly to the LSVP. You are guaranteed to move enough fluid through them to fill both rear calipers a couple of times over (if not more) is the reason I submit pre-filling gains you nothing in most instances.

Glad it worked well for you. As they say 'there is more than one way skin a cat'. 👍

Rather than pre-fill a caliper, you can simply mount it, remove the bleeder screw for a bit and let the system 'gravity feed' until some fluid comes out of the caliper. Reinstall bleeder screw and bleed as per usual.

Rear brakes on the 80 series are notoriously difficult to clear of air....owing mostly to the LSVP. You are guaranteed to move enough fluid through them to fill both rear calipers a couple of times over (if not more) is the reason I submit pre-filling gains you nothing in most instances.
I read all these horror stories about brake bleeding before I rebuilt mine but I had zero issues...and I'm nothing special. I just bled the brakes in the recommended order with a helper pumping the pedal. Brakes are fine. Idk why so many people have issues with air bubbles. Maybe I got lucky?

I read all these horror stories about brake bleeding before I rebuilt mine but I had zero issues...and I'm nothing special. I just bled the brakes in the recommended order with a helper pumping the pedal. Brakes are fine. Idk why so many people have issues with air bubbles. Maybe I got lucky?

A lot of people would say you got 'lucky'. ;)

You can help relieve one impediment by moving the lever on the LSVP fully upward to open the valve more. This will increase fluid flow which helps carry air bubbles out. Also, the method by which a person bleeds the brakes can make a difference.

The old fashioned 'second person' on the brake pedal works well in situations where a lot of force is desired to move fluid through proportioning valves or anything that creates a restriction. In the case of the 80 series the LSVP and the lines going into/out of it, are the highest point in the rear brake system.....making it especially fun to remove air from them.

I can tell you that gravity bleeding 'back there' is unlikely to do it. Vacuum bleeding (mightyvac/other) not really much better.

Pressure bleeding (Motive/other) at about 15psi will get it done eventually and doesn't require a second person. But nothing seems to be as forceful as a person aggressively pushing the pedal. Likely one reason for your success.

A lot of people would say you got 'lucky'. ;)

You can help relieve one impediment by moving the lever on the LSVP fully upward to open the valve more. This will increase fluid flow which helps carry air bubbles out. Also, the method by which a person bleeds the brakes can make a difference.

The old fashioned 'second person' on the brake pedal works well in situations where a lot of force is desired to move fluid through proportioning valves or anything that creates a restriction. In the case of the 80 series the LSVP and the lines going into/out of it, are the highest point in the rear brake system.....making it especially fun to remove air from them.

I can tell you that gravity bleeding 'back there' is unlikely to do it. Vacuum bleeding (mightyvac/other) not really much better.

Pressure bleeding (Motive/other) at about 15psi will get it done eventually and doesn't require a second person. But nothing seems to be as forceful as a person aggressively pushing the pedal. Likely one reason for your success.
That and I put a brand new LSPV in so no crud or dirt in the way of fluid flow.

I wasnt able to fit the tension spring behind the adjuster since it would be making contact with the e-brake cable. The other wheel has it behind the adjuster, other videos have it this way but I couldn't get it to fit.

Did I do something wrong or is it fine to have the tension spring in front of the adjuster like I have in the pic? Doesnt seem like it would interfere with the drums.

Either it's fine and move on or disassemble and redo. Suggestions?

(Will also have to address the oil leak, possibly from an axle gasket failure)

20210901_101303.jpg

20210901_101356.jpg

20210831_195647.jpg

Update: the shoes are all ready.

The rebuilding of the caliper didnt go as well. On one piston the cylinder boot didnt sit well so in taking the piston out with a flathead with tape around the edge I ended up damaging the metal where the rubber boot sits. I was careful the 1st time disassembling it but not so well the 2nd time. This is not good for the rubber and will be ordering a new piston which are backordered with toyota.

I've been applying for jobs and going to I interviews so this project is taking a while to do since I do a little bit a day. 😅

20210904_154542.jpg

20210904_154547.jpg

Thanks for the advise on the brake job. 👍👍👍👍

On to another project.

When I went to start the 80 it wouldn't start. Started reading on how to diagnose the issue. Got the battery recharged and the starter tested. Both look good. While the starter was out I decide to finally replace the chinese fuel filter the PO had. Now putting it all together and on to diagnosing the starting issue.

(Does anyone know what this rubber thing on the starter is that broke off in the 1st pic?)

20210916_100658.jpg

20210918_170337.jpg

20210918_171955.jpg

20210919_135807.jpg

20210919_141721.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom