Need input: 2F or V8? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Isn't the 60 transmission is (H42) longer than the 40 (H42) version? Like a FJ60 4-speed gearbox has the casting kinda like of the Toyota 5-speed, so it is longer, iirc, and won't be a no-brainer in a 40.

Used transmissions and transfercases should be checked for rust internally, particularly if the transmission has been in a 40 without roof.

In my opinion, a significant end-goal of all of this is getting as long of a driveshaft run as you can from the rear pinion to the transfercase. Reducing the angle (by increasing the driveshaft run) that at the U-joints will minimize driveshaft vibrations at highway cruising speeds. I recall that there was a non-sweet spot around 68mph that my '73 hated with the SM420. It could have been one of a many other issues, but, either way, I failed to resolve it before I sold the truck.

If anyone is looking to test the integrity of their dental work, find a washboard road and stick to 2nd gear (H42) in high-range in an FJ40. I did, and I decided to cancel my appointment that I had for later this month. Plus, I'm a sovereign-adult, and I can clean and inspect my own teeth, than you.
Thanks Grayscale! It little things like the 60 transmission being longer that sways me against the swap. It was bad enough modifying the driveshafts for the V8 conversion back in the day.

Thanks

I designed and manufactured Landcruiser aftermarket accessories for 39 years, from 1970 to 2009. During the 1960's to 1980's guys could buy a brand new FJ40 any time they wanted, and had no objections to upgrading them (V8's, disc brakes, power steering, etc.) with my products. At some point after that "Purist" arrived and wanted something just like what you could no longer buy, a stock (restored) new FJ40, a keepsake I guess. That's ok by me, but seems to me that today some Purist seem to have an issue with those who upgraded the FJ40 back in the early days ?????
Good point, I love it!

By the way my original adapter kit for the conversion came from Downey!

Mike

Well I've seen your build thread. You've been trying to buy this cruiser back for a long time. Now you have it, build it to be used. Thus my v8 recommendation. The LS motors are better than the old sbc motors in most ways. You can run a fuel injected LS motor off of as little as something like 7 wires. They are actually easier to work on than a 2f or sbc. If you want more fj40 character than keep a straight 6 in it but it will be slower and less user friendly.
I like that. "...build it to be used." Which really made me stop and think! You're right, I want to use it like the old days! so does my wife!

Mike

My $0.02

1) loved my 1.5 F till it died in ‘96. I planned to rebuild it but $3k to rebuild itwas more than the truck was worth.

2) had a running 2F that smoked a bit. Rebuild shop said it would be way cheaper to rebuild. It was still going to be $3k not the $1200-1600 they said before I dropped it off. Apparently they had stopped adding up costs on (1) when it hit $3k and there was another $500 needed.

3) $2k got me a Downey SBC conversion kit, new clutch, 2 driveshafts shortened, new dual exhaust, 120 amp alternator, belts. hoses, lines, etc. $300 for a ‘69 350 & timing chain, $200 for cam, lifters, rockers, Rochester Quadrajet, etc. Net was a +/- 300 hp 350 that dragged me everywhere I wanted to go.

4) if I had an option to have put in a cheap, good running 2F I’d have done that in a heartbeat.

When (3) SBC died 21 years later I decided I’d rebuild the 2-bolt, 10.25:1, 350. Then a clean 72k mile, “72, 4-bolt 350, Turbo 350 popped up locally for $350… it sounded great and I got it for $250. Replaced gaskets and found it shone inside.
It was lower compression and only rated at 165 net hp… but it’s super smooth, and with an RV cam it has an abundance of power. Much tamer than the ‘69, but it puts along smoothly and is quieter than many cars.

I considered an LS, but when the dust settled it would have cost me $1500-2000 more, and been a lot more work than replacing an SBC with another SBC and bolting on the same accessories.

In your shoes I’d probably swap in a 4 speed and another SBC…

Or

LS, Chevy trans & t-case, and a centred diff rear 4.11 rear axle from a vehicle that uses 6 bolt rims with the same pattern. Probably an FJ cruiser axle (or something similar. :cheers:
Good insight, thanks! I will have to start watching the Denver metro area to see what comes available!

Thanks

I installed an '83 2F into an engineless '65 FJ45 I bought and never did anyone complain about this engine choice. (yes, that's a GM 1-wire alternator). Far from original, but sanitary and with power steering and a brightly polished 2F valve cover. All the painfulness of an FJ45 (seating position, horrid ride, turning radius) was not made any worse by this engine. I did this 20 years ago when you could find nice used 2Fs easily. Not sure what I'd do now.

View attachment 3123551

View attachment 3123555
Nice looking engine compartment there! I don't remember so many hoses in mine? I'll have to look up my tear down photos now.

Mike

Thanks Grayscale! It little things like the 60 transmission being longer that sways me against the swap. It was bad enough modifying the driveshafts for the V8 conversion back in the day.

Thanks

The 4/85-7/87 H42 used in the US market was longer. Most other markets that change happened 11/84. This length matches that of the H55F. If your thinking of an H55F in the future this would set it up. 8/80-4/85 the H42 were the same as the 40 series except for the covers which can simply switch between transmissions. Even H42s pre to 8/80.

Last edited:
The 4/85-7/87 H42 used in the US market was longer. Most other markets that change happened 11/84. This length matches that of the H55F. If your thinking of an H55F in the future this would set it up. 8/80-5/85 the H42 were the same as the 40 series except for the covers which can simply switch between transmissions. Even H42s pre to 8/80.

Provided you can find the cover. I understand that they are rather rare. I know of one in a parts horde, but I think the owner of that piece is saving it for their own project.

I have done a swap or two, none in a 40, 60s and 80s. Hands down my favorite truck to drive has an 6.0L Vortec/Tremec 4050 5 speed/Axis adapter/Split case. Adapter is about 1.5" thick. Certainly not the cheapest swap but great bang for the buck.

I've done NV4500 and Toyota 5 speed as well and the Tremec wins hands down. On man's OPINION. Take it for what it is worth.

I have done a swap or two, none in a 40, 60s and 80s. Hands down my favorite truck to drive has an 6.0L Vortec/Tremec 4050 5 speed/Axis adapter/Split case. Adapter is about 1.5" thick. Certainly not the cheapest swap but great bang for the buck.

I've done NV4500 and Toyota 5 speed as well and the Tremec wins hands down. On man's OPINION. Take it for what it is worth.

Do you feel the Tremec is better than Toyota OEM 5 speed ? I will ask why as I have heard the Toyota was the best.

I do not have experience with the 4050 but I've had two high horsepower cars with the TR6060 and I like them alot.

Do you feel the Tremec is better than Toyota OEM 5 speed ? I will ask why as I have heard the Toyota was the best.
You quoted me, the answer is right there. What part of the Tremec wins hands down is confusing?

Please stick to actual (pure) upgrades here. Again, in 2022, these events are posted on the internet, you will be out-wheeled by anything modern suspension, and anything with traction control. Which means your questionably disinterested in-law with who is here for the weekend and sunshine, and brought a stock vehicle, with swaybars and ABS to the event.

And, as much fun as it might be to use a GM granny gear with a Toyota t.c. - your going to be asking too much from the drivetrain, particularly when the birfields are working at angles. That is what the disk brake, and v-8 upgrade was for. Crawling without momentum is way harder on the truck than taking a few bumps with some momentum.

Had a look at your internet site:
just amazing, congrats mate!

Thank you Sir

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom