Need help with front end head-scratcher (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I will say that there has been posting and it is a thing to have fj40 with drive flanges in the front instead of hubs as far as I know. If that i sthe case that fj40's were sent out of factory with drive flanges it would lead one to believe that vehicle was in deed full time 4wd. A loose 4wd shift rail could really end your day with the front output always turning, I would not run a 40 tcase like that however it seems fj40's left the factory that way.
Or is that only a thing once they went to the splitcase ? I can see why Malleus posted they were all full time as I do recall someone posting that Toyota sent fj40's with drive flanges and dealers put the hubs on ?

I will say that there has been posting and it is a thing to have fj40 with drive flanges in the front instead of hubs as far as I know. If that i sthe case that fj40's were sent out of factory with drive flanges it would lead one to believe that vehicle was in deed full time 4wd. A loose 4wd shift rail could really end your day with the front output always turning, I would not run a 40 tcase like that however it seems fj40's left the factory that way.
Or is that only a thing once they went to the splitcase ? I can see why Malleus posted they were all full time as I do recall someone posting that Toyota sent fj40's with drive flanges and dealers put the hubs on ?

FJ40s were around long before the full time 4WD were around with a open transfer case that could be locked. Drive plates were standard on FJ40s from the start. Most early acorn hub caps had solid caps cut for aftermarket lockout hubs. They was a early hub cap with a factory cut out but most were just solid caps cut when a owner installed lock out hubs. If you installed lockout hubs on a full time 4WD when the hubs were unlocked with the transfer in open position the vehicle would just spin the front driveshaft. Would have to lock the the transfer case to get two wheel rear wheel drive.

Jeep had full time 4WD in the 1970. GMC tries it in the Trailblazer and Jimmy. Gas mileage was awful in the GMs. Remember helping a friend converting his Jimmy to a part time 4WD. Because the hubs there was a kit to convert the transfer case. Able to do the same thing to the 80 series. It requires more than just lockout hubs with full time 4WD. When the first 80 series started in we early 1990. That was the end of part time 4WD. many markets continued with part time 4WD. Those have a lockout hub option. Need to think of full time 4WD that the transfer case acts like a selectable locker in a axle.

Fwiw, drive flanges can be found from the factory on 2x's, 4x's, 5x's, 6x's, 7x's and of course 80's and 100's. We actually stock/sell a fair amount of flanges for the older 4x/5x/6x/7x setups. Some are doing a restoration, others want the simplicity, some carry them as a trail spare. We stock 14-15 different flanges, OEM, aftermarket, etc.

IMG_20231223_135400.jpg

But again, in nearly every single 4x/5x/6x/7x application, it doesn't make them full-time.

For example, here's a factory 6x with drive flanges.

FJ60 82 BEIGE BARN DOORS web ready066.jpg

I still want to see pics of @Malleus transfer case

I don't suspect we'll get a reply on that t-case but I did get a bunch of videos from JT on his model (the green one pictured earlier in the thread).

Still digesting them all but super cool stuff. We've seen these but some close ups:

Screenshot_20231223_140640_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20231223_140719_Messenger.jpg

The dash button that differs from @Living in the Past model.

Screenshot_20231223_140751_Messenger.jpg

Hard to say how this left the factory assembly line, how this left a workshop doing the prototype upfitting work and what prior owners did. JT doesn't feel this is 'stock'.

Screenshot_20231223_141239_Messenger.jpg

What say you all, shall we turn the full-time talk into a new thread? @JL2167 , we want to help solve your problem but obviously a few conversations happening. Your call.

Yes, I understand very well that if a selectable transfer case is set so that the front drive is disengaged, and if it has locking hubs which are locked open, there will be no load on the gearset. That wasn't the point of the OP's question, nor my observation.

Locking hubs have absolutely no effect on the transfer case, not the front differential carrier operation. They only lock the front driveshafts to the wheels. Nothing more. If the transfer front drive is engaged and the locking hubs are unlocked, the front drive still turns every time the rear does. The fact that there is no load on the gearset is irrelevant. It still turns.

I accept there will always be someone who believes that locking hubs have some magic value, but it's simply untrue. You can't reason someone out of a belief they haven't reasoned themselves into.

When I worked for Dana we studied these extensively, because the floor personnel were certain that they could get paid bonuses for suggesting design changes which would modify the ag/industrial off-highway axles to resemble their jacked up pickups. The program required us to refute the claims so that they would stop submitting these frivolous suggestions. No evidence was ever found linking improved performance, in any measurable way, to locking hubs.
I have owned my 1978 FJ40 for 45 years and the original 4 speed transfer case had a front drive disconnect for 2 Hi. The new H55F and split transfer case also has a disconnect for the front drive. I had a set of Warn hubs that the dealership installed for the dealer prep. I have installed a new set of Asin HD hubs on the front axle during the rebuild.

What say you all, shall we turn the full-time talk into a new thread? @JL2167 , we want to help solve your problem but obviously a few conversations happening. Your call.
Took it into repair shop today. My mechanic says my transfer case is destroyed inside and I need a new one. Having it towed back home tomorrow.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom