Need help with a Fj45 12ht swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Me and my dad are going to swap a 12ht into a 1973 fj45 Ute and we don’t have much of an idea on what we’re doing so it would be good if we could get some pointers

We’ve found out that apparently you need a 2h bell housing to fix the angle of the gearbox but we are having a hard time finding one

We have been looking into a long range fuel tank and have found a company called long range automotive and they have a auxiliary tank that can go up above the drive shaft behind the cab but we don’t know if we will be able to fit the tuned tray that we want to fit into the tray we want to build I will put a photo of what we want our tray to look like

I have been looking at rums and I was thinking of going with Sunraysias but I think I like the look of the D shape headlocks better but with those rims we are going to need better suspension we were thinking of either going with the old man emu or swapping suspension from our 60 series donor that we are getting the motor brakes and diffs out of I will put a photo of the 60 below

With the 60 we are going to take the ax compressor from it since we want to put aircon in our fj but I haven’t been able to find any good company’s for a rh drive version so if you know any comment could you let me know

We have a pretty rough interior in the fj but we were thinking of putting a hj47 dash in but we might be able to fix up the old dash

I have been looking at led headlights for the fj and apparently I need a Cancun cancellations module but I’m not sure since I saw the guy using that on his 75 and I don’t know if you need that for a 45 so if you know any good headlights or anything about putting them in let me know, also our original candles haven’t been working and last time they didn’t we had to replace the light switch but now they don’t work again so if anyone knows why that would be greatly appreciated

We have got a bull bar for the fj it is a old arb one from when they brand it out a few years ago I will put a photo of it down below but if you know any good brands for winches and driving lights let me know

Currently the Ute is an orange colour but we are going to be painting it the 79 series cream colour like the colour of the tray inspo photo down below I was also wondering if we should pint the apron around the lights white or keep it black like it is right now

If you know anything about the conversion and what we can do to it it would be appreciated, thanks

IMG_0357.jpeg

IMG_0514.jpeg

20200115_234138949_iOS.jpeg

IMG_0515.jpeg

IMG_2043.jpeg

I did a 12HT/H55 conversion into a FJ55 a few years back. Glad to help answer any questions assuming I can remember :). It’s a customer truck so no longer available for me to go look at. Can dig up pictures in my phone photo album as well. Not rocket science but I do recall alignment in the engine bay was the toughest challenge. Do you have the HJ61 engine frame mounts or going to fab your own?

I installed a12HT in my 78’ 45 LWB. My build thread covers it extensively. I am happy to share anything I remember (I did this awhile ago). The swap is worth the effort.

I did a 12HT/H55 conversion into a FJ55 a few years back. Glad to help answer any questions assuming I can remember :). It’s a customer truck so no longer available for me to go look at. Can dig up pictures in my phone photo album as well. Not rocket science but I do recall alignment in the engine bay was the toughest challenge. Do you have the HJ61 engine frame mounts or going to fab your own?
thanks for the reply we have a 89 hj61 with the 12ht ill put a few photos in, what do you reckon we should do because we can fab them up or would it be easier to take them straight from the frame

IMG_0491.jpeg

IMG_8344.jpeg

IMG_8389.jpeg

thanks for the reply we have a 89 hj61 with the 12ht ill put a few photos in, what do you reckon we should do because we can fab them up or would it be easier to take them straight from the frame

View attachment 3555153

View attachment 3555154

View attachment 3555155
I’d take the original frame mounts over fabricating them but your fab skills are most certainly better than mine. If you do fab some I’d welcome the chance to talk via pm or offline if you’re willing to sell the frame mounts.

I’d take the original frame mounts over fabricating them but your fab skills are most certainly better than mine. If you do fab some I’d welcome the chance to talk via pm or offline if you’re willing to sell the frame mounts.
Ok thanks ill have a talk to my dad about it and see what we should do, we do have some people that could help us fab it up too

My last 45 I put a 12HT into. Build thread linked below.
There's plenty of info available and lots of ways to skin this cat. Whatever way you go it's well worth the effort.

Could you link it please
Sure thing

Me and my dad are going to swap a 12ht into a 1973 fj45 Ute and we don’t have much of an idea on what we’re doing so it would be good if we could get some pointers

We’ve found out that apparently you need a 2h bell housing to fix the angle of the gearbox but we are having a hard time finding one

We have been looking into a long range fuel tank and have found a company called long range automotive and they have a auxiliary tank that can go up above the drive shaft behind the cab but we don’t know if we will be able to fit the tuned tray that we want to fit into the tray we want to build I will put a photo of what we want our tray to look like

I have been looking at rums and I was thinking of going with Sunraysias but I think I like the look of the D shape headlocks better but with those rims we are going to need better suspension we were thinking of either going with the old man emu or swapping suspension from our 60 series donor that we are getting the motor brakes and diffs out of I will put a photo of the 60 below

With the 60 we are going to take the ax compressor from it since we want to put aircon in our fj but I haven’t been able to find any good company’s for a rh drive version so if you know any comment could you let me know

We have a pretty rough interior in the fj but we were thinking of putting a hj47 dash in but we might be able to fix up the old dash

I have been looking at led headlights for the fj and apparently I need a Cancun cancellations module but I’m not sure since I saw the guy using that on his 75 and I don’t know if you need that for a 45 so if you know any good headlights or anything about putting them in let me know, also our original candles haven’t been working and last time they didn’t we had to replace the light switch but now they don’t work again so if anyone knows why that would be greatly appreciated

We have got a bull bar for the fj it is a old arb one from when they brand it out a few years ago I will put a photo of it down below but if you know any good brands for winches and driving lights let me know

Currently the Ute is an orange colour but we are going to be painting it the 79 series cream colour like the colour of the tray inspo photo down below I was also wondering if we should pint the apron around the lights white or keep it black like it is right now

If you know anything about the conversion and what we can do to it it would be appreciated, thanks

View attachment 3554764

View attachment 3554765

View attachment 3554766

View attachment 3554767

View attachment 3554768
I know it has been a while but my dads been busy and we haven't had time to work on the car, today we got to pull the motor put of the hj61 it wasn't easy especially when pulling the motor out and taking off the exhaust we ended up having to cut the exhaust off because the bolts were so rusted, we also found out to take off the gear stick you have to take off all the boots and turn a little ring anti clockwise and it pops right out. I will insert photos of the motor being taken out. we are going to send the 12ht away and get it rebuilt and maybe get the turbo high flowed for more power. I was wondering if you can keep the air intake not the same side because i Iike the look of the crossover tubes on the 12 ht. that's about all we have done and are going to start working on the fj45 soon so stay tuned

IMG_0738.jpeg

IMG_0730.jpeg

IMG_0732.jpeg

IMG_0739.jpeg

IMG_0737.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom