Need Help w/swapping out a Weber for a remanufactured factory carb on 1976 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m removing the Weber and replacing it with a remanufactured carb for this FJ. Found out why the Weber would only run with the choke closed. First, the PO only finger tightened the bolts. Second, the adaptor plates are warped. Gee, no air leaks there. :)

Without having an original carb to work from, have several questions. Also, manufacturer had post 08/76 and pre 08/76 carbs. Not knowing when this FJ was built, went with the post 08/76 carb. Did I screw up?

1st - this hose comes from one of the adapter plates for the Weber and runs to the brake booster. Where should this hose be mounted?

1568922727976.png

2nd - Where should the solenoid wire attach? I located a green plug and was wondering if that’s where.

1568922770244.png

Here’s a photo of the green plug. Also, what are the solenoids shown in the photo? Any idea as to what the brown plug is? Heat gauge does not appear to be working.

1568922803177.png

3rd - Where does this plug into? The large tube showing to the right - where does it go? I just picked up a stock air filter for this FJ.

1568922945339.png

4th - Any idea as to what the black capped tubes are for? Large one appears to be associated with the fuel inlet housing.

1568923028755.png

And lastly, where can I buy a mounting plate for the carb to manifold? Appears I need at least ½” thick plate for everything to clear the manifold.

Thank you!

Following, because I too have a ‘76 with a Weber. I have a Trollhole original style carb to try, but just haven’t gotten around to it.

I do know that the spacer your looking for also has a heat shield on it. Search for carb spacer heat shield and you’ll find what you’re looking for.

Looking forward to learning from your experience so take lots of pics! :). And thanks in advance.

Following, because I too have a ‘76 with a Weber. I have a Trollhole original style carb to try, but just haven’t gotten around to it.

I do know that the spacer your looking for also has a heat shield on it. Search for carb spacer heat shield and you’ll find what you’re looking for.

Looking forward to learning from your experience so take lots of pics! :). And thanks in advance.
Will do. The only problem I've seen with the heat shields that I've been able to locate is that there is no provision for the brake booster line. Even with the heat shield, still appears I need a riser plate. I'm thinking I probably only need the riser plate, but I could be wrong.

BTW, nice looking rig!

Thanks!
I’ll look when I get home, but I think that my booster connects to the intake manifold, not the riser.
Maybe post a pic of your engine compartment and the carb. Better minds than mine will be able to tell you what you need.

Thanks!
I’ll look when I get home, but I think that my booster connects to the intake manifold, not the riser.
Maybe post a pic of your engine compartment and the carb. Better minds than mine will be able to tell you what you need.
Please send a photo if that's the case. Would definitely simplify things.

Intake manifold connection near the firewall feeds a black hose that goes to my brake booster.

B6DF18C8-2F2F-4024-8E2B-F3B500E208E7.jpeg

Intake manifold connection near the firewall feeds a black hose that goes to my brake booster.

View attachment 2087431
Great! Ok, took care of that. I see your green plug is hooked up to the solenoid closest to the carb. So, answers that question. Could you take a photo of your intake manifold below the carb? I had to remove some kind of vacuum connector as it had a hose running from it to the point where you have the brake booster hose connected. So, curious if this is just plugged off or something else going on. Are we having fun yet? Ugh. Thus far, no responses from anyone else for assistance on the wiring of the carb.

You need 12v to the idle control solenoid when the key is on.

Show us a pic of what your'e dealing with.
Ok. So, could I use the wire that went to the automatic choke on the Weber? It's setup this way. Any idea as to where this solenoid hooks up? It's at the base of the carb, obviously.

IMG_0287.jpg

that capped tube marked #5, can I use it for a vacuum connection?
I believe so, it may be a metered vacuum, gradually increasing vacuum as engine speed/load increase.

EGR?? So, probably don't need to hook up that lower solenoid if emissions related. The Fed emission system has been pretty much gutted on this thing.

Yeah, I'm not much help with the smog party. I run a Non-US spec carb with no emissions crap.

This will be pretty much the same as it'd be a nightmare to try and reconnect all of that.

On the bright side it's hard to hurt that engine.

Ok, think I have about everything figured out with your help and flyfisher. I have a lead on the carb insulator plate - not cheap. So, as I get this thing assembled, I will send you photos as promised. It'll be awhile because of shipping.
View attachment 2087431

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom