Need help selling my 1972 fj40, Some years more valuable? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Unfortunately i need help selling my FJ40. It was my car in high school over 30 years ago. It has been off the road for 20 years. Everything was fine at that time except the brake lines needed replacing. It was stored in a garage for most of that time but has some rust. Please see the following ad for additional photos.

I was asking 6k but quickly found out that was too low. Any help would be appreciated!

1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40

IMG_1851.JPG

IMG_4476.JPG

IMG_1841.JPG

IMG_1850.JPG

IMG_1835.JPG

The bezel is upside down :)

I wouldn't expect much more than 6K as it sits. It's in nice shape for an eastern truck but is still a bit of a barnacle, plus it's mechanical condition is a bit of a variable at the moment.

If you have some time it would be best to clean it up, get it running, fix the brakes, re-skin the seats, etc.. and then reassess what you have.

Maybe then you'd decide to keep it:hmm:

Welcome to Mud:flipoff2:

Last edited:
Not drivable and not startable I assume? Probably needs the complete brake system replaced. Coolant could be sludged in block. Does the motor turn by hand? I say 3k as it sits if its not drivable and doesn't run. If you get 6k for it I would be surprised but some people have no idea what problems can occur if a rig just sits for years. Costs of parts and labor can really go up depending on the damage from neglect, which can take some time and effort to sort through and figure out. If it ran and drove ok, 7k no problem.

I think that some years are more desirable than others (disc brakes, 2F, etc) but the best thing you have going for you is that its COMPLETE. You have the rear seats, you have the hardtop and neat Belleview winch to boot. I also think a quick spit shine will do wonders for your asking price, as well as an indication that the motor runs well. Sure the seats need redone, and there's a little rust here and there, but its looks good as a starting point for a restore

I'd agree with most of what's said above. The good you have going for it is that it's remarkably complete, relatively unmolested, and has some cool desirable options of its own (winch, swing-out tailgates, etc.). It's also not SUPER rusty. Do you have a top for it? I see some bows and footman loops...

That said, if it hasn't run in 20 years, there's likely a LOT to be done to get it roadworthy at this point. To get top dollar, I'd invest some money draining the fluids and replacing them with clean fluids, and maybe trying to get the engine to idle, at the very least, so folks can get a better idea of the condition.

As it sits, dead with a lot of unknowns, I think $4-6k is reasonable. If you had it running I bet you could get $7500.

It's a decent start to a project for someone but you're not sitting on a pile of gold in the condition it's in.

If he had it running, he'd get $10k easy in the right part of the country.

A very fair price. Remarkable condition for New York state, as someone else mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom