Need help in Columbia, MO (100 Series on last rusted leg) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 100 Series spent 15 years in upstate NY where it got the salt treatment. It is currently stranded at the Toyota dealership in Columbia, MO, where they say it is not safe to drive and they do not recommend replacement (they don't want to work on the rusted thing). The frame is rusting badly and parts are starting to fall off. The closest shop I can find to work on it is 125 miles away in KC (Gray Industries Cruisers). I just called around and am getting $650-$725 quotes for the tow over there.

Is there anyone in the Columbia, MO area that you all might recommend take a look at it. I am not wanting this to be the end... I'm willing to pay to have it fixed, if that makes any sense at all.

Nuance to the situation, I am moving to Alaska in two weeks to work for the state. They will pay to have two cars shipped up there. I planned on taking this one with me, but I'd like to get it functioning right first. Any suggestions? All help is appreciated.

Two primary thoughts:

You may be dealing with people who are unfamiliar with vehicle rust and the situation is not actually dire. What we regularly see in the Northeast would give an Arizona mechanic a panic attack - not sure how things are in Missouri.

And on the other hand, if you have serious frame rust such that she's not safe to drive I don't think there is much chance of having it repaired in two weeks.

Hope it's more the former than the latter.

I’m 4 hours away. If I had the time I would gladly go look at it. I could help you out if it was here.

Any chance you can get someone at the dealership to send you some pictures to post?

Pm me and I can see if I can help if you need it.

I’m 4 hours away. If I had the time I would gladly go look at it. I could help you out if it was here.

Any chance you can get someone at the dealership to send you some pictures to post?

Pm me and I can see if I can help if you need it.
I've decided to tow it and hopefully get it back on the road again. Thank you for offering.

I’d love to see pics of the undercarriage. Missouri gets their fair share of salt in the winter, not as much as NY but they’re no strangers to rust so I’m actually pretty curious how this looks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom