Need help, dealership is quoting $5k for front axels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.studio7designs.com
Hey guys, brought 97 LX450 into dealership to investigate clicking while turning, they want to replace all front axels... say its going to cost $3500 for the two front axels plus all the little extra parts, and then 1500 labour, then tax.

seems way to crazy... problem is, have not been able to find mechanic in Victoria BC that knows these trucks.

any help would be appreciated.

I might just get them to pack it all up with new seals and grease and keep running them for a while and try to find a mechanic that I can trust.... the dealership here is very good however.. they do like to sell you new parts, but they are currently looking for good used ones.

If its just clicking while turning its most likely just the Birf's. Inner shafts are usually fine until you brake them, in which case you wouldn't be driving.
Nitro Gear has them at a very reasonable price.
even if they did all the "while your in there" stuff (bearings, seals, brakes) it should be that much

Do you have another vehicle to drive? There's tons of info on this site on rebuilding your axles with plenty of pics. You can download the service manual and tear apart your own axle. That way you can see exactly what is damaged, replace all the gaskets, seals, and anything that is broke. It will cost you a fraction of what the stealership is quoting you and you will learn exactly how your front axle works.

Also, you should go back to that dealer and get an itemized list of everything they say will neet to be replaced.

From memory the OEM new birfs are in the $700 USD each neighborhood. Book calls for 12 hours labor. But $5K is still way out of line.

You should be able to find a mechanic to service it with aftermarket inners/bifrs (Nitro) and OEM bearings/seals for about 1/2 that cost. Its not a hard job just messy. Find a trusted mechanic in your area and have him/her do the job rather than the dealership. Or tackle it yourself. A weekend is all you need along with basic hand tools plus a 54mm socket, brass hammer and like 10 rolls of paper towels.

Thanks guys, I've told the dealership to put it all back together (with grease and new seals). I'll get a list of exactly what they need also so I can get the parts myself. I've had nothing but good experiences with them so far... once I know 'exactly' what is wrong (it sounded like there was multiple issues, not just birfs) I will take it from there.

There's got to be someone else on here from Victoria. Even if they own a 40 or a 60 or a mini truck.

Just a quick google search from online sources.
2 birfs, $450
L inner shaft, $140
R inner shaft, $190
Knuckle kit, $275
2 drive flanges, $100
--------------
$1,155 in parts and 7.4 hrs labor for a knuckle rebuild both sides, book time. Motor, truck and van labor time guide.

So they have a labor rate of $202.70 an hour and over $2,000 in markup for parts? Good grief.

Get the parts from Beno, buy my plane ticket, we''ll fix it over a weekend, have a beer, and I'll head home. You'll still be $2500 richer than going to the dealer :)

As others said, it's not that difficult, more messy than anything. I was never mechanically inclined until I got my cruiser. Since then I've done both front and rear axles, no issues. The people on mud are super helpful too, and there are a lot of threads with detail on getting it done.

Or, fly me up :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom