Need Advice on next add on. (1 Viewer)

What would you get ?

• Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have limited $ right now..and I am getting one of the above. Problem, i cant decide. So, i thought i would ask each of you what you would get if you were in my shoes.

thanks.
joe m

What do you have so far, that may help in the voting.

-Arb front (no winch though)
-OME susp
-BFG AT's
-NO factory lockers
-and a bunch of other misc stuff.

Why would you bother to list the WARN M8k & M12k as different options. The M8k might be sufficient to pull small bushes from the back pasture, but the M12k is what you need on an 80.

$$$$$ is the issue. cost vs. benefit. 8k =$700 12K = $1200. That $500 can be reinvested into another area on my cruiser...while still getting a capable winch.

Just curious, when you got stuck did you consider the 8 and the 12? or did you go right for the 12?

later,
joe

sliders since they will prevent costly damage whereas the lockers will only get you in hairier situations and so more likely to get costly damage?
E

Straight for the M12k. Mr. Visa fronted the bill for me and I worried about it later. If you think you may ever need the winch, go straight for the M12k. When you find yourself stuck with an M8k and needing to replace it with an M12k after you couldn't get unstuck you will then be almost $2k out rather than just $1k for the original M12k purchase.

Absolutely...SLIDERS

Everything else, you'll need the sliders to make use of the other equipment!

I did all major mechanicals>>OME Sus>>rubber>>sliders>>rear bumper in progress>>last will be front bumper and winch together

of couse, I have lockers already..if I did not, I'd get a rear one after the sliders and before the rear bumper

Jeff

Sliders.

def sliders, i made the mistake of going out without them and made a dent and lost a fender flare. do sliders

sliders.
How bout a snorkle, relatively inexpensive and they really enhance
the look of the 80

Armor first unless its a trail only truck. I'll repeat what I have said previously on this list. The first minor scratch you prevent on the rocker, makes the sliders pay for themselves immediately. I think sliders are cheap insurance and the Slee ones are very nice and very tough. I've seen them beaten through the Rubicon, Dusy Ershim and they worked, period. The next place the 80 tends to take a hit is on the rear overhang, so you might want to move the rear bumper up the list. That has the side benifit of getting the rear tire out from under the truck. Of the 2 you mention n your poll, the slee is the better unit. Even with out lockers, the 80 will take you nearly anywhere. So here is my opinion of modification order:

Sliders, Rear bumper, Rear locker, winch, front locker.

Good luck, and bring $$.

I voted for the Warn 12K winch. Here's why: If I'm out in the middle of BFE and get stuck, I want to be self-sufficient and get out without walking.

Lockers are great, but IMO will get you into more trouble before you get stuck, then you're REALLY stuck.

Sliders are fabulous, but again will not help if you're alone and up to the doors in mud.

While I have a Ramsey 8K on the truck, it's because it was in my garage when I got my ARB, and I haven't put the funds to upgrading yet. That being said, 4WheelParts has a sale on the Milemarker 10K for $599...very tempting.

Be aware that for full on winching, the Warn is a better option than the Milemarker IMO, but for general occasional self recovery use I think the Milemarker would be fine. If you wheel like Junk....go with the Warn!

Behind the winch for me would be Slee's rear bumper and tire carrier...those things are SWEET!

-H-

lockers.............scratches are good...........never wheel hard alone.....carry a strap.........you will be able to go infenitly more places with lockers........and thats an understatemant.....LOCKERS! LOCKERS...............LOCKERS..........and oh ya.....LOCKERS

I have a #9000 Superwinch on my 80 and it has been plenty, as long as i used a snatch block, the #12000 warn would be nice but i agree that the money should be spent on sliders. Brad.

Sliders- I agree with the sliders.

Dont wheel alone, carry a strap and highlift and get after it! :D

My agenda:
1.Drive Train first
2.Driver Skill second
3.Body armor to push driver skill thrid
4.Recovery gear to recover overpushed driver skill fourth
5.Lockers last, they get you into the really bad stuff... or good stuff... all depends on how you look at it!

Drew <><

S.A.

First, upgrade the billfold, and everything else will fall in line. :flipoff2:

Sliders - protect what you have and will allow you to wheel some decent stuff with what you have.
Winch next, because even if you're out in the snow, you just never know when you'll need it. Heck, I used mine to pull my 700lb compressor, on a dolly up the driveway when it was delivered.

Everything else can wait. If you do the air lockers, then may as well wait till you can afford new gears and get them both done to save on the labor cost.

Get some sliders and let's wheel. I'll go with you any time and if you need a tug, then we'll pull out the strap. Either way, if you have some protection, you'll be able to ENJOY the trail more than without them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom