Need advice on dealing with repair costs from shop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, some of you know that my mechanic has been doing the restoration on my 1982 fj40. Well the body work was finished and then my hg blew. They repaired the hg and the repair lasted all of 4 days before it blew again in royal fashion.

Here's the catch, I've always bought the parts-his suggestion-and it has worked out great until this time. I asked him (before I knew better) about, which hg to get as I was thinking Toyota, but he said any of them should do. I got a CCOT gasket kit due to cost and availability, which they put on.

After the hg blew, the shop owner with lc expertise, looked at the gasket and concluded that some stream holes were missing. He confessed that he did not look at the hg before his guy installed it. Otherwise, he said he could not see any other problems with the repair.

So he is using this as the basis to charge me again for the hg repair. He did knock down the labor to $300, but this and the whole sinking feeling that I shouldn't have bought this 40 at this stage of my life is not sitting well with me. Also, the fuel pump reportedly died. But another issue now is that cylinder 5, which had good compression before the second hg blew is now down to 108 psi.

The flip side is that the shop did a great job on the body, were great on labor costs for the body work and have been great with providing me with a crappy, but reliable loaner car since October. It's a small shop and they have put a lot of time into my 40. So all in all, should I chalk up the extra $300 in labor as coming out even in the wash? I know that I'd have paid another ship way more than $300 in labor for the body work. Thanks, Taro

sounds like to me they put the HG in wrong, period. There is no way that it should of blown in 4 days. Ask him for a detailed reason WHY a HG should blow in 4 days? the only reasonable conclusion is that they did the repair wrong. They should redo it for free, period.

make sure that you in fact ordered the right gasket and prove it to them. Also, the head should be checked to make sure that it is flat, really while they are replacing the HG a valve job should be done on the head while it is off. I am surprised that they did not reccomend that.

the head should be checked to make sure that it is flat, really while they are replacing the HG a valve job should be done on the head while it is off.

Not sure I agree about the valve job, but if they didn't check the head was true, they are negligent. You can't check the compression until it's fixed again. Not sure what you mean there.

You must be paying them a mint, so I wouldn't sweat $300. Let this be your lesson to not be in a hurry and to use Toyota parts whenever possible. I wouldn't use a CCOT gasket on my worst enemy's truck. If he's admitting to not noticing the differences in the gasket, maybe you can use that as leverage to knock off some more $$s.

The work I have done to my truck would have cost $20-$30000 at a shop. It would not be the right time in my life, ever, to embark on such an undertaking if I didn't have a place to work on it, tools, ambition and some meager skills.

Think how much more you'll appreciate driving it around once it's done. :cheers:

I guess my point is that if you are going to go through the trouble of pulling a head, it just makes sense to have a good machine shop take a look at it. I always do, they might catch stuff I will not and can professionally check the flatness of the head, etc.

The head was machined the first time the hg replaced and magnafluxed the second time the hg was replaced and no cracks were found. By compression I mean that after the hg was replaced the first time, I had good compression in each cylinder, but the compression in #5 dropped after the hg was replaced the second time.

Ps-what about fuel pumps. Will an Advanced fuel pump be good or should I order the Toyota? Thanks, Taro

Oh and the explanation was the hg. He noted that he noticed after the fact that the CCOT hg had some stream holes missing that it should of had. He ordered a Fel-pro hg that also had the missing holes that were present on the Toyota one.

Fuel pumps - you can get a Kyosan pump (OEM pump) from online retailers (i.e. partsgeek.com or many others) for much cheaper than buying the same pump from Toyota. Make sure it comes with the thick gasket/spacer to install correctly.

Thanks for the link. Where are they based out of?

He ordered a Fel-pro hg that also had the missing holes that were present on the Toyota one.

I would normally be ok with Fel-pro, but not in this case. Hope it's not already in there. Use only a Toyota HG for this application.

No sense destroying the relationship with the shop. Perhaps you buy the genuine Toyota gasket, and they flatness check the head and install it for free? - or split the labor?

They already installed the Toyota hg. I'll be paying for it. They still have the 40...now waiting for the fuel pump to arrive. He has already knocked a third off of the labor for the hg. Add the cost of fuel pump and labor to install it and a few other odds and ends and hopefully, I'll finally be on the road.

Fuel pumps - you can get a Kyosan pump (OEM pump) from online retailers (i.e. partsgeek.com or many others) for much cheaper than buying the same pump from Toyota. Make sure it comes with the thick gasket/spacer to install correctly.

You can also source an OEM Kyosan fuel pump at any NAPA store, or NAPA online. It's packaged as a NAPA brand, but the pump is a Kyosan. Show a AAA card at the store and they'll knock off 7-10%.

BTW, it comes with gaskets but not the spacer. I reused my original spacer.

IMO they shouldn't charge you for a second HG replacement.

Lee, thanks for the part reference. I'll have a garage again in about a month...can't wait!

Spike Strip, thanks for the link. I wish I did my homework before all this started :-/

Dont know if NHK is the actual OEM or a reseller, but those gaskets are identical graflex gaskets to the OE ones. Ive held them side by side. Search for pix Ive posted.

I need something a little more proof positive than "They look the same" especially coming from a Left Coast Post Queen. :princess:

How about it SPIKE-O ?

I need something a little more proof positive than "They look the same" especially coming from a Left Coast Post Queen. :princess:

How about it SPIKE-O ?

What's the matter? You burn down the trailer again ... ?

:flipoff2:

attachment.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom