Need a way to carry bikes on the cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kuat. They make great racks love my to death. They look good and work well. Little pricy tho

swagman xtc 2 here

Kind if a repost so sorry for the duplication from the what I ride thread.

Just picked up a Yakima Holdup 2 from REI. 20% off and $30 mail in rebate made it hard to pass up. Was sold on the Kuat NV till I found this at this price. I can fit 2 bikes on it with my spare tire as shown but the closer bike touches the tire. I can't open the carrier and need about 6-8" to clear. Looking for a good extension that still keeps the rack solid. I like this style of rack especially because nothing at all touches the bike which is important to me for carbon fiber. So far after a 4 hour drive home I'm happy with how stable and secure everything is. This new version also has sweet built in cable locks that retract into the arms when not in use. You can kind of see the lock in the pics. The rack is also expandable to four which I intend to do once the kids get older.

image-2492195923.jpg

image-553573220.jpg

image-2492195923.jpg

image-553573220.jpg

Last edited:
Hey....we mountain bike too.

The Yakima uses a screw pin anti wobble system. There is currently no movement. I figured with a second screw pin extension it should be pretty secure. I found one from hidden hitch that I'm going to try. Will report back.

image-2033400799.jpg

image-2033400799.jpg

Last edited:
Just got a PM from a mudder about my rack purchase. I thought I'd answer here to give others my $0.02.
Saw your post and picture of your new bike rack. I am thinking of the same setup. Did you happen to look at the Thule racks at all? If so, what made you decide on Yakima.

I've been a long time Yakima Supporter and have owned no less than six roof mount systems for my cars. I've use Thule but never thought they were up to the same quality standards. The Current Holdup from Yakima is brand spanking new this year. It has integrated bike locks and is much more adjustable than last year's. It's a bit more compact than the Thule, seems more stout and was on sale for a great price. 20% plus a $30 mail in rebate. The rack was $350 out the door. Prior to that I was going to get a Küat NV but the price was not justifiable after looking at the Yakima. The Yakima has all of the same features and similar build quality as the Küat for a lot less. The only thing missing was the repair stand and that was pretty low on my list. Another selling point to me was warranty support. Küat is a small company and I have hears some stories of slow warranty response or expense of shipping. Yakima is a huge company with dedicated customer service and the few minor issue I have had were resolved very quickly. The Küat of course is gorgeous and the Yakima is well....black. Both have an integrated bottle opener.

Swing out won't swing? Do you think there is any chance of this happening? Extension? How does it handle inside the receiver? Does it wiggle much?

I am going to try to pick up a hitch extension like This One. I just need to do some measuring this weekend so I get the right length. Eyeballing it, I need 8-10" to get the swing-out to work. The Yakima itself already has a screw-in style anti wobble mount so there is zero movement of the rack inside the hitch. All in all its a very stable rack. I figure the double anti-wobble setup should be just about as stable.

One thing to note is that Slee put's his pin hole too close to the bumper body, something that has always annoyed me about his bumpers. You can not fit the closed end of a wrench (or the wrench that comes with the rack) on the screw-pin so you have to use a open end.

I'll post a series of pics when i get everything going.

Thanks for any insights or thoughts.[/quote]

I use the Thule 9031 on the back of the LX450; it sticks way out there. Enough to clear the swingouts? I don't know. But it works for four bulky bikes.
ttt

After a year I'm not happy with the Thule 9031. Really messes up the top-tube cables and thrashes the finish on the frames. I'm looking for a rear 4-bike tray mount and also considering just the roof rack (and the sticker on the steering wheel reminding me that there are bikes on the roof).

This thread has really been an eye-opener. Like jonharis, I've owned multiple Yakima roof systems as well as several hitch-mount and spare tire racks, but that Kuat NV has me thinking of trying something different next time I buy a rack.

Try a Kuat NV. After years w/ Yakima we purchased a Kuat NV (1 1/4). With an adapter it fits the 2" receiver on the LC, as well as the sedan DD.

Both beautiful and functional.

image.jpg

We built a new arm for better clearance and to keep the bikes higher from the ground.
image.jpg
We welded a nut on the inside and used thicker wall square tubing than Thule used. When it is tightened down, it wiggles way less than the original. It also makes it roughly 13 inches taller. I don't have dual swing outs, but on one of my Dad's FJ40s, it cleared the swing out tire and cooler. You just have to watch where the pedals are placed on the inside bike.
image.jpg

Very nice... and another vote for the Kuat NV. I do not have one but helped a friend in the research of her purchase. Have thrown my bike on there while riding with her and the rack is great. Definitely on the list for a new bike rack for us.

another vote for the Kuat NV. I do not have one but helped a friend in the research of her purchase. Have thrown my bike on there while riding with her and the rack is great. Definitely on the list for a new bike rack for us.

I've got one. Built-in cable lock, rock solid built-in hitch tensioner, built-in work stand. Best rack ever.

I put an extension on my hitch. I have a rear bumper with tire carrier and jerry cans as well and with the extension, no issues there and plenty of room. I'm using a Yakima hitch rack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom