Nav to Non-Nav Conversion Walkthrough (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When people say it's hard to source the non-nav HVAC controls, especially for later model years, that means sourcing them used at a decent price, right? It's still possible to get these from a OEM Lexus parts store for $700 or whatever it is?

Yes it is keep your eye on ebay the newer the model the harder it is to find. I bought mine here with the brackets

Does this still use the ML amp and everything? What harness adapter is required to connect the head unit to the vehicle?

I found a non-nav a/c control unit from a salvage yard, but they want $400 to pull and ship it to me. Seems steep, or are my expectations off? (I know, I know, supply and demand and all that jazz.)

Does this still use the ML amp and everything? What harness adapter is required to connect the head unit to the vehicle?
Yes. Have to use CANBUS adapter. Usually the android head unit can be bough with CANBUS adapter option.

I found a non-nav a/c control unit from a salvage yard, but they want $400 to pull and ship it to me. Seems steep, or are my expectations off? (I know, I know, supply and demand and all that jazz.)
I paid $250 for the controller, bracket and harness 4 months ago. People are paying $150 2-3 years ago.

Mine is 05. Newer model might be that much since they are a lot rarer.

I paid $250 for the controller, bracket and harness 4 months ago. People are paying $150 2-3 years ago.

Mine is 05. Newer model might be that much since they are a lot rarer.

Thanks, that's helpful. This is for an 04, but so far that's the only response to my inquiries that I've received so it seems like that or nothing right now.

Yes. Have to use CANBUS adapter. Usually the android head unit can be bough with CANBUS adapter option.
What if you wanted to use say, an Alpine head unit? Is there an adapter harness for the ML system?

What if you wanted to use say, an Alpine head unit? Is there an adapter harness for the ML system?
Yes but it's as expensive as my android head unit just for the adapter.

cloudsurfin

In 2005 the wiring changed. Don't believe all the ebay junkyard resellers telling you the 2003+ HVAC controllers will work. They look and fit the same, some of the wiring outputs are subtly very different. Taking them for granted and not precisely comparing the 2003 and 2005 wiring diagrams resulted in a solution that almost worked. Except the AC wouldn't cycle, and turned out the signal was positive where it was later negative. A royal hassle in the end. Turns out you really just need to order the 2006 (or your year) HVAC and suck up the $1300 cost. No junk yard is going to have an 05+ HVAC unit because very few were sold in the US. I tried both an 03 and 04 before I really dug in and looked at the wiring diagrams.

since the 06+ HVAC controls are hard to find, is it theoretically possible to just repin the 03 04 05 HVAC controls? it appears there's at most, 8 wires and apparently there's already cutting involved to extend the HVAC wires from nav harness to reach the HVAC controls.

if there were an extension harness, it seems like it'd be easy(er) to repurpose an 03 for use in an 06.

Last edited:
since the 06+ HVAC controls are hard to find, is it theoretically possible to just repin the 03 04 05 HVAC controls? it appears there's at most, 8 wires and apparently there's already cutting involved to extend the HVAC wires from nav harness to reach the HVAC controls.

if there were an extension harness, it seems like it'd be easy(er) to repurpose an 03 for use in an 06.
The extension wiring is easy to plug and play. But you still will not have the A / C air conditioner working when you press the button if you set 2003 to 2006. A different command is sent through the AVC LAN IEBUS to turn on the air conditioner compressor. You can, of course, set climate control 2003 to 2006, only you have to make one more separate button to turn on the air conditioning compressor.

if anyone needs climate control for the GX470 2003-2004, I can sell it with brackets for the radio, plus shipping.
I can also make the extension wiring plug and play,

0EECED86-131A-4C9E-8D0D-94D70A4B6DDC.jpeg

D4630634-75A9-443A-A1C6-E4A3392A1835.jpeg

Last edited:
The extension wiring is easy to plug and play. But you still will not have the A / C air conditioner working when you press the button if you set 2003 to 2006. A different command is sent through the AVC LAN IEBUS to turn on the air conditioner compressor. You can, of course, set climate control 2003 to 2006, only you have to make one more separate button to turn on the air conditioning compressor.

so there's no way to source that signal from within the harness on an 06+, not even with reworking some pins or crossing some wires in an extension harness?

if anyone needs climate control for the GX470 2003-2004, I can sell it for $270 with brackets for the radio, plus shipping.
I can also make the extension wiring plug and play 50$.

PM sent...

so there's no way to source that signal from within the harness on an 06+, not even with reworking some pins or crossing some wires in an extension harness?
there is no easy way, even if you try to swap the wires. There is a difficult way, but this requires a programmer who can work with Arduino. There is one person in Ukraine who sells a special self-developed Board that connects to a PC and to the AVC LAN IEBUS gx470 can bus. this card reads the encoded signal when the A/C button is pressed. Then this code is stored in the memory of the Arduino. I talked with this person, the seller of the Board, as well as with the person who implemented these clicks on the Android radio, I tried to go this way and even buy this radio from him, but then I just successfully found the climate control for gx470 2006-2009 and installed it. You can see in this video how this programmer implemented using Arduino pressing the air conditioner buttons on an Android radio.

4A059631-A7CB-4E40-A3EB-810363200601.jpeg

6A943C9C-68B8-457F-AEF5-4D4A21E46B87.jpeg

Last edited:
there is no easy way, even if you try to swap the wires. There is a difficult way, but this requires a programmer who can work with Arduino. There is one person in Ukraine who sells a special self-developed Board that connects to a PC and to the AVC LAN IEBUS gx470 can bus. this card reads the encoded signal when the A/C button is pressed. Then this code is stored in the memory of the Arduino. I talked with this person, the seller of the Board, as well as with the person who implemented these clicks on the Android radio, I tried to go this way and even buy this radio from him, but then I just successfully found the climate control for gx470 2006-2009 and installed it. You can see in this video how this programmer implemented using Arduino pressing the air conditioner buttons on an Android radio.

View attachment 2469744

View attachment 2469745

Hey this might be a stupid question, but those 2 pictures don't look like the non-nav HVAC controls i've seen. that looks like a nav unit with the screen removed. did someone figure out how to leave the nav unite a/c controls but replace the screen??

Hey this might be a stupid question, but those 2 pictures don't look like the non-nav HVAC controls i've seen. that looks like a nav unit with the screen removed. did someone figure out how to leave the nav unite a/c controls but replace the screen??
yes, you can remove the navigation unit, and install any android radio, you only need to display all the buttons of the air conditioner on the android screen. This is not quite easy to do, you need to be a programmer and have experience with arduino.

yes, you can remove the navigation unit, and install any android radio, you only need to display all the buttons of the air conditioner on the android screen. This is not quite easy to do, you need to be a programmer and have experience with arduino.

I do not have the talent or intelligence to do that, but, wow, that is so cool that folks are doing mods like that!

Im looking to do an alpine double din in my conversion but don't see any mention of using beat sonic to install a head unit like this and continue to use the ML system. This is also 259 vs 349(for the pac AmpPRO 4 Amplifier Integration Interface)

Beat-Sonic SLX-82AAD - this is made for 2003-2009 Lexus GX 470 with Mark Levinson Sound and without factory navigation as stated in the product description However, Im assuming originally designed of course for people who don't have nav and NOT people who converted to non nav....thoughts? Maybe I'm overthinking this

Thank you

I'd be interested in a Climate Control unit for an 05 (88650-60771) is you have access.
at the moment, there is no climate control with this number. Then in October there was such a price, now the price has increased, as we also have increased the price of spare parts sellers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom