My wife's 100 runs poorly after timing belt change (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Our LC100, bought new in 2000 with 197k on the clock recently had a timing belt change. Ever since I got it back it seems to lack power. I have a GX470 and before the TB change there wasn't much difference in power, now it feels like I'm hauling a trailer and it idles not so smoothly. We did fuel filter, plugs, air filter etc afterwards but it didn't help.

I'm wondering if they got the belt placement off by a tooth. If anyone has ideas I'd sure appreciate them before I take it somewhere else to diagnose.

Thanks

Agree, sounds like the timing is off by a tooth.

other than dig into it I wonder if there is another way to tell if this is the case.

Ought to be able to get the engine to TDC and pull the tb inspection covers off easy enough to see. 30 min. Job. Does sound like a tooth off

No codes, no cel, no backfire. Local guys that are wizards with ford diesels, wasn't overly impressed with their Toyota knowledge

Wouldn't the timing belt being off a tooth cause massive backfires and probably not even run at all? I bet it is not the timing belt.
There have been a few reports of guys running with the timing off by a tooth, no CEL but reduced power and higher than normal fuel consumption. One guy, LX 470 AUS, purchased a truck from a dealer that had had the timing belt done 30K miles earlier and it was off all the time. His symptoms were 10 mpg, rough idle and trouble maintaining highway speeds.

Paddo, that is my exact scenario, scanguage shows ~12MPG, rough idle and feels like I'm pulling a trailer up a hill even on level ground. I have an appt with they guys that work on my GX tomorrow to check it out. I just don't have the experience, time nor the place and its raining here for the next few days.

Could be the crankshaft position sensor was not reconnected. That was a problem for someone else a couple years ago.

Paddo, that is my exact scenario, scanguage shows ~12MPG, rough idle and feels like I'm pulling a trailer up a hill even on level ground. I have an appt with they guys that work on my GX tomorrow to check it out. I just don't have the experience, time nor the place and its raining here for the next few days.
Have a look at the thread "no power at high rpm" by LX 470 AUS. Apart from the poor performance and fuel consumption the only anomaly he saw was his hot idle ignition timing was around 8 degrees and mine, for comparison, fell in the 11-15 degree range. Common thoughts on his problem were restricted exhaust and restricted fuel flow but it turned out that whomever did the TB prior to his purchase aligned it incorrectly. I'd expect your mechanics with 2UZ experience will eyeball the timing marks at tdc.

Thanks for all the advice, the "no power at high rpm" thread was interesting as well as "newbies getting the TB off by two teeth by using the T not the TDC mark. Well, a picture is worth 1000 words, 12 teeth, 45 degrees ? I'm surprised this even ran.

tb.png

Last edited:
tb1.png
and another

Last edited:
Wouldn't the timing belt being off a tooth cause massive backfires and probably not even run at all? I bet it is not the timing belt.

I've never come across an engine that sensitive to timing being off. There's usually enough resolution in the belts that one tooth won't cause catastrophic failure, but it'll be noticeable. Timing an engine with an adjustable distributor is similar. You have to get pretty far off before it won't run. In my experience, usually more than 15-20 degrees.

Looks like OP was 45 degrees off. Yikes. That's crazy.

Not sure what this is about...Thanks Ali GX for pointing out my incorrect assumption that this is the driver's side cam.

tb2.png

Last edited:
Ouch, That is impressive. I would be speaking with the shop and getting a whole lot of money back. They are lucky that interference isn't a problem.

Why not take it back and make them fix it? Tell them you want the Sr./master mechanic to fix it.

Why not take it back and make them fix it? Tell them you want the Sr./master mechanic to fix it.

Thanks, that would be nice and too easy except:

This is the work of their "senior mechanic", I don't want them to touch any vehicle I own after this.
We did take it back once and they stated it just needed a tune up, plugs, fuel filter etc, it did need these things.
The competent shop is already into it and this is not the only issue they found that should have been taken care of, the shop was to go over everything and make sure the car was ready for a 2500 mile road trip, once we got it back and I drove it I made other arrangements. I was leaving town the next day.

My final trip will be to take the documentation and pictures to show the shop owner and see what his move will be, I'm not expecting much. For $500 its not worth the hassle of small claims court however spending a couple of hours on angies list and online reviews may be.

Thanks though

Last edited:
Bummer. Just a shame. Where are you located? Even though this engine is very popular, it amazes me how many incompetent mechanics there are. Here is another thread which speaks to that Timing belt failure, 07 LC

I'm near Nashville. I found a shop when I got my GX that knows these, there are always some interesting vehicles including several FJ40s in the lot owned by the shop owner and techs. They are in the nicer suburbs and do a lot of Lexus work. I wish I had known about these guys when I had my Tacoma.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom