Builds My therapy truck build, 1994 FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After 4 months of living full time out of the Cruiser and making Big Basin, Portola Redwoods, and Butano state parks our home, we finally knew what we wanted (live full time on the road, traveling) and what we needed to do (get an apartment, set up base, get focused on building out the truck).

During this whole time, I had been slowly stashing away parts for a big baseline job. I knew I wanted it done right. Dependability was paramount, I intended to get out to a lot of remote places, solo.

Found good things mentioned about Gary at Mudrak on here, so I got shop time scheduled, and he took care of me big time. Really nice, genuine guy, consulted me on a lot of considerations, and his guys worked two days straight on the truck from 8am until about 10pm both days to get it done since it’s my DD and I live down in the peninsula.

So here’s the total job Mudrak got done. Prices for parts only, from various sources.

Oil and filter change
Oil pump cover o-ring and screws: $31.79
Valve cover gasket: $82.49
PCV valve: $6.64
PCV valve grommet: $3.60
Plenum hose: $145.36
Crankshaft front oil seal: $21.10
Transmission pan gasket replacement: $25.22
Transmission filter
Spark plugs, K16R-U Denso OEM: $35.70
Spark plug wires, Denso OEM: $162.07
Distributor cap: $19.84
Distributor rotor: $12.86
Alternator, Sequioa OEM 150 amps: $369
IBS battery monitor: $379
House battery, Interstate Mega-Tron Plus 27, 810 CCA: $159
Rear heater removal and bypass
J-bolts: $11.08
Front axle, rebuild with Marlin seals: $145
Radiator, OEM 3-core, sourced from Beno: $435.04
Radiator hoses, HPS silicone radiator + PHH kit: $184.90
Fan clutch, Aisin blue hub FCT-004, filled with 20k CST silicone differential fluid: $76.93
Breeze Hose SAE 10 and 24 Constant Torque Clamps: $121.16
Aux radiator fan, OEM Toyota: $75, relay: $19
100 series front brake pads: $77.99

Parts sourced from Ranma21, on Mud:
water pump with gasket: $138
Thermostat: $16.20
Thermostat Gasket
heater valve: $108.49
coolant temp sensor: $50.30
A/C belt: $14.40
Alternator belt: $12.38

In total, between parts sourced from Ranma21, Beno, Mudrak's, and some places online, plus labor, this job came out to ~$7,500.

Acquisition cost of said truck was ~$6,500.

I'm not worried about it, because I did my Mud research and have read the famous "Cost of owning an 80" thread :) I know it's all about a solid "platform", I'm happy the truck is safer than before by multiple factors and I know I'm one step closer to living the dream.

With our fresh, baselined Cruiser, we decided to take a week trip to Joshua Tree. With a lot of the major engine items replaced and the whole thing looked over by Mudrak, I had peace of mind about the overall condition of the vehicle.

This trip brought back all the wonderful feelings we had when we first visited Joshua Tree and the desert for the first time, so on a spontaneous leap we started looking for cheap, wide open land. A few days later, we scooped up five acres for our future homestead in rural Twentynine Palms.

It’s served as a great camping spot, and it’ll serve as a good basecamp for exploring the surrounding area (JT, Mojave desert, Painted Canyon, Salton Sea, Anza-Borrego). Looking forward to building a home there in the future.

IMG_4983.JPG

IMG_4975.JPG

Last edited:
In September of last year my CEL popped up and it turned out to be the #1 O2 sensor. Did some Mud research and it seemed O2 sensors are one of those things you don't necessarily need to pay top dollar to get Denso OEM parts for. Seemed people had no issues with the NTK ones. Double checked with my friendly guys at the local Toyota shop and they confirmed the same. Got it replaced and the light went away.

Two months later, CEL came back on, #2 O2 sensor. Replaced with NTK and the light went away.

Maybe, when I go to replace something that's over twenty years old, and it comes in pairs, I should save myself the hassle and change both at the same time.

NTK O2 sensors, Amazon, $156.39 for both.

There a few a few years to this thread with some big gaps. What happened with the job? I need some details now. You sucked me in with that story.

How far is your land away from the Marine Corps Desert Training Area? I know we blow up some EXTREMELY large caches out there! Keep your ear plugs at the ready...... I'm glad to see both of you chasing your dreams though! Don't ever stop..... life's too short!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom