Builds My therapy truck build, 1994 FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just a thought here about seepage, I had similar problem, and it wasnt until I decided to change the oil that I realized the drain plug was practically finger tight. I replaced the washer and torque correctly after oil/filter change, no more seepage.

Some of that looked like Transmission fluid. Check along the lines for the Trans Oil Cooler for leaks.
The Trans oil cooler is the smaller radiator in the front on the driver side. Follow those lines underneath and look for seepage.
Replace hoses and tubes as necessary.

Last edited:
WTF? Why is everything center aligned now?

What a great story! I did the train thing into NYC from Long Island years ago. It gets old fast. Glad your trip went smooth as most if not all do in a Land Cruiser. Welcome and keep us posted on what mods you do to it.

@Rudster, believe it or not, I used to live out in Hampton Bays, and for a year, I commuted from there to 34th St. every day. It was a 3 hour train ride, one way, 6 hours a day, 5 days a week. Looking back, it was so dumb the extent I went in the name of career experience and advancement. Now with my trusty Cruiser I'm just looking for a more relaxed, balanced lifestyle :)

Great story and welcome!

One thing that gave me a scare when I first purchased mine was the radiator cap. Mine was faulty and caused the vehicle to overheat and spew out coolant. It's only $7 and probably the easiest part on the truck to replace! Well worth replacing if it looks worn. I also bought an Ultragauge to keep a better eye on coolant temps.

If there's oil leaking around the valve cover, you can time replacing the gasket with the PHH (although sometimes you can just tighten the bolts tighter). It's a lot easier to change the PHH and the firewall hoses with the valve cover off. You can also take a peek at your spark plugs to ensure they're all burning consistent.

I've read a few mentions about the cap, pretty amazing how something so simple could be so catastrophic, but I guess all mechanical failures are, d'oh! This vehicle had no maintenance history beyond last November, so I've decided to replace the entire radiator as PM, and lucky for me a cap comes with it.

I've looked at the Ultra/Scangauge but looks like I have to have OBD II? I'm really keen to get an accurate meter on the temps but I think the only option for an OBD I '94 is a meter with direct thermometer/sensor, like an Autogauge. Definitely tell me if I'm wrong, I'd love a Scangauge item or similar for OBD I.

Great back story, welcome to the 80's, and welcome to CA! Yes, unfortunately there are theives out there who want your LC, so kill switches (especially in the bay area) aren't a bad idea. I myself haven't done any yet, but I'm relying on dogs that bark if a flea sneezes, and one of those brake pedal anti theft devices called an Autolock. Knowing theft rates and sought after vehicles, I saw one work firsthand with an ex girlfriend Acura integra. It was pushed down the street, ignition all busted up, parts stolen, but the car wasn't taken. I plan on a killswitch or two as well, haven't gotten to it yet. Maintenance issues first, including the PHH, and do a thorough check of all the rubber hoses while you're under the hood. Easy way to check the radiator hoses is visually, bulging, small cracks around the ends, and likely they'll still have the stick clamps on them. Another way to check those is give them a good squeeze with th radiator cap off. (Make sure the coolant isn't right at the top, or have a couple rags/catch pan under it) Give them a good squeeze in a few spots, especially near the bends, if they're really soft then they could be ready to burst. Also, if you feel cracking when you squeeze, then they're shot, brittle inside means they're trashed. You're checking all the fluids so that's a great start. Along with the PHH, some folks don't ever need the rear heater so they bypass it, to eliminate a potential problem. If you go to your local dealer, or check the owners manual (if you have one) it should have a maintenance schedule in the back to which is a good start to keeping up on it. As far as tools, you'll hear it all from pris to cons on this tool and that. My .02¢, a good starter kit with ratchets, sockets and wrenches from an automotive store or home improvement store will be a great start. Some decent screwdrivers, pliers, and a few similar items are best to spend a few extra bucks on to get better tools. Always shop for tools at the larger stores on holidays, sale sale sale! Some people cringe at Harbor Freight Tools, and yes, some of their stuff is junk, but on the other side of that, for beginners, some of it is great. I have a small totebag, like a traveling personal supply bag in with the jack with a set of bare essentials to try and get me home. Take some time and go look around before you buy and don't hesitate to ask more questions on here as well. Another mention, replacing belts and hoses before they completely fail gives you spares to limp home on a hen you're out in the boonies! :cheers:

Phil, thanks for all the tips. Without any maintenance history I've decided to go ahead and replace all the hoses with quality silicone. Doing it once for peace of mind on remote trips goes a long way in my mind. I just bought some tools to make my own "starter set". Not complete by any means but enough to get me started with the heater hose/PHH, radiator, water pump and belt job. Will post pics when it all comes in the mail..

Speaking of tools, has anyone have good recommendations for jack stands? I've been searching hard for USA made ones that are durable and safe. I'd rather have a locking pin, it seems more safe than a pawl, but it seems the best all around USA made one is US Jack. Although they aren't pin locked, they have a double-pawl mechanism and is rated per stand, not per pair, so it seems they are much more durable.

I've seen Norco's, but they're retardedly expensive and not pin-locked either, but they have USA made versions. I'm thinking... 6-ton jack stands and a 3-ton floor jack.

I took "Big Red" out for a Sunday drive. This was shot on Route 130 headed up Mount Hamilton towards Lick Observatory. Decided to check it out after searching "scenic drives" in "San Jose" on Yelp. Most people said there was hardly anyone encountered on the roads, which is a perfect road for me. Reviewers also said the road was narrow and twisty, but I wasn't worried about it, having had my fair share.

I wanted a really good scenic spot for a shot of Big Red. So off I went. It was my first taste of taking the Cruiser through twisties. Relentless twisties, climbs and 180-degree hairpin turns.

First impressions:
I read beforehand that the 1FZE isn't the most powerful, and yes, I can now attest to it, but I did engage turbo-boost (ECT button) and turned O/D off the entire way up. With a little pedal management it wasn't so bad, the roads were too narrow and winding to go fast anyway.

What really killed me on the drive were the endless, narrow, cliff-hanger twisties. The LC felt super cumbersome to maneuver and I found myself quite jealous of the lightweight, sleek motorbikes going by. Especially my fav the BMW GS :X

But I got quite a nice shot if I do say so myself.. or maybe everyone is just biased/enamored by their own LC!

LC-130-lick-observatory.jpg

So besides repairs, what are the short and long term plans for this thing?

Phil, thanks for all the tips. Without any maintenance history I've decided to go ahead and replace all the hoses with quality silicone. Doing it once for peace of mind on remote trips goes a long way in my mind. I just bought some tools to make my own "starter set". Not complete by any means but enough to get me started with the heater hose/PHH, radiator, water pump and belt job. Will post pics when it all comes in the mail..

Speaking of tools, has anyone have good recommendations for jack stands? I've been searching hard for USA made ones that are durable and safe. I'd rather have a locking pin, it seems more safe than a pawl, but it seems the best all around USA made one is US Jack. Although they aren't pin locked, they have a double-pawl mechanism and is rated per stand, not per pair, so it seems they are much more durable.

I've seen Norco's, but they're retardedly expensive and not pin-locked either, but they have USA made versions. I'm thinking... 6-ton jack stands and a 3-ton floor jack.
I'd say the vast majority of everyone on here, bang for the buck, are harbor freight with the pawl. As for pin type, haven't used those type in a long time. Maybe make your own if you can?

I've read a few mentions about the cap, pretty amazing how something so simple could be so catastrophic, but I guess all mechanical failures are, d'oh! This vehicle had no maintenance history beyond last November, so I've decided to replace the entire radiator as PM, and lucky for me a cap comes with it.

I've looked at the Ultra/Scangauge but looks like I have to have OBD II? I'm really keen to get an accurate meter on the temps but I think the only option for an OBD I '94 is a meter with direct thermometer/sensor, like an Autogauge. Definitely tell me if I'm wrong, I'd love a Scangauge item or similar for OBD I.

Yea, it actually overheated, spewing out coolant when the temperatures outside were in the teens. I for sure thought it was something worse! Good to hear you're overhauling cooling system.

Sorry - I didn't notice yours was a 94.. You're right, it needs OBD II for Ultra/Scangauges to work. OBD II switched over in 96 (and some 95).

I took "Big Red" out for a Sunday drive. This was shot on Route 130 headed up Mount Hamilton towards Lick Observatory. Decided to check it out after searching "scenic drives" in "San Jose" on Yelp. Most people said there was hardly anyone encountered on the roads, which is a perfect road for me. Reviewers also said the road was narrow and twisty, but I wasn't worried about it, having had my fair share.

I wanted a really good scenic spot for a shot of Big Red. So off I went. It was my first taste of taking the Cruiser through twisties. Relentless twisties, climbs and 180-degree hairpin turns.

First impressions:
I read beforehand that the 1FZE isn't the most powerful, and yes, I can now attest to it, but I did engage turbo-boost (ECT button) and turned O/D off the entire way up. With a little pedal management it wasn't so bad, the roads were too narrow and winding to go fast anyway.

What really killed me on the drive were the endless, narrow, cliff-hanger twisties. The LC felt super cumbersome to maneuver and I found myself quite jealous of the lightweight, sleek motorbikes going by. Especially my fav the BMW GS :X

But I got quite a nice shot if I do say so myself.. or maybe everyone is just biased/enamored by their own LC!

LC-130-lick-observatory.jpg

Hair pin turn.....hmmm..wait till you try Black Bear pass in Colorado. My palm sweated quite a bit when I went there with an unlock 3rd gen 4runner by myself with no spotter!! :eek:

We drive tanks, that handle like 20' cabin cruiser boats, and then we take them places they're not meant to be based on size, weight, handling and other variables. Happy cruisin!

Just curious, how far out of San Jose is that? Looks really nice, almost desolate.

I went to the Capital Toyota in San Jose to get a VIN-cut key. PO only had one and I figured might as well get one "master key" to copy from because I wanted at least 2 more keys.

They guy at the parts counter tells me it's $25 to request the key code from Toyota. I didn't expect this but I figured... I only need to do this once. Then he tells me it's another $16 for the blank key. I hadn't done any research on Mud prior to this, so I wasn't expecting this either. I said, "Really? $16 for a blank?" He asked why I needed a new key, was the current one rounded off? I said no, I just have one and I need another before I lock my dumbass out. He says, then you just need a cheap key, and disappears into the back to make me a key. It's done about five minutes later, and he gave it to me for free. Awesome, dude.

So some immediate differences from the OEM key to the cheapo Ilco key, right when I get to the car. The plastic handle is much thinner, and it feels like a rough plastic, whereas the OEM key feels more substantial in the hand and a rubberized, smooth feel to it. I forgot to take a side photo but you can compare the shadows of the two keys to get the difference.

The metal part itself is also much thinner. Overall the key has a flimsy feel. Every time I turn it in the door lock it feels very soft, almost like aluminum, and feels like it's twisting. The first few times I really thought it did but after being my daily key for a while, it's still straight. I think it's just the tactile feedback of the thin key.

Another big difference is the length of the key. In using the Ilco key I noticed that every time I've shut off the car and pulled the key out, when I open the door it beeps as though I still have the key in the ignition. In the beginning I would put the key back in and give it a wiggle and pull it back out, and usually that would stop it. Nowadays I've realized that it just stops beeping after about 10 seconds.

Not sure if it's just the length, or a combination of length and thickness, that makes it beep like that, but every time, it's stopped so I'm just going to live with it and keep my good key safe for now. Can't complain about a cheap key that works, just a comparison if you end up considering paying for one.

I'm hoping to score a deal somewhere, someday, on blanks closer to $10 I can stomach.

key-comparison.jpg

We drive tanks, that handle like 20' cabin cruiser boats, and then we take them places they're not meant to be based on size, weight, handling and other variables. Happy cruisin!

Lack of turning radius has taken me by surprise a few times as a newbie in the LC seat as well. D'oh.

I went to the Capital Toyota in San Jose to get a VIN-cut key. PO only had one and I figured might as well get one "master key" to copy from because I wanted at least 2 more keys.

They guy at the parts counter tells me it's $25 to request the key code from Toyota. I didn't expect this but I figured... I only need to do this once. Then he tells me it's another $16 for the blank key. I hadn't done any research on Mud prior to this, so I wasn't expecting this either. I said, "Really? $16 for a blank?" He asked why I needed a new key, was the current one rounded off? I said no, I just have one and I need another before I lock my dumbass out. He says, then you just need a cheap key, and disappears into the back to make me a key. It's done about five minutes later, and he gave it to me for free. Awesome, dude.

So some immediate differences from the OEM key to the cheapo Ilco key, right when I get to the car. The plastic handle is much thinner, and it feels like a rough plastic, whereas the OEM key feels more substantial in the hand and a rubberized, smooth feel to it. I forgot to take a side photo but you can compare the shadows of the two keys to get the difference.

The metal part itself is also much thinner. Overall the key has a flimsy feel. Every time I turn it in the door lock it feels very soft, almost like aluminum, and feels like it's twisting. The first few times I really thought it did but after being my daily key for a while, it's still straight. I think it's just the tactile feedback of the thin key.

Another big difference is the length of the key. In using the Ilco key I noticed that every time I've shut off the car and pulled the key out, when I open the door it beeps as though I still have the key in the ignition. In the beginning I would put the key back in and give it a wiggle and pull it back out, and usually that would stop it. Nowadays I've realized that it just stops beeping after about 10 seconds.

Not sure if it's just the length, or a combination of length and thickness, that makes it beep like that, but every time, it's stopped so I'm just going to live with it and keep my good key safe for now. Can't complain about a cheap key that works, just a comparison if you end up considering paying for one.

I'm hoping to score a deal somewhere, someday, on blanks closer to $10 I can stomach.

key-comparison.jpg
I have the ilco key as well, only one I have that the PO furnished with the truck, an I'm going to do the same. It feels flimsy while in operation, and if it snapped I'd probably lose it(my cool). I plan on getting one soon, I'll post my findings. I have a buddy in Sacramento at Maita Toyota, gives me a smokin' deal on parts, and can order anything with a part number that's available worldwide.

Lack of turning radius has taken me by surprise a few times as a newbie in the LC seat as well. D'oh.
And after I tore down my front axle when putting my lift in, (important to keep in mind, I have done the part time conversion, so the front axle only turns when in 4wd, with the freshly installed hubs locked in) knowing I was installing the part time kit, I adjusted the knuckle stoppers a bit farther than spec, as to help with this problem. It has worked flawlessly while on the road as the axles aren't turning, and I ALWAYS make sure not to turn to full lock when 4wheeling. It is almost identical to the stock 4runner radius I have been used to for a long time, and my LC is lifted on 37's. I haven't seen the mpg increase with the kit as hoped for, but I have stock gearing and those big tires, so I'll watch it like a hawk after the r&p install this winter. @nextuniverse , what's your plans with your rig down the road? :cheers:

Almost two years later, finally updating my build thread. Long story short, my gf and I lived out of the Cruiser for four months, camping around private land, Big Basin, Portola, and Butano state parks here in the SF Peninsula. This was while I still worked at a full time office job in the valley. We figured the best way to know what we wanted in our build, our needs and preferences, was to actually camp out of the Cruiser for a time.

Camp site view from Boulder Creek, CA:

IMG_4776.JPG

Peeking between the Redwoods at Big Basin SP:

IMG_4962.JPG

On the way to work, taking a stop by Windy Hill on Skyline Blvd. to enjoy the valley views:

IMG_4793.JPG

After four months, we had enough field research and returned to the apartment life, to setup a “base camp” and build out the truck for long term travel.

Next posts contain everything done from then up to the present.

What got old really quick while camping was maintaining an ice cooler and the gf wasn’t going to put up with soggy, floating food. She takes her food seriously!

So our first “overland accessories” purchases were:
  • an Arb 63QT from Amazon, $1,005.11 & free shipping
  • An Arb transit insulator bag from Amazon, $133.99 & free shipping
Since I still needed to go to the office everyday, I needed a power source that I could leave behind with the fridge at the campsite. That meant a dual-battery setup wouldn’t help in this situation, so after some research I nabbed a pair of Aspect Solar Energy Bars.

At the time, I paid $507.83 each / $1,015.66 for the pair. They are a 294 watt hour LifePO4 lithium battery. At first I was looking at the Yeti Goal Zero batteries but they didn’t offer lithium options at the time, and I couldn’t imagine lugging around two Goal Zeros running AGM batteries.

As of right now 6/9/17 you can find the Energybars on Amazon for really cheap. It seems the company went out of business, with many people complaining of getting used items from their Amazon purchase, their warranty not being honored, or battery meter being faulty.

Luckily I received brand new ones at the time and it doesn’t seem that my meter is faulty, though I don’t pay too much attention to it.

Charging Performance - I’m really impressed with how fast they charge from the AC adapter. Website claimed 3 hours but I found sometimes it recharged a completely dead battery in less than 2 hours, from the 15V/8A ‘quickcharge’ socket.

Two hours seems fast when I was charging it at the office. Two hours seems like an eternity when I was always trying to charge it in a cramped coffee shop on weekends when not at the office. Why?

Because charging performance from 12v is dreadfully slow. I’ve started whole day trips from a dead battery and it still hasn’t fully charged with a full day of driving. The 12v adapter works best as a trickle charger to keep the battery topped off.

This is how I’ve been using it up to now:
12v adapter from cig outlet to trickle charge a fully charged battery
Fridge plugged into battery
In this way, the battery stays at 100%.

Runtime Performance - Unplugged, the battery consistently lasted over 24 hours running just the ARB fridge. Fridge was kept at the campsite full time, inside the food lock box. This was throughout the summer, so ambient temps at the campsite ranged anywhere from 50s in the morning to 80s in the late afternoon. This worked great as I would charge one at work and just swap it out everyday when I got back to camp.

So, a price recap:
ARB 63QT: 1,005.11
ARB transit bag: 133.99
(2) EnergyBars: 1,015.66

Total fridge setup: $2,154.76

Overall, I am happy with my purchase but wouldn’t recommend this exact product to others as the company has gone out of business so there would be no honoring of any warranty.

Until I get back on the road full time, I’ve been keeping one at home and one in the truck as backup emergency power. Later on, will look at different ways to integrate them into the dual battery setup I’ve got on the truck now.

Does anyone know if there’s a way to use the Energybar to charge the truck battery in case of an emergency? I was thinking maybe the 12V/20A outlet? But I don’t know what kind of outlet that is or what goes in it..

energybar.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom