My scratch built expedition style trailer build up thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks guys, I just sent a batch to powder coat. I have a few holes to make today, a gasket sealing flange for the tailgate, mount the gas struts for the lid and we are ready to strip it back down for paint and rubberized undercoating.

Rezarf <><

I got a lot more done today but not too much to show for it in terms of pictures. I have to mount up my battery charger, drill a plumbing line hole and the front box is DONE! :D :bounce:

I got a few parts back from my powder-coat guy... YOU know who you are. It is quite a feeling seeing shiny parts get on this thing FINALLY! :D Thanks again bud! I had him shine up my strikers for the latches, the fenders, the propane mounts, and the battery tie down, and they all came out SWEET!
powder coat.JPG
brad!.JPG

Here is a few shots of my new shiny fenders, I am going to hit the inside with some rubberized undercoating but otherwise these are done! :D
fenders powder coat.JPG
fenders powder coat 2.JPG
powder coat fenders.JPG

My first job today was to get the shower installed and fitted into the front box. It went smoothly and I am getting better with the cut off wheel and the grinder when going for straight lines. Pretty straight forward install, I will plumb it before moab if I have time... plumbing is getting further down on the list for sure since we have full services where we will be "camping."

It is a nice little unit I scored off ebay for a song. It locks and has inputs for cold and hot water... hmmm maybe a water heater in the future. Anyhow, my wife has beautiful long hair and a nice warm shower on a long weekend might coax her out to a few more outings this summer.

I'd like to paint it black, is there such a paint for plastic?
shower1.JPG
shower2.JPG
shower3.JPG

Last edited:
Next up was the plug in port for the battery charger. It is a Marinco (I like all their products so far) and is really well built. I went back and forth on where to put it, but in the end function won out over aesthetics and it now lives where you see it. It will allow me to run an extension cord from a power source to charge the batteries, either at home, or at a campground with facilities, or mooching off a hotel on a long road trip ;)
charger outlet.JPG
charger outlet3.JPG
charger outlet 4.JPG

Congratulations...I have been watching this since it was a drawing and my hat is off to you.

Drew I don't want to be a party pooper, but rather bring something to light while it can still be fixed.

I was going threw this whole thread again and admiring your work when something occurred to me on about page 19. I noticed that your tailgate opened all the way sits flush on the rear bumper. Then I recalled you were going to run FJ40 tail lights in it for some class. With the 40 taillights on there are you at risk of crushing the lenses every time you open your tail gate? I seem to recall for some reason you saying you might run some other taillights but for the life of me I cannot find the post. Here are some pics of what i'm talking about.

Tailgate fully lowered for drawer access:
attachment.php

Protruding FJ40 taillight assembly:
attachment.php

Drew, looks amazing. The Krylon paint should work well for the shower inclosure. I would wipe it down with mineral spirits or something first.

Drew I don't want to be a party pooper, but rather bring something to light while it can still be fixed.

I was going threw this whole thread again and admiring your work when something occurred to me on about page 19. I noticed that your tailgate opened all the way sits flush on the rear bumper. Then I recalled you were going to run FJ40 tail lights in it for some class. With the 40 taillights on there are you at risk of crushing the lenses every time you open your tail gate? I seem to recall for some reason you saying you might run some other taillights but for the life of me I cannot find the post. Here are some pics of what i'm talking about.

Tailgate fully lowered for drawer access:
attachment.php

Protruding FJ40 taillight assembly:
attachment.php

Nick-

Glad to have a friend like you in my corner. You are totally right, one of my club members pointed it out to me as well. The way the lid hinges it may clear, but probably not. I will have to use either a rubber bumper (think rubber stop) and or a set of limiting cables (more likeyl).

Man, you need to come out to my house and go over this with a fine tooth comb, I appreciate it... and anyone else that sees a problem I would ask you to speak up! Not that I will change it though ;)

Thanks man.

Rezarf <><

For painting the plastic for your shower take a look at Krylon | Krylon® Fusion for Plastic®

Krylon claims that their Fusion paint will adhere to plastics. Check out Wal-Mart or Ace Hardware or others to find it.

Can't wait to see this all painted and put together. I love the look, especially with the RTT on it.

Great! Thanks I am going to pick up a can today and give it a whirl... welcome to mud! :D

are you worried about having the showering assembly in the same box, and close to, the dual battery setup? great build btw, I have been following it for some time!

are you worried about having the showering assembly in the same box, and close to, the dual battery setup? great build btw, I have been following it for some time!

Nope, it may make for easy heated showers :D

Why do you ask?

I got the water tank fitted, installed, welded and bolted up tonight. Not too bad.

First up was to make sure the water tank fit with room for the fittings... just kidding, I did that over a year ago. Then I cut a piece of 3/4" angle to keep the tank from sliding around front to back, I will add little spacers to keep it steady laterally.

I had some scrap hinge left over from my lids and came up with a neat idea. I basically made a removeable hinge out of a short section of the remaining hinge. This allows me to slide off the braces and remove the tank easily if I ever need to. I bet after a while the thing should be rinsed and cleaned out pretty good. I welded the little hinges to the lower brace, which was welded to the floor.
fitment1.JPG
brace1.JPG
brace2.JPG

Here is a close up of the hinge part that is essentially welded to the floor as an anchor.

Then I bent up a few peices of 2" strap to fit the contour of the water tank and welded them to the hinge.

Now I can fold them up or down to remove the tank. The bolt on to the crossbar I added a few months ago... I used a few nutserts and the tank can get cinched down nice and tight without deforming any of its shape. I am really happy with how it came out. I have made the decesion this is as far as I am going to get with the plumbing before Moab. I am striving for paint this weekend! :D
hinge1.JPG
brace3.JPG
brace4.JPG

Ta-Da!

The finished product. It is super snug and strong. I am excited about how it came out. And dang, if grade 8 isn't man jewelry... what is! ;)
mount finished.JPG
mount.JPG

Great! Thanks I am going to pick up a can today and give it a whirl... welcome to mud! :D

Thanks for the welcome. Boy it must have been late last night when I registered, I thought that I used GeoTracker90 as my user name. Now I need to figure out how to get that changed.

Can't wait to see this painted up and all pretty like. You're making some real good progress.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom