Looked at a Outdoors RV 21RD trailer - need some feedback/thoughts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got home from looking at a 2019 Outdoors RV 21RD trailer. It has a few issues I'd like to get some feedback on.

The trailer has dual axles with MORryde CRE 3000 suspension and a KYB shock on each wheel.

Issues:
1. Rear, driver-side tire has significantly uneven tire wear (inner part much more worn than outer). This is the only tire with uneven wear. Am I correct in assuming this is likely a misaligned axle, and that it'll be a few hundred bucks for a trailer axle shop to realign?
2. Suspicious dirt/grease on MORyde CRE 3000 suspension components; might need replacement. The installed version also doesn't have grease zerks, while new ones do. The same parts brand new, including the suspension part and the shackle kit are about $500 CAD. I'm assuming it's not a big deal to replace. Thoughts? Should I consider alternatives?
3. The bushings are shot on all four shock absorbers. All bushings are dried out with a dozen cracks in each. The shocks are KYB brand, but I don't know specific model number. Lots of KYB shocks are on Amazon for sub $100 CAD each.
4. Tires are all original, so 5 years old. Three seem to be in good condition, and the problematic one can be swapped with the matching spare. Am I correct in assuming that since the tires have plenty of tread and no cracks, there's no sense in replacing them at this point?

It seems to me that I can get the axle realigned, replace all suspension + shocks with new components, and be around $1200 CAD or so. Any reason not to do so?

Tagging a few folks for visibility:

@coleAK - for your towing and ORV experience
@TeCKis300 - for your towing and "everything" experience

A few other details:
- Owner seems non-technical and somewhat clueless. Interior drawers, cabinets, etc. are utterly filthy, suggesting poor overall maintenance.
- All exterior seals are original, cracking, and need replacement. I went over the interior very closely with a flashlight, no signs of leaks.
- Wheel bears were repacked last summer by a local tire shop.
- Fridge motherboard was replaced a few years ago. Supposedly no issues since.
- Frame is in excellent condition, with virtually no surface rust. Very clean for a 5 year old, BC trailer.
- Trailer stored under cover, and seems to be winterized properly.

Just got home from looking at a 2019 Outdoors RV 21RD trailer. It has a few issues I'd like to get some feedback on.

The trailer has dual axles with MORryde CRE 3000 suspension and a KYB shock on each wheel.

Issues:
1. Rear, driver-side tire has significantly uneven tire wear (inner part much more worn than outer). This is the only tire with uneven wear. Am I correct in assuming this is likely a misaligned axle, and that it'll be a few hundred bucks for a trailer axle shop to realign?
2. Suspicious dirt/grease on MORyde CRE 3000 suspension components; might need replacement. The installed version also doesn't have grease zerks, while new ones do. The same parts brand new, including the suspension part and the shackle kit are about $500 CAD. I'm assuming it's not a big deal to replace. Thoughts? Should I consider alternatives?
3. The bushings are shot on all four shock absorbers. All bushings are dried out with a dozen cracks in each. The shocks are KYB brand, but I don't know specific model number. Lots of KYB shocks are on Amazon for sub $100 CAD each.
4. Tires are all original, so 5 years old. Three seem to be in good condition, and the problematic one can be swapped with the matching spare. Am I correct in assuming that since the tires have plenty of tread and no cracks, there's no sense in replacing them at this point?

It seems to me that I can get the axle realigned, replace all suspension + shocks with new components, and be around $1200 CAD or so. Any reason not to do so?

Tagging a few folks for visibility:

@coleAK - for your towing and ORV experience
@TeCKis300 - for your towing and "everything" experience

A few other details:
- Owner seems non-technical and somewhat clueless. Interior drawers, cabinets, etc. are utterly filthy, suggesting poor overall maintenance.
- All exterior seals are original, cracking, and need replacement. I went over the interior very closely with a flashlight, no signs of leaks.
- Wheel bears were repacked last summer by a local tire shop.
- Fridge motherboard was replaced a few years ago. Supposedly no issues since.
- Frame is in excellent condition, with virtually no surface rust. Very clean for a 5 year old, BC trailer.
- Trailer stored under cover, and seems to be winterized properly.
Thanks for asking.

Seems odd that the wheel bearings, and suspension has been replaced. With the unevenly worn tire it likely needs an axle. Mine is now 8 years old and has probably 60-90k miles of crappy AK roads. I did leaf springs, axles, bushings, levelers 6 years in.

Whatever the price I’d factor in if you would have to do axles, springs, bushings, levelers,…. In the near future.

My buddy owns a large tire shop and he tells me 7 years max on trailer tires regardless of tread.

I would also go over the floor very closely looking for soft spots and signs of water especially around where the water fill comes in and around the slider if it has one. Also get under it to see if any of the water barrier has been replaced or patched.

Reach out with questions any time.

Thanks for asking.

Seems odd that the wheel bearings, and suspension has been replaced. With the unevenly worn tire it likely needs an axle. Mine is now 8 years old and has probably 60-90k miles of crappy AK roads. I did leaf springs, axles, bushings, levelers 6 years in.

Whatever the price I’d factor in if you would have to do axles, springs, bushings, levelers,…. In the near future.

My buddy owns a large tire shop and he tells me 7 years max on trailer tires regardless of tread.

I would also go over the floor very closely looking for soft spots and signs of water especially around where the water fill comes in and around the slider if it has one. Also get under it to see if any of the water barrier has been replaced or patched.

Reach out with questions any time.
Thanks for the info!

To clarify: the bearings have been repacked (not replaced), and suspension was also not replaced, but I'm considering replacing it as part of after-sale baselining.

Good to know about tires - inline with what I've been reading lately online. Surprising (to me).

No soft spots on the floor, but when I looked at the trailer underneath, I did see a few cuts in the corrugated plastic (water barrier). In one spot there's a bit of a hole, and I think the bolt that held the plastic to the trailer (in that spot) simply tore through the plastic. There was also a bit of a discolouration/stain around that spot, but the owner said he hasn't had any problems/issues. It was kind of central to the trailer both width and length wise. If I go to pick it up I'll have another, closer look at that spot.

Spoke with a local trailer axle & brake shop that did great work on one of my previous trailers.

Sounds like they may be able to straighten the axle, but no guarantees. Might end up needing a replacement - $1200ish for that alone.

Seller is unwilling to budge on the price (they've had it for sale for literally a year), so this one's a pass. Moving on in the search!

Thanks for the feedback in any case!

Just getting back from a trip and playing catch-up. Looks like you've already made a decision. I don't have much further to offer as I'm not familiar with the specifics and axles on that RV. Other than it seems for a 2019, that the suspension and running gear should have some life left?

With trailer tires, I agree with 7 yrs. Reminds me I'm at that cutoff with mine and I should look to replace them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom