My scratch built expedition style trailer build up thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I thought I would post up a few detail shots of how the Yakima Bars are mounted, they they are attached with a few stainless bolts and have a plastic spacer to allow them to work well. The kits were super complete and make a secure mounting plate to attach the rack to. I like the look a lot. :D
Yakima1.JPG
Yakima2.JPG
Yakima3.JPG

Drew, where do we sign up for the production units? or the list for when you sell this one? j/k man it looks great

Drew, excellent build and a labor of love. You really are quit a craftman. Cheers

I thought I would post up a few detail shots of how the Yakima Bars are mounted, they they are attached with a few stainless bolts and have a plastic spacer to allow them to work well. The kits were super complete and make a secure mounting plate to attach the rack to. I like the look a lot. :D

Drew,

are the yakama racks in line with some lid supports? or do the bolts go threw the outer edging some how? I am a bit concerned with flex in the roof if too much weight is added..

Drew,

are the yakama racks in line with some lid supports? or do the bolts go threw the outer edging some how? I am a bit concerned with flex in the roof if too much weight is added..

Yeah, they are well supported by the side rails, they are over the 2" wide part of the structural steel.

Drew <><

Very nice setup.
I like seeing all of the ideas in this section, been going through all the threads this past week.

Myself, I do not have the fab skills, so will probably end up with Adventure Trailers Chaser model in the future to move my roof top tent to.

Very nice setup.
I like seeing all of the ideas in this section, been going through all the threads this past week.

Myself, I do not have the fab skills, so will probably end up with Adventure Trailers Chaser model in the future to move my roof top tent to.

IMO you dont have the fab skills until you develop them. ;)

Practice makes perfect. You can't be afraid to get your hands dirty. The sun will come out tomorrow.

Which ever one gives you a warm and fuzzy. either way your not gonna improve if you don't try.

That is a good word, I have done all this with a HF Chop saw, a 220v welder, and a lot of time... and I didn't know how to weld until I started to learn last summer. I have done this on a budget, and will come in way less than a comercially built unit.

You gotta go for it, hold on, and hope you can be the CM08 Deadline! :bounce:

Drew

That is a good word, I have done all this with a HF Chop saw, a 220v welder, and a lot of time... and I didn't know how to weld until I started to learn last summer. I have done this on a budget, and will come in way less than a comercially built unit.

You gotta go for it, hold on, and hope you can be the CM08 Deadline! :bounce:

Drew

If you dont mind telling....what have you spent on material and parts for this so far? and what's more do you expect to pay?

If you dont mind telling....what have you spent on material and parts for this so far? and what's more do you expect to pay?

I will do a total write up on a website sometime this summer with the final tally... :eek:

Rezarf <><

Well, I got the propane mounts in place today. Last night I was goofing off with a few friends and stuffed my face into a tree branch and had to visit the ER, then today I had a visit with the eye doc... glad to say I am good to go, without a pirate eye patch. But, it put me behind today. :rant:

The propane mounts are the ones I built over the winter and they will simply bolt up without issue, I got them fitted today and I will weld the brace in tomorrow.

Here are a few pics,

I have two 11# tanks that will fit on either side. We run a heater, shower heater, and the stove off these little guys and two tanks will allow us at least 7 days of full useage without a refill... nice!

I built a little "L" bracket to mount to the frame and bolt through the bottom of the tank as an extra bit of security on rough roads.
propane1.JPG
propane2.JPG
propane3.JPG

I had time to mess with the RTT today and threw it up onto the rack to see how it would look. I am a little taller than I'd like to be but all in all it came out great. Here is a pic of my "oh so hot mama-understanding wife" doing her best fake model pose! :D She has been MORE than understanding on this project.

Yeah right, no way am I posting up shots of my cutie to you hounds! :D
RTT on1.JPG
RTT on2.JPG
RTT on3.JPG

Bummer about your face/eye issue. I think this needs a lil'splane'n :D Fervent minds wanna know ;).

Ahh...don't trust your brethren with your wifeski pic huh?

Look'n real good BTW!

Drew: Kestion: How do you plan to swap the hitch tongue with the wheel support/strut? That's gotta be a two man job when you have that thing loaded?

Drew: Kestion: How do you plan to swap the hitch tongue with the wheel support/strut? That's gotta be a two man job when you have that thing loaded?

Yeah, I will use a jackstand when needed. I just wanted to be able to shorten it up to stuff the whole thing into the garage. Also, I am amazingly strong :D :D :D :D ;)

Rezarf <><

I'm changing my mind on the tent man. After moab, it's gotta come down. way too high.

Wow man, this is truly cool! Excellent Work!!! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

The trailer looks great, Drew! Paint, Line-X and fenders, and you are good to go.

M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom