My scratch built expedition style trailer build up thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice job!

Keep this up and we'll soon have a new discussion board - Hard Core Trailer Tech!

I've been watching this thread for quite a while, and I am mighty impressed. In the next couple years I hope to follow in your fine footsteps. I would recommend one thing to make this really legendary. Reading through the forum is fine, but to really see the build up, I nominate a page dedicated to the build process, with some commentary and the such specific to the major steps.

Thanks man, I have thought about it, but don't have the skills. If I have a helper, I would be all over it!

Looking good Drew. I've been watching this build, but haven't posted up yet. I hope to see it out on the trails soon. :clap:

Kevin, good to see you at the meeting bud... you lurker! :D

Nice job!

Keep this up and we'll soon have a new discussion board - Hard Core Trailer Tech!

HA HA! That is funny. We'll see how "hardcore" it is when I get it on the trail... or at least the road for that matter.

Drew

May 1 approacheth.

You best not dawdle.................;)

May 1 approacheth.

You best not dawdle.................;)

You going to be there Dan? I am in the campsite next to Romer, be sure to come say hi and give the trailer a look over in person! :D

Thanks man, I have thought about it, but don't have the skills. If I have a helper, I would be all over it!

We should talk about this. I have some HTML skills, and it wouldn't be too hard to do.

Well, I have had to make an executive decision, I am going to not build the side boxes for now. They are too involved for the space they add and might prevent the trailer from making it to Moab and the rest of the wheeling season. I am going to revert to my original design and make it so I can add them later without trouble.

Now we can get cooking with gas. I should have all the sheet metal knocked out by the end of the week, then it is time to start:

Building the electrical system.
-Battery Charger
-Batteries
-Wiring
-Outlets
-Lights
-Fuse/switch panel

Building the plumbing system:
Installing the shower.
Drain
Lines for sink
Fill line.
Water pump.
Water filter.

Then paint it up and head out :D

SOunds like lots of work, anyone want to come over and help out :D

If I lived a little closer I would come over and give you a hand:)

60* and Sunny + a 1/2 day off and you have the combo to crank out the sheet metal today... :D

More pics later when I get done, I am going to finish both sides today which is HUGE! :bounce:

Today's progress!

Well, I started out by tracing the tubing onto the sides so I knew where I was supposed to drill for the rivets...

Then it was time to measure out and drill the 78 holes PER SIDE! :eek:

After the holes were laid out in the sheet, I lined up the panel on the tubing, checked everything a few times then got after clamping it down and drilling all the holes in the tubing using the sides as a jig. Not too bad, but lots of fitting and grinding, and shimming to get everything just right!
side1.JPG
side2.JPG
side3.JPG

Shim- I used a few pieces of scrap steel to shim the sides off the floor enough to leave a gap so I could go back in and weld the floor to the tubing as well.

Trim- I had a little fitting to do with the drivers side, I used a cut off wheel and a flap disk to get this edge to line up with the tubing. Not too hard but things like that really eat up the time.

Notch- I had to open up the 1" notches so I avoid grinding down all my interior welds. These weren't tricky you just have to stay in the right spot or you risk having a gap in your final sheet metal work.
side4.JPG
side5.JPG
side6.JPG

Now it was time to get messy and apply the Sikaflex... good stuff so far. Great tack/hold and lots of working time, it is a super product.

I cleaned all the mating surfaces with the rapid strip wheel, both the sides and the tubing, this should allow the adhesive to do its job well.

At this point know where your rivets and gun are, have some acetone around to clean up any mess and you just gotta go for it. :D

I leaned the sheet into place then started to fit about every 3rd rivet moving all the way around the side, then I came back and started to pop the rivets. After the sheet was in place by itself I began to insert all the other bazillion rivets and make quick work of them. As I type my back is sore from leaning over and I now have super human forearm strength from all the pop rivet action today! :D

FWIW, I ran about a 3/16" bead then spread it around with a disposable puddy knife before sticking the sheet to it.
prep1.JPG
prep2.JPG
prep3.JPG

Sorry for the blurry pic, but it was the only one I took of the whole thing once the adhesive was on... no time to get artistic with the shot :hill:

And here is a shot of the panel in place after popping all 78 rivets by hand! :doh:

I cleaned all the seams with a bit of acetone and a few clean paper towels and I think it is ready for the next step, welding on the front panel and the floor.
prep4.JPG
rivets1.JPG

Awesome job!

Been looking at this for sometime now and want to say that this is very
well built trailer with alot of thought in it!!

I will try to get some pics of trailer that my son built in High School ag shop.
You can be very proud of this project:cool:

Jerry

I haven't been over here to see the progress since page 4.
OMG! :clap:
This is almost as good as watching Blog Cabin on the DIY Channel.
If you just had a couple of hot chicks running around getting some high angle shots while they work.
b68363d9-1021-4a78-bf1e-e75a7f747035.jpg

I have two questions.

Are you still married? (my wife would have left me by now)

Have you named your trailer yet?

If no I have a suggestion: La Otra Mujer
That's from the movie The Astronaut Farmer. I thought it was funny.

If you don't use that name for your's I'll probably use it for mine.

Anyway awesome job. I can't wait to see the drawers you are planning.

I have two questions.

Are you still married? (my wife would have left me by now)

Have you named your trailer yet?

Anyway awesome job. I can't wait to see the drawers you are planning.

Answer 1: YES! My wife is the greatest woman on earth, hands down!

Answer 2: No name as of yet. Maybe some day.

The drawers will probably be an addition after moab at this point, thanks!

Drew

Drew, I am impressed. Looks like your ready for a field/rock test, it will give you a chance to tweak anything before its finished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom