My H55F/Toybox install thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It's coming down to the wire for Rubithon, so I figured if I started this thread I would push harder to get it done. The h55f/toybox/split case is fully assembled. I need to split it apart one more time to apply some grey silicone between the h55f and toybox.

Yesterday I modified the factory transmission cross member to clearance the front drive shaft.

I bent up some 1/4" x 5" flat plate steel for the new cross member piece.

IMG_4282.jpg

I ran a grinder along the cut lines and then bent the sheet in a vice to keep it one piece. It is a lot simpler than tacking three individual pieces together and keeping them square.

IMG_4297.jpg

First side ground out and ready.

IMG_4301.jpg

both sides mocked up.

IMG_4304.jpg

Internal seems welded up.

IMG_4310.jpg

Gussets on the outside .

IMG_4315.jpg

Welded up the entire thing. Let it cool. Then cut out the factory piece of the cross member. The finished product.

IMG_4323.jpg

Dang Dylan.

I'm drooling. Nice Fab work :beer:

:eek: I love it. Do you have a thread of the issues of putting it together?

Also could you measure the distance between the shifters?

Rock on bro,

clint

Ok twin sticks are 85% done. I still need to crawl underneath and check out how the tunnel slopes so I can figure out the angle for the actual shift lever. It may not look like much, but this took a really long time and ate most of the day.

Here they are mocked up on the bench.

IMG_4343.jpg

I didn't like the angle of the right hand linkage so I ended up cutting it up and reseting it closer to the inside piece.

IMG_4346.jpg

I pulled off the hi/lo lever and ground a flat spot 90 degrees from the factory flat spot to move the lever. Now it operates in the forward-backward direction as opposed to the side to side factory movement. If you do this make sure when you pull the lever of, that you clamp a vice grip onto the shaft, otherwise that shift rail can FALL INTO THE SPLIT CASE and you have to pull the case apart.

IMG_4353.jpg

Here are few shots of the linkage mocked up. The threaded rod will get jam nuts up against the heim joints and the brackets will get painted.

IMG_4356.jpg

IMG_4361.jpg

:eek: I love it. Do you have a thread of the issues of putting it together?

Also could you measure the distance between the shifters?

Rock on bro,

clint

No, I didn't start a thread on the assembly because I ended up not doing that part of it myself. I attempted to do it, but there were simply to many variables to get 100% correct. I can say that Marlin is aware of the entire assembly process now, because he did this one. I'll save the details for Marlin to disclose, he took lots of pictures and I *think* plans on making some instructions. PM if you have any specific questions.

I'll grab the shifter measurement tomorrow after work, when I'm back in the shop. Thanks for comments guys. Lemme know if anything looks funky.

Dylan

Daaaaamn. Good work. So is it in yet?:grinpimp:

keep it coming. Looking forward to how it all goes.

See you next week.

edit: will you do my cross-member?

Ya I just picked it up and walked it over to my 60 and threw it in:flipoff2:

I need to get it in by Tuesday or so, to measure for drive shafts and maybe take it for a quick spin on the weekend.

I still need to:

-complete twin sticks
-cut a hole for the toybox shifter
-install it
-find a boot for the toybox shifter
-find someone that has a twin stick boot in stock
-drive shafts
-clearance the area around the transfer case at the back of the tunnel

. . .thats enough to think about:eek:

Dylan

Bad ass big D!
Youve done a beautiful job man!

Chicago

what run you on? iam on the wagon run see you on the trail reguard less
great work

Awesome work Dylan. I like how your crossmember turned out. Try Marlin on the toybox shift boot.

That is exactly the set up I plan on running in my rig some day. Beautiful work, and I can't wait to see it all buttoned up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom