My FJ62 was stolen in Berkeley, CA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The unthinkable has happened and my 1989 FJ62 was stolen at some point this week in Berkeley,CA. I don’t even know what to do right now, I've filed a police report and figured it couldn’t hurt to post here if anyone sees anything. License plate is 8VCT047 it’s metallic beige/gold with small pinstripes down the sides under the windows. Has a dealership decal on the driver side tailgate that reads Covington, Tennessee. A dent on the rear bumper drivers side. Photos attached. Please keep an eye out for it and spread the word if you’re in the Bay Area and/or California. Text 925 922 2114 for any info!

2961DA85-2A1B-44AA-A455-928B24EB787C.jpeg

8616E64F-9F51-4F36-BB92-74CECAF07633.jpeg

088902B5-4481-4F50-8207-C6CE321C04D7.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s terrible. I’m not familiar with Berkeley PD, but if you call and ask to speak to the “Auto Theft “ Detectives, they may give you some leads as to vehicle theft trends in their jurisdiction for that type of vehicle, I.e., taken to a chop- shop, stolen then abandoned, usually recovered in particular area or city (I.e.,Oakland)or shipped out of the country….. etc….hopefully it was just taken for a joy ride. Unfortunately, most detectives only work M-F. Hope you recover it soon… nice looking Fj62. Good luck.

Terrible to hear. Good luck with the recovery!

I thought I recognized the truck, unfortunately from the past.

The truck was purchased new by a former neighbor, I looked at buying it a couple of times, I hope it is back in your hands soon.

Here is a picture from July 20’.

808291FD-EAFD-4103-9C39-6D83404E9F27.jpeg
There are a few successful recovery stories on Mud, seems most trucks were spotted by owners, friends, Etc. in similar environments. Be safe!

I'm in walnut creek and work in Berkeley. These days I'm not doing much commuting, but I will be coming to Berkeley. I'll be keeping an eye out.

s***. As a Berkeley native this hurts.
Unfortunately, stolen vehicles end up anywhere from West Oakland to Richmond easily.
I sent a picture to my buddy who works for East Bay Tow to keep an eye out.
Good luck with Recovery.

A couple more photos

Sorry to hear this. I know of a number of Bay Area LC owners going back many years who have had their 60/62s stolen - all got them back within a week or so. I hope that is the case for you. These things are easy to steal, but hard to sell or part out, and expensive to keep gassed up. So (at least in my experience) they are generally stolen by tweakers with a little knowledge of Toyota ignitions, used for a couple days to commit other crimes, and then dumped. Hard to believe, but this was already happening in the mid 90s when these things were barely 10 years old.

If you aren't doing this already (and you're up for it), I would start your search along the northern edge of the Berkeley flats - between Gilman St and the Albany border, and then work your way down along the western edge of town, all the way south into Emeryville and then West Oakland. There is all kinds of weird s*** going on in that whole corridor these days and dumped cars are part of it. Richmond will be a possibility too.

My advice: don't go alone, and don't get into anything you can't get out of. BPD will likely respond quickly if you get eyes on the vehicle (and it's still in Berkeley). OPD will likely not be able to. If you find the thing, and can safely get in it and get it somewhere safer, do it. Then report it and sit tight. And consider getting a club. It is not a perfect anti-theft device but it makes stealing one of these too much of a pain for most tweakers.

Thank you all for your well wishes and advice! Still waiting to hear back from BPD, unfortunately I live in LA and that was my primary car, so it’s hard for me to really dig in and hunt for it. I’ve got a lot of friends up there with their eyes peeled and I’m hoping for the best. Worst case, I can get a decent settlement from AAA and hopefully afford another comparable FJ. I’ve had only a taste of cruiser life and I truly could never turn back now.

Does anyone have any or know anyone with experience with AAA settlements for these trucks? They said they base their valuation off the average market value but the values can vary widely so I’m not sure what to expect.

I'm working down in Bakersfield and am up and down HWY 99. I will keep my eyes posted if it has gone south. Very sorry and best of luck.

Great news! SFPD recovered my truck in San Francisco and it’s barely got any damage. Nothing missing that I know of and only a scratch under the driver side headlight (pictured below). For some reason they ripped a bunch of fuses out, but after replacing those I drove right off the lot without a problem. Feels like a miracle!

Does anyone have any recommendation for anti theft systems/devices? I’ll be getting a steering wheel club, but also considering some sort of tracking system and/or an alarm system. I’m tentative to put in an aftermarket alarm on such an old car with and old electrical system. Let me know what works for you!

Thank you all for your well wishes, advice, and keeping an eye out. I feel so lucky to get the cruiser back and in such good condition!

95ABA333-E9F2-446F-AA28-69F8DF09495C.jpeg

whatever you do for alarm, tracking, or disabling, do it right. I've seen countless poorly installed alarm systems cause lots of electrical gremlins.
I'm a fan of disabling via kill switch and/or part removal.

Great news! SFPD recovered my truck in San Francisco and it’s barely got any damage. Nothing missing that I know of and only a scratch under the driver side headlight (pictured below). For some reason they ripped a bunch of fuses out, but after replacing those I drove right off the lot without a problem. Feels like a miracle!

Does anyone have any recommendation for anti theft systems/devices? I’ll be getting a steering wheel club, but also considering some sort of tracking system and/or an alarm system. I’m tentative to put in an aftermarket alarm on such an old car with and old electrical system. Let me know what works for you!

Thank you all for your well wishes, advice, and keeping an eye out. I feel so lucky to get the cruiser back and in such good condition!

View attachment 2837967
If Whittier Ca. is within your range, i know a guy who can install an alarm system, and can hooked it up to your power door locks with remote/fob. He has installed one on my 89 FJ62. PM if interested.

That's fantastic news. Here's an idea that is super cheap and quick. Let me know if you think it would have helped in your case.

There are also lots of discussion regarding anti-theft devices like Kill Switches. I imagine you aren't too excited about leaving it vulnerable again just so you can go on a scavenger hunt so avoiding the theft in the first place is probably the best option. I personally can't stand having to store and manipulate a club, but that is probably one of the best deterrents around since it has strong visibility and does the job.

My previous owner installed a system like the one described by @MTB Land Cruise above. It makes me feel pretty secure and will probably deter most thieves. It is also easy to lock the truck as you walk away so in that sense it is more secure.

Glad you got it back!

Flaming River Big Switch 1044 with padlock. $74 @ Amazon.

Battery disconnect.

FBBDE831-2C9A-4300-8E56-B2C94B172626.png

1B7CB648-31AE-4D26-9709-C50C83C89686.png

5FB2DE66-CCAF-4E26-9F1A-07AB1D919F2B.png

Just like my fire engine. Battery switch. Concealment is the key. Might have to install myself. Thanks!

wire in a switch in your fuel pump ground wire. Then hide it somewhere in the truck. You can do the same for your ignition switch wire too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom