My first rig! 2000 LX470 for $3,500, Did i win? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought my first rig! A gold 2000 LX 470. PO owned it for 14 years in Dallas/Ft. Worth. He never took it off road and sold it to me for $3,500. Came with 334k miles and a book of maintenance records totaling $10,000 in parts and $8,000 in labor. NO RUST. Body is clean with a little scratch on the bumper. * NO Front driver shaft, diff or and axle shafts .* throwing P0430 Did I get suckered or is this a good deal?

Big Ticket RepairsMil
Timing belt
120,213​
PWR Steering pump
268,692​
Timing belt
268,692​
Transfer Case
316,655​
Drive Shaft U joint
328,260​
Fuel Pump
333,670​

Last edited:
good buy.
what symptoms are you getting on the front diff?

Thanks for the affirmation. To be honest I just drove it 2 hours to get home. I haven't even tried to look at it or drive with it engaged.

good deal after a couple thousand to bring up to speed and will likely see it provide enjoyment until its end of life post 500k

If I remember correctly, the P0430 code is for driver side O2 sensor. Just throw a gallon of laquer thinner into a half tank of gas and drive at rpms around 2500. I had p0420 (pass. Side) and did the same thing and code is gone. See Scotty Kilmers cat clean with laquer thinner youtube video.

Do the heater Ts asap if not been done.

Enjoy the truck. I have a LC 2000.

The A/C along with the control buttons on the center dash are a little moody : / And i am seeing that the low pressure P/S return hose is leaking a little bit. Maybe clamped too hard? records show it was replaced not too long ago by PO.

I haven't even tried to look at it or drive with it engaged.

it is always engaged. you just have a choice of hi or low in the transfer case

is there a front driveshaft?

If I remember correctly, the P0430 code is for driver side O2 sensor. Just throw a gallon of laquer thinner into a half tank of gas and drive at rpms around 2500. I had p0420 (pass. Side) and did the same thing and code is gone. See Scotty Kilmers cat clean with laquer thinner youtube video.

Do the heater Ts asap if not been done.

Enjoy the truck. I have a LC 2000.
I saw that video but I have been too nervous to try lacquer thinner with the Lexus. I am coming from a 93 jeep XJ. Feels like the upgrade of the century already.

Cats dont go bad as those are made with metal catalysts. Burning oil and other stuff can coat a thin layer covering the active surface of the cat. See the comments on that video. Bought the thinner from Home depot. Soon after adding the thinner, pour some gas to flush down the thinner as thinner can weaken the rubber hoses between the gas cap and tank. I did a 500 mile trip after that and no more check engine light!

If you plan to install a new cat, I am willing to buy your old OEM cat because my PO installed and aftermarket cat and I dont like that.

Last edited:
Completely stripped. no shaft, diff or CVs. Looks like I will be 2wd for a while
Very interesting. Just wondering if it should trigger the CEL? And being a full time 4WD vehicle, I even don't think the car will move at all when the front portion of drive-train has been removed, unless the CDL is engaged all the time.

Dude, that sounds like a conscious scheme to rip you off.

Does the CDL button do anything?

If not then CDL was likely engaged then the relay box & dash light disconnected. Box is behind your glove compartment on the right. Take off the door (two screws on bottom hinges) and look for a disconnected or dangling plug.

Upside: Better MPG?

Last edited:
Completely stripped. no shaft, diff or CVs. Looks like I will be 2wd for a while
If you have no CVs, you pretty much have nothing that is going to keep water out of your wheel bearings. If it's been that way for a while, add those to the list, as well as drive flanges.

Very interesting. Just wondering if it should trigger the CEL? And being a full time 4WD vehicle, I even don't think the car will move at all when the front portion of drive-train has been removed, unless the CDL is engaged all the time.
CDL is engaged.

Wow. Not a good deal lol.

Looks like a ton of grease thrown about...probably blew a CV or two and just yanked it all.

Flange on that TC is pretty clean too. Seems very recent. If they didnt bother to tell you this, that is just plain shady

I could not believe what I just saw! That is fawking impressive that bearing held up for who knows how long. What happened to the drive train? Price is good but it could cost you a few grand just to get it back to 4WD. BTW you did not win on this deal IMO.

Well, that's one way to convert it to 2wd. I wonder how the diff is sealed or if it's open on both sides too. For the price you're still fine. If you don't need 4wd, drive it as is. If you do, then you're maybe a couple grand into getting it back.

I also wouldn't put paint thinner in a modern vehicle. Just deal with the sensor. You won't get a CEL for no front DS, it's not an engine fault.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom