Builds My first FZJ80 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finally, after lurking on here for about a year and a half, I am proud to say I will be picking up my 97 80 series most likely this week! It is triple locked, leather interior.
I have wanted an 80 series ever since i rode in a friends 80 on a local trail here in Tucson. I was blown away by the capability and handling, that I wanted one for myself.
Let's get down to the details!

Specs:
-3" King Springs lift with Ultima shocks
-34" BFG Km2 Mud Terrains on TRD ORP wheels
-Wheel spacers to widen stance and stability
-Double din bluetooth radio

Replaced/Fixed:
-Vacuum lines replaced
-Front axle rebuilt with new birfields
-Slotted and drilled Power Stop rotors with ceramic pads
-A/C system complete evacuation, leak tested and refilled
-VSS on transmission

It needs:
-Rear diff fluid replace (being done this week)
-Speedometer replaced (on the way)
-Dust cap for drivers side front
-Plastic "cap" on the seat, as it will not go forward or backwards- motor is fine however.
-Windshield wiper nozzle on hood.
-Right rear fender flare re attached (being done this week)

My immediate plans for it:
-Install my GMRS radio
-Detail and buff out scratches.
-Re locate LED pods

My plans for this fall/winter
-Front bumper (not chosen brand yet)
-4x4 Labs rear bumper
-Sliders either from Slee or 4x4 Labs
-Bigger tires and different wheels

Long term plans also include removing seats and a good carpet cleaning. Also thinking about having the seats re-done. And i'm sure other stuff!

And now for the photos! Will take some more once I get it in my possession!
CB3uyM.jpg

9QvN49.jpg

qbX7M7.jpg

Build plans as of June 13th, 2022:
-Replace motor.
-Transmission flush/clean
-Possible transfer case upgrades with crawling gears.
-Interior refresh along with seats and carpeting.
-body work on the roof, fix or delete roof rack holes.
-Desert tan bedliner (this is a trail rig, it will get scratched up)
-Possible tire change to something different.
-frame refresh, new paint.

More to come...

Last edited:
Welcome to mud. :flipoff2:
Wealth of knowledge on here. How many miles you working with? Looks like you also have a 4Runner?

Welcome to mud. :flipoff2:
Wealth of knowledge on here. How many miles you working with? Looks like you also have a 4Runner?
Thanks! I'm loving this site, i have spent hours at a time reading about other peoples builds.
It's got around 265k on it. I just sold the 4Runner to get this beast, what an upgrade this is!

Welcome!!! You will love this rig. Sooooo capable.

Wow welcome, looks great, that's a ride.

Congrats on the new ride. And welcome to the group. I have learned so much about my 80 working on it and from reading on here too.

Welcome mate!
One thing your 80 won't do for you is breaking your neck accelerating 0-60.
Will teach you patience on the road
Will certainly break your wallet
Will definitively break your heart if you wreck her.
But you'll have one of the most satisfying relationship known to man
Cheers!

It's a different ride from my 4Runner thats for sure. My 80 rides nice and solid. Still getting used to the straight 6 in this, compared to the v8 the 4Runner had.
Started putting in the GMRS radio
20190721_134857.jpg

It's a different ride from my 4Runner thats for sure. My 80 rides nice and solid. Still getting used to the straight 6 in this, compared to the v8 the 4Runner had.
Started putting in the GMRS radioView attachment 2035744
Looks like a knee basher to me.

Check check on the GMRS. Seems an interesting choice. You still need a license but it isn't as capable as a two or three band mobile. We've always used CB radios for this type of communications but less and less people are putting them in their rigs these days. Thanks for the explanation Cheers!

Check check on the GMRS. Seems an interesting choice. You still need a license but it isn't as capable as a two or three band mobile. We've always used CB radios for this type of communications but less and less people are putting them in their rigs these days. Thanks for the explanation Cheers!

Mine is a little 5 watt, its alright for trail runs except the magnetic antenna likes to get knocked off. CB's are still used around these parts also, i was actually thinking of one so i can have a better antenna that i mount to the rear bumper, but we'll see. I've only used it for one trail run so far.

Like the title of your thread. There will be more cruisers in your life for sure.:).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom