Builds My first FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The weather was unusually warm this weekend so I continued “de-chroming” Chloe. The PO had a re-spray done in the original color and clear coat. Based on the up close quality of the re-spray, I’m guessing the painter was paid a 12-pack for the job up front and possibly drank half of it before starting.

Since the all black non-US spec outer window felts are a different shape than the original chrome parts, I had to get creative to hide old paint because I didn’t want to go through the entire process for properly blending the silver and then clear coating all the panels. I’ll tackle that one day when she takes a rest for a full on body work and paint job.

Today’s goal was to pull the last of the chrome, get all the rusty rock chips fixed, and have her look half-way decent for daily driving for the next year or so. I was actually impressed by the finish I was able to get with rattle can paint and clear coat.

B34BA950-F921-4D77-9CC8-B7C8B2DCA498.jpeg

328BB2EA-160A-4375-86B6-02C61344BE06.jpeg

10550219-0548-4156-9657-1F75D9B216E5.jpeg

Now I just gotta put her back together....by tomorrow morning 😬

5 MINUTE FIX...

I had the dash apart and decided to go the extra mile. I replaced the material that goes on the gauge bezel to fill the gap between it and the steering column. If you even want to be this level of nerd, here’s what I did.

An $0.89 sheet of craft foam and a razor blade is all you need.
1F394F2F-3932-4BA3-B0BF-435597BD7144.jpeg

Roughly cut to shape and press it against the little attachment posts on the back of the bezel.
FC2957BA-D5F4-4A34-BC3B-C4B1FD1EDFC3.jpeg

Cut small “x’s” at the marked spots, slip over the posts, trim to size, done. I ended up trimming just a little bit more on the final install.
19852DD7-FD04-407B-97ED-5F962CD37403.jpeg

Great build!

Do you remember how you blacked out the sill plates? Paint or powder coat? Has it held up?

Thanks

Great build!

Do you remember how you blacked out the sill plates? Paint or powder coat? Has it held up?

Thanks
Thanks! So far, the only powder coated parts are the rock sliders, so the answer is paint. Everything is holding up well so far. I’d love to powder coat what I can, but I refuse to pay the overinflated prices I see locally. I could do it myself for a fraction of the price if I had a large enough oven 😒...one day hopefully!

Not much in the way of building going on lately. I’ve been more focused on helping my wife out with the 80-series she unceremoniously took from me. Chloe’s been doing really good, getting driven daily and generally just being enjoyed by everybody.

We recently had the kid’s spring break here and we made a semi-last minute decision to take off on a week long camping road trip. We did a 1,300 mile loop throughout western NC, into KY, down through TN, and the back home. We hit the Great Smokey Mountains National Park, Mammoth Cave National Park, and Roan Mountain State Park. Along the way I got to visit an old Army buddy and spend some time with him and his family.

Once again, Chloe endured and got us home. She was nice enough to wait 24 hours after we got back before the rear u-joint gave up and the alternator crapped out 😆! Luckily I had some spare u-joints stashed away and the alternator from a parts truck I had last year. She was back up and running after a few minutes of attention

6E566513-D3AC-41C6-AD09-0459203AD461.jpeg

437CD92A-F459-4EA8-BE5E-520D2E7C9EC6.jpeg

6FAC79AC-AF85-4DE4-A812-D6E85B30D474.jpeg

43CA0A31-B80A-4006-ADC3-ABB261C2D5AD.jpeg

BA032FC4-E761-4981-B9CA-AF181A5D6E56.jpeg

Just read the whole thread. Great work and nice looking 60! Very cool that you went from limited mechanical experience to removing the interior and welding in patches in the first month of ownership. Sometimes you just have to dive into things and figure it out as you go.

Just read the whole thread. Great work and nice looking 60! Very cool that you went from limited mechanical experience to removing the interior and welding in patches in the first month of ownership. Sometimes you just have to dive into things and figure it out as you go.
Thanks...it’s been an overall fun learning experience. Since I’ve had my hands on literally everything except the clutch and the pistons, I’ve gained enough understanding to go from freaking out and imagining worst case scenarios when something acts up...to “eh, no oil gushing and she’s still running; I’ll get her home and take a look”. It’s a pretty good feeling to be able to be so self sufficient with my truck.

Now I just need to learn how to read the electrical diagrams! What I see in the FSM vs. what I see in real life doesn’t make sense yet.

The weather was unusually warm this weekend so I continued “de-chroming” Chloe. The PO had a re-spray done in the original color and clear coat. Based on the up close quality of the re-spray, I’m guessing the painter was paid a 12-pack for the job up front and possibly drank half of it before starting.

Since the all black non-US spec outer window felts are a different shape than the original chrome parts, I had to get creative to hide old paint because I didn’t want to go through the entire process for properly blending the silver and then clear coating all the panels. I’ll tackle that one day when she takes a rest for a full on body work and paint job.

Today’s goal was to pull the last of the chrome, get all the rusty rock chips fixed, and have her look half-way decent for daily driving for the next year or so. I was actually impressed by the finish I was able to get with rattle can paint and clear coat.

View attachment 2503683
View attachment 2503684
View attachment 2503685

Now I just gotta put her back together....by tomorrow morning 😬
If only the Deloreon was a Landcruiser... 😆
I feel like I’m back in 1985
great work man!

Install was pretty straightforward. Only parts were 1) says to "replace the 12 bolts on the inside of the frame rail holding the hard-lines with the bolts and spacers provided"...there are more than 12. No biggie, just start with the 2 up front where the frame bends up towards the PS front wheel and work back 12 bolts. 2) I had to cut a small section (about 1.5"X3") of the DS of my skid plate so the U-bolt could get in the right position. The instructions tell you this specifically for FJ62s and possibly later FJ60s.

If you don't have help, grab 2 jack stands to hold it while you slide under to bolt it up. Took me about an hour, but that included throwing the ball for the dog and talking to the neighbor.
@FJ Noob great build thread. I have also been considering the White-Knuckle Sliders, did you go with the 20 or 10 degree for yours. My thinking is to go with the 10 as the slightly lower heigh will make them more useful as rear steps.

@FJ Noob great build thread. I have also been considering the White-Knuckle Sliders, did you go with the 20 or 10 degree for yours. My thinking is to go with the 10 as the slightly lower heigh will make them more useful as rear steps.

Thanks…I went with the 10 degree for the same reason. I’m 6ft tall and can just barely get right into the truck comfortably without a step. Everyone else in my family….they appreciate the step!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom