My camping box build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

I got a lot of ideas off of here, so I thought I'd share my box build to pass on some more ideas.

I wanted something that was quick to build, functional, and folded out into a bed.

Here's what I came up with:

I used scrap 3/4" ply

Top and bottom: 41 1/4 x 41 1/4
Sides and middle: 41 1/4 x 7
Back: 41 1/4 x 8 3/4

2 x Sterilite 60Qt clearview boxes - $14 a piece?
1 x HF 17" toolbox - $16
2 x HF small D rings - .99
6 x HF flush D rings - $18
2 x rolls of cheap Home Depot carpet - $12 a piece

Biscuit joiner, clamps, glue, 3" hole drill, screws, pneumatic stapler

Jointed up and drying
20d8e42c.jpg

Covering the back piece. Start with the one no one will see.
b1501c1d.jpg

Drilling holes in box
205b9362.jpg

I just rolled the edges, and stapled. I needed all of the 7" between top and bottom.
26ba7da5.jpg

I used a little paneling adhesive on the top, lots of staples on the side edges and bottom. Cutting the carpet out of the D ring holes.
31c7fcf5.jpg

Some of the crap that goes in here. 2 x 60Qt boxes slide in VERY nicely with room to spare.
5dfb7a20.jpg

Kept a lip on the back to hold the bed boards.
32e3482e.jpg

How it all fits so far.
075196ca.jpg

And with the bed boards in. They stack nicely under that cargo net.
38e7a3fc.jpg

I still want to build side panels for it, and tweak it a bit here and there, but this is what we've got so far!

JC

Nice touch with the flush D rings... Gonna have to remember that.

what brand is that seat cover. looks like the top and bottom covers are individual pieces of material so you can still fold the seat up?

How are you securing that box to the bed? You'll need to do that. Ask me how I know...

This is how I'll stow the bed pieces when I'm actually out...

aba98af8.jpg

@jfnall - They are the SOR Tuff Duck seat covers. Not a huge fan of SOR, but these are really nice seat covers. Straight on the credit card...screw it. They are separate pieces.

@tofu - man, I hated to see that carnage. That was going to be my next question.

It seems regardless of how I secure it, I'm going to be drilling through the body.

I could go through the rear wheel-well, or drop the spare and up through the floor.

What has worked best for people so far?

JC

Last edited:
Floor has been easiest.. I steal the FJ62 rear cargo hook holes. Don't put very heavy stuff in the Sterilites, eventually they'll crack. Though pretty spendy, you could get most of that stuff in your fendors with wagongear panels. But then what would you store in the box?? ;)

I like my Tuff Duck covers too. Some day I'll get comfy seats...

Good tips. I do have the side panels stuffed with oil, anti-freeze, brake-fluid, etc..still not totally full on both sides. Not as easy to get to as the wagongear panels, but it's long-term storage (hopefully) and it's not THAT bad to get to.

I keep telling myself, "Clutch next, clutch next..."

I wound up bolting it through the floor, and as long as the back seat it up, it will probably be OK in a roll, but I think it's a bit of a false sense of security.

IMAG0211.jpg

T nuts on the top with the bolt cut flush after tightening.

IMAG0208.jpg

I finally built the side panels for the box.

IMAG0223.jpg

IMAG0224.jpg

They came out good enough, and make a nice full level above a bunch of crap.

IMAG0225.jpg

With this set-up a double aero-bed fits PERFECTLY in there, and it is a dream to camp in.

JC

Yeah, that was the plan, but I got lazy and went with the sterilite for now.

On the list!

JC

I like it so much that I think I think I'm gonna have to copy you. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom