My 99 LC Build “Big Booty Judy” (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Several months ago I decided to add a Landcruiser to the stable. I have always been a Jeep guy and love my 2006 LJ Rubicon, but have heard nothing but good things about the 100 series Landcruisers. After a month or so of searching I finally found what I was looking for. I found a 1999, 1 owner, 91,000 miles, no rust and super clean. After convincing the wife we made the 7.5 hour round trip from Atlanta to Knoxville and brought it home.

B3B99407-18CE-4048-9EE3-49906FC7A88C.png

0544A3D8-5BCE-4789-A71C-B8841B426870.png

D3A78735-C684-4DE2-992E-07E2DBB99F89.png

2D063126-7379-4239-B0F1-A804CDE0C1C4.png

4B2831EB-6E7A-437A-9ADE-642F5686D3AD.png

There were a few issues with the paint that I had my body shop fix. I had the rear bumper repainted and ordered some new emblems and had them painted black, I just could not get used to gold. I decided to leave the V8 emblem off, really starting to like the black. Also removed the factory mud flaps and replaced them with a pair of @LandCruiserPhil mudflap delete plates. Once my body guy was finished I really wanted to protect the paint on the cruiser, I decided to have a full paint cleaning and correction done and a 5 year ceramic coating added.

DE86C2EC-FA09-42DA-B914-1E0052966942.jpeg

3E5C4475-A334-4771-B825-90F4F49BE6BA.jpeg

8D5A923C-5D60-4906-9737-DCA844120083.jpeg

Very nice find! What all are your plans for it? What part of GA are you in? I am north of Atlanta and there are plenty of us 100 series guys around here.

@JT4runner I live in Cumming and work in the Suwanee/Johns Creek area. The wife and I belong to some Jeep groups but I would enjoy meeting some 100 series enthusiasts as well.

As far as plans for my build, my first stop will be ACC Garage in Atlanta for the 90k Timing belt service and complete once over. I am scheduled for that next week. Once all the maintenance is taken care of, I have ordered an Icon Long Travel Stage 3.5 Intermediate kit With Diff drop and Dobinson torsion bars, a set of Slee 1.5” spacers so I can run my Tundra take offs I picked up along with some 275-70-18 BFG KO2’s. I have also ordered a set of Rock Rails from Land Cruiser Products. I plan on doing a front and rear bumper at some point as well.

These are the tundra take offs I picked up, also found the BFG’s used locally. $225 for the 5 wheels and $600 for the tires, 4 of the BFG’s had around 10k on them, the spare was brand new. Not sure if the spare will fit in the stock location. All the more reason for a rear bumper and tire carrier.

D25697DB-E3D2-47F5-A6A2-7CDF232920CF.jpeg

42281E7D-FBFA-4542-85A9-88A6995E21B4.jpeg

For what its worth the spare will fit. And those wheels will fit without spacers and you will have no rub, you just can't pop the center caps on the front unless you cut a hole in the cap.

1.5" is pretty wide for a spacer on the 100 so that may inadvertently cause a tiny bit of rubbing on 33s. Though if you bought from slee its probably the 1.25" spidertrax which I have. Shouldn't have any issues there.

Congrats on the purchase, excited to see your take on the 100, being a jeep guy!

For what its worth the spare will fit. And those wheels will fit without spacers and you will have no rub, you just can't pop the center caps on the front unless you cut a hole in the cap.

1.5" is pretty wide for a spacer on the 100 so that may inadvertently cause a tiny bit of rubbing on 33s. Though if you bought from slee its probably the 1.25" spidertrax which I have. Shouldn't have any issues there.

Congrats on the purchase, excited to see your take on the 100, being a jeep guy!

Thanks, and you are correct on the spacers, I ordered them from SLEE and they are in fact the 1.25” ones. I do like the center caps with these wheels so I will most likely keep the spacers so I don’t have to modify the center caps.

As far as the spare goes do most people do the “extra clearance” mod? The Hundy will be a pavement pounder and occasional weekend dirt road/ light trail rig so I’m not sure that clearance will be that much of an issue for me for now.

We love our Jeeps but I wanted something that is a better daily driver for me but also still has the capability to hit a trail. I grew up in a small town in North Ga and the mountains have always been my stomping ground. We do our share of hiking, fly fishing, and camping so I waned something that would carry all our Gear and our Aussie “Maverick” comfortably.

So far I am super impressed with the quality of the LC, honestly it rides and drives better than many new cars I have been in over the past few years!

Thanks, and you are correct on the spacers, I ordered them from SLEE and they are in fact the 1.25” ones. I do like the center caps with these wheels so I will most likely keep the spacers so I don’t have to modify the center caps.

As far as the spare goes do most people do the “extra clearance” mod? The Hundy will be a pavement pounder and occasional weekend dirt road/ light trail rig so I’m not sure that clearance will be that much of an issue for me for now.

We love our Jeeps but I wanted something that is a better daily driver for me but also still has the capability to hit a trail. I grew up in a small town in North Ga and the mountains have always been my stomping ground. We do our share of hiking, fly fishing, and camping so I waned something that would carry all our Gear and our Aussie “Maverick” comfortably.

So far I am super impressed with the quality of the LC, honestly it rides and drives better than many new cars I have been in over the past few years!

Very cool. I ditched my spare and chipped off the resonator and got a swingout rear. To each his own! I prefer it this way.

Picked up “Loretta” from @ACC Toyota on Friday. Had them do the 90k Timing service, brass T’s, all fluids check or changed, and basically go over the truck from front to back and address any issues. I had heard great things about this shop and was super impressed when I met Bryan. I can not begin to tell you how impressed I am with this shop and their work. Their level of knowledge and expertise on these trucks is second to none. This will definitely be my go to shop for maintenance/repairs.

Truck definitely has a little more pep with a clean throttle body and fresh plugs. Wife and I made a 460 mile road trip this weekend up to South Carolina and back and averaged 13.8 mpg which i think is darn good considering. Truck did great cruising the interstate at 80/85 MPH, I was super impressed with how great it rides.

Got the chance this evening to knock out a couple projects, I replaced the shocks on the rear hatch and the hood with some Amazon replacements and they work great. Also replaced the center console trim piece. I removed the fake wood trim on the window switches but wanted to freshen up the interior with a new OEM centerpiece. Now I just need to remove or replace the trim around the head unit and AC controls and all the fake wood will be gone.

3C6482A2-180B-46D9-8444-0F25A1D078BF.jpeg

78D7CEBE-F977-43E3-9D23-BB02776B2E5F.jpeg

Those are the best tundra wheels. If I wasn’t committed to 16” those would be my go to. Nice looking wheels. ****ing good price too!

Took advantage of a nice morning and updated the rear windshield wiper and arm today. Really like the new look!

16745EAD-B17E-4BC4-9E05-C63DCEA052B6.jpeg

E413965C-81FD-4F35-9E55-3B2E30DD0B73.jpeg

4A7A0F6F-12D8-49E3-B1BB-459199B8002E.jpeg

Last edited:
Been a couple weeks since I posted, starting to make some good progress on the build this week. I replace an aftermarket leaky headlight with a new OEM housing and also was able to get my sliders from @LandCruiserPhil installed. I really like these sliders and I think they will suit my needs just fine. Really liking the simplicity and the fact that they offer maximum strength and durability without sticking way outside the doors.

482107D0-4844-475F-8086-8C26A0D64CA7.jpeg

9287C9E9-E8B2-48D0-9F53-32BD63CEA4AF.jpeg

ECE6FE4C-B735-4B9F-BBCF-835ABFB5F7BE.jpeg

Welcome to the best offroad vehicle you have ever owned!

Your build is coming along well.

I like the sliders, but I fear you will miss the added protection once you start getting in to more technical situations. That rocker panel is very vulnerable.

Welcome to the best offroad vehicle you have ever owned!

Your build is coming along well.

I like the sliders, but I fear you will miss the added protection once you start getting in to more technical situations. That rocker panel is very vulnerable.

Thank you, I have enjoyed the build so far and I love having it as my daily driver. My LC is mostly a pavement pounder and weekend camping rig. Will mostly see gravel dirt roads. If I want to beat on something I will take my LJ Wrangler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom