Builds My '78 FJ40 "44" (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

44 is a dirty girl, but beautiful nonetheless

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Other than me freezing, Teddy stepping on cactus and Chester being outrun by the rarebits, the only issue was complete loss of fuel pressure, while driving weally wough woads (think Elmer Fudd). I flipped from the aux tank to the main tank and trucked on.

After about 6 miles, I found a nice level spot, with a scarcity of sharp rocks, parked and released the hounds, while I crawled under, to see if the aux fuel filter was clogged. As soon as I cleared the passenger frame rail, the culprit was obvious... The hot lead to the aux pump was hanging loose.

Note: if anyone decides to use a Carter P4070 electric fuel pump, please realize the hot and cold (ground) leads plug onto terminals on the bottom of a mounted pump. Carter provides a stiff, wire retainer, to keep the terminals in place... But, it's not really a fail safe... I had wrapped a cable tie around the pump, to keep the clip in place... The cable tie broke and the clip was gone.

I resecured the terminals, using two cable ties and a wrap of electrical tape... Problem fixed.

Here's some of the pictures I took... I marvel at the size of some of these drainages... I'd love to see them running full... Well, not really... I don't want to be there when a half-mile of road is washed out by a wall of water rushing down a mountain range

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That just really looks cold Danny. If there was any wind to speak of the wind chill could be tough. Looks like a good day to just cruise and later enjoy a good hot meal in a warm house.

Happy you are having fun and the hounds are looking great.

In post 2642, pic #4, there is a flat area in the left middle, then a ridge in the background. On this ridge there is a definite line about a quarter of the way up from the bottom. Below that line the "greenery" is much lighter, while above it is much darker. Was this area once a part of a lake? This line is so definite I am wondering if this is a shoreline from a long gone lake. I'm just curious, but maybe you don't know the history, or geology, of this area.

Don

In post 2642, pic #4, there is a flat area in the left middle, then a ridge in the background. On this ridge there is a definite line about a quarter of the way up from the bottom. Below that line the "greenery" is much lighter, while above it is much darker. Was this area once a part of a lake? This line is so definite I am wondering if this is a shoreline from a long gone lake. I'm just curious, but maybe you don't know the history, or geology, of this area.

Don

Hmmm---4 identical posts, with the same post number. Don't know what happened for sure, and I was unable to delete the excess posts. My computer was playing tricks on me and didn't post right away. Maybe the 4 identical posts has something to do with that.

Don

Hmmm---4 identical posts, with the same post number. Don't know what happened for sure, and I was unable to delete the excess posts. My computer was playing tricks on me and didn't post right away. Maybe the 4 identical posts has something to do with that.

Don

I only see two identical posts Don.

I’m not aware of the history of that particular drainage, Don.

Long Canyon drains higher elevations behind and to the left of where I was standing, when I snapped that picture.
The Long Canyon drainage is substantial and is fed by many many other drainages, before it ultimately joins the huge drainage that fronts the mountains in that picture.

I’d bet that the water mark is from earliest running of the drainage itself, before erosion carved it deeper and deeper.

But, this is all part of the Great Basin, which was pretty much all ocean at one point... check this state park Berlin-Ichthyosaur State Historic Park | State Parks

Loved the Berlin pictures! Thanks for the link, Danny!

You bet Skip!! EDIT: Have you seen all of these? Ghost Town Gallery - Hundreds of pictures of Ghost Towns in the American West

Just north of there (5 miles maybe) you can turn east into the Shoshone Mountains and, ultimately into the Reese River Valley, between the Shoshone and Toyoibe mountain ranges.

The Toyoibe Range contains the Arc Dome Wilderness and some beautiful country. One of my favorite places to camp, sans people, is in this area.

A7897A8B-98EB-4AC6-AEBF-6EF3623B90A9.jpeg

CDC190C3-5FE9-4290-B2E8-16F0E7D3C5D8.jpeg

59450C79-3517-4E11-A4B6-EE42C82C1B0F.jpeg

8BEB5477-D5EA-4CC3-9F5F-095FB32BBA59.jpeg

AE8FF8F2-F79D-4F03-9842-7EA958108F84.jpeg

Last edited:
You bet Skip!! EDIT: Have you seen all of these? Ghost Town Gallery - Hundreds of pictures of Ghost Towns in the American West

Just north of there (5 miles maybe) you can turn east into the Shoshone Mountains and, ultimately into the Reese River Valley, between the Shoshone and Toyoibe mountain ranges.

The Toyoibe Range contains the Arc Dome Wilderness and some beautiful country. One of my favorite places to camp, sans people, is in this area.

View attachment 1644575

View attachment 1644576

View attachment 1644577

View attachment 1644578

View attachment 1644579
Ditto re: your like of Arc Dome. My wife and I drove our new '84 FJ60 up there on a camping trip with our two sons, the youngest wasn't even six months old. I woke up early and took our older son for a hike towards Arc Dome while my wife and other son slept in. We camped at the very spot in your photo, probably still the same picnic table!

Ditto re: your like of Arc Dome. My wife and I drove our new '84 FJ60 up there on a camping trip with our two sons, the youngest wasn't even six months old. I woke up early and took our older son for a hike towards Arc Dome while my wife and other son slept in. We camped at the very spot in your photo, probably still the same picnic table!

It’s a great spot!! There are a couple of others, but not quite as secluded.

It’s a great spot!! There are a couple of others, but not quite as secluded.
IIRC there was at least one spot closer to the little stream, was surprised to see a pickup there with a tent. Didn't think I'd see anyone else up there, it's pretty remote.

I only see two identical posts Don.

I’m not aware of the history of that particular drainage, Don.

Long Canyon drains higher elevations behind and to the left of where I was standing, when I snapped that picture.
The Long Canyon drainage is substantial and is fed by many many other drainages, before it ultimately joins the huge drainage that fronts the mountains in that picture.

I’d bet that the water mark is from earliest running of the drainage itself, before erosion carved it deeper and deeper.

But, this is all part of the Great Basin, which was pretty much all ocean at one point... check this state park Berlin-Ichthyosaur State Historic Park | State Parks

Currently I also see only two posts five minutes apart, but this morning there were four posts. Or maybe my double vision is coming back. Going to have to lay off that well water we have. It may be causing problems for me since it is so good.

Those pics in post 2650 remind me of the Steens Mountain area (south of Burns, Oregon), or at least what is in my memory. The kids were 3 months old when we were there, and they are getting close to 31 now. They loved setting in their little baskets and watching the trees move in the breeze. The gravel road out of Fields goes up into the Steens Mountain and up to around 9000 ft elevation and is the highest maintained (summertime) road in Oregon. Beautiful country, just like your pics. Sagebrush, junipers, Birch trees, and creeks (Trout Lake).

Don

IIRC there was at least one spot closer to the little stream, was surprised to see a pickup there with a tent. Didn't think I'd see anyone else up there, it's pretty remote.

I seldom see a soul.

There are several sites... the one you mentioned is the first place I camped... I can’t find a pic right now.

How about this... do you recognize this
campsite?

EE0CD57A-A786-4074-AF32-11ED79AF36CA.jpeg

Pine Creek Campground, on the east side of the Toyoibe (EDIT: Toquima) Range, in Monitor Valley, closer to US50. IIRC ~8k’ I. late May.

This is day 1, the day I broke the tip of my elbow off and tore my tricep tendon loose. About 85*
C88533D3-A515-487F-B2AE-C79DA2FDD74A.jpeg

This is day 2-5, my son-in-law and our dogs, after the ‘blizzard’... ~25* daytime
2B07126D-125A-4866-AB57-059DCBDD1369.jpeg

This is a nice campground, with about 25 sites.

Toyoibe (EDIT: not Toyoibe, Toquima) range, in our way out, from the gravel road thru Monitor Valley

85F3BA27-A57B-4588-A53C-21A31D1E1875.jpeg

Last edited:
Just did a map search to find Arc Dome Wilderness. Rather than zoom out for perspective I asked for directions from Los Angeles.

5E4929AE-2381-4707-8D3C-8D99D2ADD56C.png

I was going to say that maybe the Google Maps guys need to borrow 44, but then maybe it’s better that folks believe there isn’t a way to get there.

Just did a map search to find Arc Dome Wilderness. Rather than zoom out for perspective I asked for directions from Los Angeles. I was going to say that maybe the Google Maps guys need to borrow 44, but then maybe it’s better that folks believe there isn’t a way to get there.

From LA, head north to Sarah Palin's house, in Wasilla... Take a ferry across the Bering Strait... :steer:

Actually, Arc Dome is in the Toyoibe Mountain Range, Austin, NV (on US50) is the largest town in the area... And it ain't very large. Austin, Nevada: So much to do. | Wilderness Areas

The route I generally take is thru Tonopah, NV, to Ione, NV (ghost town, with a few living souls)... Directions from LA to Ione follow... Continue thru Ione (actually, your front bumper will exit as the rear bumper enters) to a T intersection at the reservation. (Note:Columbine Campground is thru the reservation, but I don't recall all the turns (pickup maps in Tonopah or Austin, NV)). Turn left at the T and continue on 21 (gravel) toward Austin. There are serveral marked campgrounds off 21.

Hwy 21 is the north-south "artery", on the west side of Arc Dome, in the Reese River Valley, along the Reese River.

There are also access points on the east side, off Hwy 376 (paved) in the Big Smokey Valley. The Big Smoky Valley Scenic Drive in Central Nevada : Photos, Maps and Information

I believe there is Crest Trail access from near Austin, but have never researched it.

Directions from LA to Ione, NV
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Los...1!1s0x80bcc7afd4e52e69:0x1ed8fa439def31b6!3e0

Arc Dome links: arc dome wilderness - Google Search

There are other wildernesses all over NV...

The Alta Toquima Wilderness is in the Toquima Range, in the east side of the Big Smokey Valley... Between the Big Smokey Valley and Monitor Valley.

Table Mountain Wilderness is in the Monitor Range on the east side of Monitor Valley (gravel)

Bon voyage!!

Last edited:
Just did a map search to find Arc Dome Wilderness. Rather than zoom out for perspective I asked for directions from Los Angeles. I was going to say that maybe the Google Maps guys need to borrow 44, but then maybe it’s better that folks believe there isn’t a way to get there.

From LA, head north to Sarah Palin's house, in Wasilla... Take a ferry across the Bering Strait... :steer:

Actually, Arc Dome is in the Toyoibe Mountain Range, Austin, NV (on US50) is the largest town in the area... And it ain't very large. Austin, Nevada: So much to do. | Wilderness Areas

The route I generally take is thru Tonopah, NV, to Ione, NV (ghost town, with a few living souls)... Directions from LA to Ione follow... Continue thru Ione (actually, your front bumper will exit as the rear bumper enters) to a T intersection at the reservation. (Note:Columbine Campground is thru the reservation, but I don't recall all the turns (pickup maps in Tonopah or Austin, NV)). Turn left at the T and continue on 21 (gravel) toward Austin. There are serveral marked campgrounds off 21.

Hwy 21 is the north-south "artery", on the west side of Arc Dome, I. The Reese River Valley, along the Reese River.

There are also access points on the east side, off Hwy 376 (paved) in the Big Smokey Valley. The Big Smoky Valley Scenic Drive in Central Nevada : Photos, Maps and Information

I believe there is Crest Trail access from near Austin, but have never researched it.

Directions from LA to Ione, NV
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Los...1!1s0x80bcc7afd4e52e69:0x1ed8fa439def31b6!3e0

Arc Dome links: arc dome wilderness - Google Search

There are other wildernesses all over NV...

I used this page for my first explorative trip and drove most of the scenic routes listed Nevada Scenic Drives : Information and Photos About Numerous Scenic and Backcountry Drives

The Alta Toquima Wilderness is in the Toquima Range, in the east side of the Big Smokey Valley... Between the Big Smokey Valley and Monitor Valley.

Table Mountain Wilderness is in the range on the east side of Monitor Valley (gravel)

Bon voyage!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom