My 40 has some wiring issues, truck starter working overtime and others problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 78 FJ-40 has an interesting starting issue, when the key is turned over, it starts on accessory as well as start. You have to be careful when you turn the thing off because the starter will sometimes engage right as you flip the switch off.

I first though the switch could be defective; then after thinking about it for a while I thinking it could be a wiring issue from a PO handy work. The starter has a heavy gauge wire (black with white or yellow stripe I believe) connected to it via a spade connector.

I got this truck in pieces and used a wiring diagram to hook most everything up; so far everything works as far as gauges (as if they are really that accurate!) as stuff.

Two other problems I've been having and can't seem to figure out, taillights and turn signals. I've wired up some LED turn signals and brake lights, they are the typical slip in trucker type. The brake and taillight works bu the turn does not. I do think I have a bulb up front (turn signal) that is out, that might be why the turn signals aren't coming on. Need to check the blinker relay. Is the relay a Toyota only item? It looks pretty big and I seem to recall that the Toyota turn signal system is not GM compatible. Easy way to test this unit?

Thanks for your help and input!! -Junker

I was also concerned that the LED lamps might not have enough load to run the blinker, I have had this problem on motorcycles and had to add some resistance to the circuit.

Biggest concern... back up lights. I have several connections along the frame that could be backup-light circuits and or 4th gear sensor wires, there are a total of 4 single female (eh, eh) sockets, they are blue and blue with a red stripe I believe. I can NOT find this stuff on my wiring diagram. I need a bit of help here.

There is also a single heavy gauge black wire coming from the same harness with a male spade (Toyota type with the clip) connector on the end. I can find no receptacle for this wire. I thought it might be an E-brake wire but that stuff is under the dash hooked up above the pull leveler, right?

well, no guru's on wiring. wimps!!

My fj had some funky wiring for the starter when I got it, when I reconnected the keyed ignition it would do something similar, the starter would spin at the wrong points on the switch, turned out the actual ignition switch that sits on the end of the lock tumbler had the contacts worn out inside, but rather than just wearing off, they sort of smeared, the copper must have been really soft. this let the switch sort of overlap some of the other contacts. I filed the contacts and rebuilt them with some solder. then I found out the switches are fairly cheap, I think I saw one for 15 dollars. but mine works fine now.

Here is where your starter problem is probably located. Aftermarket from ccot 23 dollars toyota is 65. ON the led lights, you need a led flasher
switch.jpg

thanks, I was thinking the switch might be a little worn. I know where to look first now. I'll have to try and find an LED flasher, the four ways work. I had to reground the front right light as the thing was so rusted up at the base I couldn't get any continuity.

I fixed that checked all bulbs the whole way around, and that side now barely works, it seems like the wires are backwards the parking light is barely visable and flashes on the 4-way. So I thought I must have the connection bass acwards, switched it... Still does the same thing the small parking light above only works on 4-way.

I still have a problem with the left rear turn signal as it won't even light up inless it's under the 4-way.

I DO NOT have the rear side marker lights plugged in, would this create a problem by not completing a circut or not having enough load? Do the rear side marker lights blink for turn signaling?

The PO had 70's ford side markers in the orig. side marker holes and they are now quite large. Too large to refit the orig. style TEQ lamps in.

I've not yet tackled the backup light stuff yet, I think with some test leads and a new bulb for my test light I should be able to figure that out.

I would love to know exactly what those extra wires are for and what to do with them to keep them from creating a future problem less tracing them back and removing them.

thanks for your help please check back on me and help me if you can. -Junk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom