Builds My 1978 Nut and Bolt Frame Off Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally found me a radio delete plate.

IMG_0467.JPG

Power!

Still not ready to fire up the engine, but this was a major step toward wards driving it. I'll hopefully get this thing on the road sometime this week.

img_0474-jpg.1501961

First: Figured out my wiper switch was shot. Only one speed worked, and the spray position was faulty as well. Decided to buy a new one, only to realize they are over $100 each. So, I decided to take mine apart and figure out what was going on with it. I started by cleaning all the contact points, and then sanded each contact with 2000 grit sand paper. I then dabbed each contact with dielectric grease. I'm pleased to say it works perfectly now.

img_0484-jpg.1503137

Next, I noticed that my reverse lights were constantly on. Surely my reverse switch is still good, right? Surely I would have checked that before putting the whole damn car together, right?! No!

For those that don't know the reverse switch is on top of the transmission. Of course the transmission is underneath the transmission hump (which is underneath the floormat (which had to be removed firstly) and the transmission hump is held on with M6 bolts, and those bolts are covered up by the gas tank and the rear heater hoses, which have to be removed. Of course to remove the rear heater hoses, you have to take apart the brackets that hold them down. Let us not forget that the gas tank is attached to a series of hoses, and the whole thing is covered by the gas tank shroud, which of course is held on by more bolts, which is also attached to the fuel sender wires, which have to be removed. Of course to get to the shroud the seat brackets have to be removed, and oh yeah, the seats too. so yeah, basically I had to remove the entire interior to get the hump out-of-the-way to access the reverse switch.

Fun.

The best part, is that it appears one of the POs decided to solder both wires from the switch together, making the reverse lights constantly in the on position. After some cursing, and some handiwork with the soldering iron and some marine grade heat shrink, I got the switch working again and re-installed onto the transmission. Woo hoo! Now I have reverse lights!

I then went through all the above in the reverse order to get my interior back in.

Oh, also found out the motor to the wiper fluid sprayer is shot, and will need to be replaced at the tune of $50. I am currently searching for cheaper alternatives.

Oh, also found out the motor to the wiper fluid sprayer is shot, and will need to be replaced at the tune of $50. I am currently searching for cheaper alternatives.

Use ANCO 67-14 washer motor. It can be had for about $15

Refinishing instrument cluster. Still lots of work to be done.

img_0513-jpg.1503982

Just went through your 24 pages. Beautiful work and very inspiring!

Its really looking great. Keep posting. You may want to take apart the hazard switch and clean it. I had a crazy blinker issue (one blinker would turn on and stay on even after shutting the car off!) that ended up being related to the switch. Hazard switch was even more expensive, and harder to find. After a good cleaning, the problem seems gone. Keep it up!!

Found out my flasher relay was bad. I ordered a new one from the Toyota dealership. This is the updated part number. I mounted it right above the fuse panel in the driver's side foot well.

Hooked it up, and voila--now I have functioning turn signals.

Thus ends my electronic saga. All switches, relays, lights, etc. function. Woohoo.

Tomorrow, I try starting it up.

img_0528-jpg.1504725

img_0529-jpg.1504726

Tenacity and a well-stocked billfold can accomplish a great deal in short order.:)

Just got caught up on your build. I can't believe how much you got done in such a short period. Great Job!

Dave

Thanks for all the love.

I can not help but to express my jealousy, but I got over it quickly. You are a machine!!

As it has been stated throughout your thread by other members, very impressive work!! Your attention to detail, talent and discipline is outstanding. You have ability to continue to move forward at an unbelievable pace and overcome major obstacles and do it with perfection.

YOU OWN THIS!!!!

I'll use this analogy, I feel like I'm drawing stick figures with a fat crayon, while you are painting the Sistine Chapel!!

Last edited:
I can not help but to express my jealousy, but I got over it quickly. You are a machine!!

As it has been stated throughout your thread by other members, very impressive work!! Your attention to detail, talent and discipline is outstanding. You have ability to continue to move forward at an unbelievable pace and overcome major obstacles and do it with perfection.

YOU OWN THIS!!!!

I'll use this analogy, I feel like I'm drawing stick figures with a fat crayon, while you are painting the Sistine Chapel!!

I appreciate your kind words. Everything is relative though; while you are complimenting my work, I assure you I am simultaneously drooling over someone else's.

Last edited:

She lives. Yes, my gas cap is open. Some smoke under acceleration; will try to diagnose. But for now, I'll bask in my ability to finally drive it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom