My 1966 FJ40, Canadian spec. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lowenbrau

SILVER Star
Threads
I hope I'm not pushing the envelope too far by posting my Sept '66 FJ40 in this club. It sure does have a lot more in common with the FJ25s than the post '68 Fj40s.

I've always wanted an early 40 series to return to stock unrestored running condition and I have been holding out for a 1966 ( my birth year), I have found them harder to find than the years before or after. Mark Whatley had one in is boneyard that he offered to me years ago if I couldn't find one closer to home. Recently this one turned up a few hours away and I knew I had to have it.

Canada got its first Toyota dealers in 1965 and I imagine they mostly sold Crowns. I don't know how many TLCs would have come here in the first year but it was odd that they were slightly different spec than their US bound versions. I don't think we ever got any column shifters and mine is three on the floor from the factory. Also we got upholstery ( such as it is) on the doors to keep a bit of the cold out. I'm not sure why but this one got a full set of footman's loops with a hardtop but someone borrowed one to hold a gerry can in place on the side of the tub. I assume that the wheels had no clips for hubcaps since the spare tire carrier has a factory reflector in the centre of it.

Anyway, without further ado, may I present my 1966, FJ40 Cdn.
20180827_010947227_iOS.jpg
20180828_225516116_iOS.jpg
20180828_225658861_iOS.jpg

Nice Cruiser, I have never seen padded early doors. Learn something new every day. Your bezel is on upside down.
One of my pals has a 1972 with those same door cards. I did a quick web search but haven't seen them in many other places. Interesting that Mr. T did the doors in grey and seats in coral.

The first thing I did after bringing it home was blast those bezel bolts with fluid film.

Nice find, bet there aren't too many FJ40s older than yours left in Canada
There was a restored 1965 for sale in Ontario for quite a while that was supposed to be original to Canada but that's about all I've seen that is that old. I always thought if I found one it would come from the US.

Rear jump seats don’t have arm? Or they broken? It seems tube is broken off in the picture.

Good eye. I'll bet they cut it off when they added the "rollbar"

The paint on this rig is fabulous! I love it!

The paint on this rig is fabulous! I love it!
Thanks. That's what I thought when I first saw it too. I'm going to have a go at Nolen's patina recipe and see how it looks.

not sure you are correct on the year, I'm thinking 66 or 67.
here's why:
the 3 screw windshield hook
no windshield vent
regular vent windows not bug catcher
horizontal blower inlet
rear hatch, not bi fold door
long running boards
no stamped bezel

nice find.

vin chart does put it at a late 66 build date.

yep, the flasher should slide in there and tighten the screw to hold in place.

You'd think I could have worked that out on my own with the flasher just dangling there but it didn't cross my mind until I had already uploaded the pictures.

Does anyone recognize this bracket?

Is that where the flasher goes?

View attachment 1885297

View attachment 1885298
Nothing much has changed this summer but I've been poking around to see what works and what doesn't. This rig has the rare-ish foot pump windshield washer. It has been bypassed for an aftermarket electrical unit but it'd be nice to get it working again. Does anyone know anything about them? I see some German cars had a similar looking design and aftermarket replacements.

View attachment 1885298

The foot pump is aftermarket, I have seen them added before. I think it wasn’t till 1968 that a fluid reservoir was added by Toyota, and was activated by twisting the windshield wiper switch.

The foot pump is aftermarket, I have seen them added before. I think it wasn’t till 1968 that a fluid reservoir was added by Toyota, and was activated by twisting the windshield wiper switch.
I think it was a rare option in the US.
footpump.jpeg

I removed this one from my ‘63 45 (and the spray nozzles on the cowl, but no “jar”). I’ve already welded the mounting holes closed figuring it was aftermarket. I wouldn’t have used it anyhow. The mounting screws were just nominal trash sheet metal screws, not anything Toyota would have supplied. What parts manual is that (year, model)?
74C29A46-0B7F-4E40-851E-CEE84EC25742.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom