Builds My $1500 82 fj60 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The pipe plug works really well. Its NPT thread, or at least should be. I had to use a tap on mine to cut the threads. When i split the adapter to look for the leak, that hole was bone dry on mine
You tapped the adapter with an npt thread? This is what I had in mind.
IMG_0262.jpeg

I wouldn’t say they are silky smooth ever, fresh or not :lol:

I wouldn’t say they are silky smooth ever, fresh or not :lol:
Most aren't, but they can be. A big problem is that they haven't been manufactured for quite a while now and OEM parts are no longer available. The market has dried up for US made replacement mainshafts that were in demand after OEM was done, and they're no longer offered. You're at the mercy of overseas aftermarket for some parts. Once you start sprinkling in parts from different sources it can be a crapshoot with tolerance stack up. I currently have one that's absolutely wonderful, and one that's just alright. Exact same rebuild package, bearings, synchros, etc - except the "just alright" one has an aftermarket replacement mainshaft and 3-4 hub.... on accounr of the above, I wouldn't use one again, I'd get a brand new H55....

yep that unused hole i tapped with i believe 1/2 inch NPT then used a brass NPT Pipe plug from the hardware store slathered in orange FIPG. Not a single leak
I now see what you mean. I didn’t realize the hole wasn’t used until I was reassembling everything. I will do the same thing you did, thanks!

I now see what you mean. I didn’t realize the hole wasn’t used until I was reassembling everything. I will do the same thing you did, thanks!
Sure thing man. I kinda saw it last minute too to be honest. Really really easy to miss. Especially with how thorough and well written the advanced adapters instructions are lol

Sure thing man. I kinda saw it last minute too to be honest. Really really easy to miss. Especially with how thorough and well written the advanced adapters instructions are lol
IMG_0337.jpeg
IMG_0336.jpeg
IMG_0353.jpeg
Here’s what I ended up with, along with some photos I made to send to my cruiser buddies to explain the issue. Seems odd of them to just leave it open. Maybe it’s a “if you don’t know you shouldn’t be doing it yourself” kind of thing. Who knows.

IMG_0374.jpeg

Also realized these are going to leak fluid if left as-is, anyone have ideas for that one? Lots of silicone?

Well I got everything installed, the transmission is shifting great, but I think the transfer case has a bad bearing on the output shaft, lots of noise. I’ll be replacing that and shortening the driveshaft once again.

Turns out the horrible noise is likely coming from the rear end. I noticed some weird play when I was pulling the driveshaft and when I drained the fluid (which probably only has 1000 miles since I last changed it) I saw glitter and chunks. Maybe time for a locker?
IMG_0413.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom