Mwahahaha, I killed it! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How did your tranny swap turn out?? got any advice for someone thinking it might be time to do one myself?

Where in cali are you??

Well, I haven't finished it yet. It's just sitting in the garage waiting. I've been out of town most of this weekend, I work at night, and I have an 8 week old, so I don't have too much time at the moment. I still need to replace the Tcase output seal, which means splitting the case to do so. Haven't done that yet. PHH and rear main need to be done still. Hardly any progress since I made this post, in other words.

I'm in San Bernardino.

No particular advice. I would make darn sure the problem was your transmission, and it couldn't be fixed while still in the truck before I dropped it. If you're at that stage, then get a GOOD jack, and just be methodical about everything.

Lay out a nice big piece of cardboard, allocate a section of the cardboard for each like part (draw a circle around your bellhousing bolts for instance, and label them, is what I mean. And do that for every part you take off. That helps keep things organized).

Have the right tools.

Have another vehicle to drive while the LC is down.

Replace what you can while it's out.

If you decide to do it and get stuck I'll be happy to try and help.

That's all I can think of as I have to leave for work right now. PM me if you want to.

Jon

Why? What is wrong with your current 442?

Beno....there are many threads, been fighting it for like 6 plus months but the bottom line is that is it does not pump fluid through the coolers..thus it runs hot...

Well, I haven't finished it yet. It's just sitting in the garage waiting. I've been out of town most of this weekend, I work at night, and I have an 8 week old, so I don't have too much time at the moment. I still need to replace the Tcase output seal, which means splitting the case to do so. Haven't done that yet. PHH and rear main need to be done still. Hardly any progress since I made this post, in other words.

I'm in San Bernardino.

No particular advice. I would make darn sure the problem was your transmission, and it couldn't be fixed while still in the truck before I dropped it. If you're at that stage, then get a GOOD jack, and just be methodical about everything.

Lay out a nice big piece of cardboard, allocate a section of the cardboard for each like part (draw a circle around your bellhousing bolts for instance, and label them, is what I mean. And do that for every part you take off. That helps keep things organized).

Have the right tools.

Have another vehicle to drive while the LC is down.

Replace what you can while it's out.

If you decide to do it and get stuck I'll be happy to try and help.

That's all I can think of as I have to leave for work right now. PM me if you want to.

Jon

Jon,

Thanks for the input...I know what working nights means...been doing it since Oct 2005...

If you need anything let me know..I am out by LAX but could travel to give you a hand...

Jon,

Hey did you seperate the tranny and t-case?? where did you end up getting your tranny??

Re:

Hey, sorry I didn't reply sooner.

I pulled the tranny out with the transfer still attached. I didn't separate them.

I found the tranny I wanted from a recycling yard in Maine. Yeah, Maine. Haha! Freight was $270 I think.

Jon

thanks....so the tranny you bought came with a t case??? or you haven't pulled it yet???

Re:

Okay, I see what you mean. No, the tranny I bought didn't include the transfer case. I did separate the old tranny and transfer. Right now I'm debating whether to open the case to replace the output seals.

Did you decide to pull your tranny out? Having trouble separating the transfer? I did. I just layed it on it's side, and manhandled the transfer. Rocked it back and forth pretty good and it finally came undone.

Jon

Jon,

I will be picking up a tranny in the next couple of weeks. I didn't know how that transfer case was set up... On the 60 series you have to disassemble the case to get it apart.... so it comes apart as a whole unit.... great...gonna use the lift in my buddies tire shop..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom