Muffler questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
I don't know if my muffler is bad, but crawling under the FJ40 the pipe is all rusted and corroded. The cruiser smells of exhauast although I did pass an emissions test.

The muffler shop wanted $400 to replace the muffler and pipe. Is this something I could do myself? Any special tools?

My FJ40 has a catalytic converter on it. The 77 FJ40 did not require one. Any reason to take it out?

As far as the muffler and pipe goes, I would go to

http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/exhaust_systems.htm

and order their system. I did and am very happy with it, but the 6 into 1 header was already installed by the previous owner. Sounds really good and runs up tight against the frame rail above the skid plate, and really simple to install. :D

As far as the Cat. goes, don't have one one on mine, but the part of Houston I live in doesn't require smog testing for vehicles 25+ years old. Guess it depends on where you live as to whether you should remove it.

[quote author=romer link=board=1;threadid=9238;start=msg80478#msg80478 date=1072413820]
I don't know if my muffler is bad, but crawling under the FJ40 the pipe is all rusted and corroded. The cruiser smells of exhauast although I did pass an emissions test.

The muffler shop wanted $400 to replace the muffler and pipe. Is this something I could do myself? Any special tools?

My FJ40 has a catalytic converter on it. The 77 FJ40 did not require one. Any reason to take it out?
[/quote]

Their trying to sell you the "all stainless, lifetime warranty" deal. Any shop will do it for $100-$150 with a flowmaster, if you go galvinized alum. If you smell exhaust, get it taken care of soon. Should not need the cat, don't believe any 40 model year had them.

Thanks for the reply on Man-a-Fre. Can you install the muffler without welding Gear , using regular tools? I have a header on my FJ40 so that should work.

Thanks

SOR sells the parts, too. And a clamp-on bracket system like MAF's. I have used both, successfully. It is hard to make a clamp-on system totally leak free, but you can get close enough. (That is why they sell them.)

Surface rust, by the way, is normal, and you will get it unless you buy an expensive non OEM type system. I would not worry about surface rust. Rust-through is a problem.

The MAF 6>1 header system requires a 3 bolt flange that must, IMHO, be welded to prevent substantial leakage. The welding should be done after everything else is mounted for proper alignment. You can do the rest with a hacksaw and a wrench, then let the shop weld the flange for cheap. But not all header systems are the same, so you should get under there and see what you need before you order.

Yeah, you can do install the MAF system without a welder. I just bolted mine in place with the gasket and I don't have any leaks. No cutting, easy as can be. I've has mone on for about 6 months now amd no problems, no leaks. Maybe I just got lucky not having leaks since I didn't have the flange welded.

Like fsusteve said, $150 is the max I'd pay for new pipe and muffler from manifold back.
I just got a new pipe and flowmaster muffler installed for $100.

I just recently installed the MAF kit, and was impressed with the frame side mounting location. I did not like the clamping stlye to the pipes of the factory muffler that came with the kit.. I couldnt get them to seal properly. I also have a small leak at the header flange that is annoying.. Overall though, the exaust hangers and location was good with the kit. I also like the exhaust exit location behind the rear drivers side rear wheel.. If you allready have the MAF header I would go with it. It took me 20 minutes to bolt it up in the dark with a flashlight.

Mike

I agree with the rest, $400 is highway robbery unless you asked for the gold plated system! I paid about $100 - 150 for my 2 1/2" pipe in the 'Cruiser after I put the turbo in it. I do not have a muffler in the system at all anymore by my request. The guy had a harder time of it 'cause I was standing there to tell him exactly what I wanted and how I wanted it. I would have been cheaper had I not been there but then I would not have gotten what I wanted!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom