Builds Mrburlingame’s 200 Series Build - Garlic (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mrburlingame

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello everyone.

Wanted to share with you my 200 Series build. But first, some background…

Last June 2018, while on vacation with my wife in Europe, late one night I visited the Mud website and was immediately drawn into the 200 forum. It was fun reading many of the threads about different builds and what so many of you have thoughtfully done to get your 200s right where you want them. While I frequently read threads with multiple opinions, the one consensus was that the 200 is the most reliable, high quality, luxurious, and capable vehicle one can buy. I immediately knew that I wanted a 200. Like it seems like many of you on Mud, I already had a Land Cruiser (a 1994 80 Series) which I loved. I bought my white 80 in my mid 20s after a close friend invited me on a trip to Moab in his 80. The vehicle, affectionately named Onion to go along with my friend’s green 80 named Avocado, became my go to adventure vehicle. I camped with it throughout California, and built it out as much as I could so it would be equipped to handle whatever we could throw at it. It’s now at 270,000 miles and still going strong after three Mojave Trail crossings, a number of trips in the Sierras, car camping trips throughout the Bay Area, and of course driving around the obstacle course at Hollister Hills SVRA. Life continued to happen since I picked up the 80 and as a dad now I felt our family could enjoy a more comfortable vehicle with the latest safety features. Then, while enthusiastically reading @indycole’s amazingly detailed build thread from that hotel room in Amsterdam, I became hooked and dreamed of one day owning a 200. Reading @Markuson’s many helpful responses on the forum, enjoying @mcgaskins’s constant experimenting and pursuit of perfection (and friendly banter), and seeing @TonyP’s bulletproof build, I was inspired to do my own. I was also impressed with the quality of the vendors building products for the 200 and knew my timing was right to take the plunge.

A few months later, in December 2018, I bought a three month old white 2018 200 Series in San Diego, and shipped it to our house on the San Francisco Peninsula. When it arrived at 3 am on a weeknight, I was so pumped I drove it 10 miles on the freeway just to see how the vehicle handled. At that moment, I knew I was in for an adventure.

F3FC1B20-6933-4631-8BCE-8B46F83167A2.jpeg

A9A02F44-CF13-4678-8F0F-9E16D7B6606E.jpeg

The goal for my 200 Series build was to source the highest quality components, make it as lightweight as possible yet highly practical and usable, but most of all, comfortable. There were many things in my 80 that I loved but also many opportunities I saw to do things differently and more thoughtfully the next time around. With the 200, I was less interested in rock crawling and more intrigued with building a quality rig that my family could comfortably enjoy while still having the ability to access the wilderness and beautiful nature in California and the West Coast.

In this build thread, I will share my thought process for each system. I am grateful to the incredible Mud community for all of the knowledge that is freely shared in this forum and for inspiring me to try something new, different, and outside my comfort zone creativity-wise. Special thanks to @benc at Dissent, David at @TrekboxX, Eric at A Plus Japanese Auto Repair, @orangefj45 and @wardharris at Valley Hybrids/Cruiser Brothers, and @indycole for sharing their time, collective wisdom, energy, enthusiasm and dedication to my build. Each of you have taught me a lot (particularly grateful since I do not have a background in the automotive or engineering fields so it’s been quite a learning experience). I’m sure there are things I could have done differently, and/or will continue to do, but for the time being I’m pretty happy with how it turned out.

Humboldt Redwoods State Park

1E9DC074-5F96-4C30-8711-0BAD567FC6D5.jpeg

The Lost Coast

35DA49AC-DC2B-41E9-9BF5-C19A436F35E8.jpeg

Equally at home in suburbia

B595E385-A823-401A-840C-8A58FC36EB23.jpeg

Last edited:
Front and Rear Bumpers

Initially, I had seen a slick looking front bumper on Mud built by CBI, but apparently it was a one off build. Then, I began following Dissent Offroad’s entrance into the 200 market, and was super intrigued with what he was doing. @benc is a master fabricator, and a creative guru who builds based off his own experience. He has also built his products not just from steel but also aluminum, and I was curious. After buying a 200 last year, Ben began experimenting with his products on his own vehicle, and I immediately reached out to see if he had the bandwidth to work with me.

Ben spent nearly an hour patiently chatting with me, and we discussed my goals for my rear bumper setup. This turned into building a custom solution that would solve my challenge on where to locate several important items.

- Propane. On my 80 with the Front Runner roof rack, I ran the propane tank on the roof. It was a fine solution but the mount for whatever reason did not get along with me, and I wasn’t a fan of gas being stored on the roof (and it was a pain to get up there each night to pull it down, attach the hose, and pop it back up in the morning), and I naturally didn’t want it in the vehicle.​
- The Hi-Lift jack. The Hi-Lift is one of the most tried and true jacks on the market with a rich history, not to mention looking super cool when mounted to a roof rack or bumper. Then, last year ARB released Jack. With a hydraulic solution and what seemed like less effort and complexity, and being arguably safer, I was intrigued. After trying it out in front of my house, I was sold. It was smooth and easy to use, however it’s best stored upright. It was important to me to find a way to incorporate this somehow into the rear bumper.​
- Stove. I’ve had the Cook Partner Stove for years after first learning about it on a river rafting trip on the Deschutes River got a bachelor party. All the guides swore by them, and while patriotic with my Coleman, I was happy to try something new and higher quality. I ideally was hoping we could integrate a stove into the setup but wasn’t sure how this would look, and Ben came up with a cool drop down table for it.​
- Shovel. Having an externally mounted shovel was something I was hoping we could incorporate. The rugged DMOS Collective shovel with its clever, compact design seemed like a perfect fit. It was attached to the top rear of the storage box with DMOS’s lockable mount.​
- Maxtrax. Could have mounted on the roof, though wanted to keep the lines looking clean and the space free for anything else that might be stored up there.​
The aluminum bumper Ben custom built has three swing outs - the typical tire swing out on the left, plus a storage box and separate, narrower enclosed space behind it. The storage box holds a two gallon Rotopax for water (may add in a second) plus an intuitive drop down table with adjustable legs, which is perfect for cooking. Secured to the table with a clever mounting solution Ben custom made is the Partner Stove, and this area can be illuminated at night with a small Rigid light mounted at the top of the box. This set up is especially handy as before I had one cooking surface with the @TrekboxX and a freestanding Roll-A-Table, but now with a second cook surface the Roll-A-Table is no longer needed in the trunk, freeing up valuable storage space. The enclosed space behind the box holds a Worthington 6 pound propane tank (about 1.2 gallons), the ARB Jack, and an Outer Limits Supply first aid kit. The propane tank and Jack are secured with Quick Fists.

0484AD8B-0A15-4098-8507-534EE0FD000A.jpeg

1ED52AF7-488D-4004-ABE7-9D937503F150.jpeg

E082C491-6B40-4AF0-B1CF-17CC83F0608B.jpeg

[Instagram video posted by Ben.]

Ben was also able to relocate the rear camera so it is still functional.

The parking sensors were maintained in both the front and rear. As they were stock white, Ben came up with a clever solution so they would match the black powder coated bumpers.

Another issue I wanted to solve for in this build was easily being able to connect the vehicle to outside power. @Markuson’s recent post about this got me thinking in this direction. Backing the 200 into the driveway a day or two before a trip to get the fridge cooled down and packed up at my convenience rather than right before the trip started felt like a nice touch to add. With the RedArc Manager 30, this became quite simple (will discuss electrical in a future post). Ben added in a spot under the rear bumper where an extension cord can easily be plugged in to my house. Ben also included an Anderson connector and a trailer connector while he was at it, which could come in handy down the road.

For the front bumper, I elected to go without a bull bar. Having had an ARB bull bar on my 80 for many years and not observing a practical use for the bar itself yet, I didn’t have a particular need (hopefully I don’t run into a deer!) and wanted a cleaner look up front. Set into the Dissent bumper is the ComeUp Winch Seal Gen 2 12k with synthetic line and a Factor 55 flatlink (I am hoping for an opportunity soon to safely try this out). Lighting is a pair of amber Rigid D-Series Floods as well as Dissent provided bullet lights. The front bumper is aluminum. I thought it turned out great and will give me protection from any rocks or branches I may roll over.

D53D4A17-9A4D-4982-B5F4-E6B2D964FCB1.jpeg

9174014C-626A-4665-B36D-F7B1D080704F.jpeg

Thanks to my friend and adventure photographer extraordinaire Ian Tuttle for snapping these pix. Taken near Pt Reyes National Seashore.

Last edited:
Your 200 turned out great!!!!!!!

Nice work. Love the pics!

Georg

valley Hybrids, Cruiser Brothers & Long Range America

Thanks @mcgaskins! Yeah it was great working with him!

Looks nicely sorted out.

Interesting blade-like taper of the front bumper wings. Curious about the rear enclosure, stove, etc & would love to checkbit our in person. Are you coming to LCDC? (Hard to keep track this year since there is no driver-list by screen name posted this year).

PS. Your NF tent reminds me of my winter backpacking days of yesteryear. :)

Front and Rear Bumpers

Initially, I had seen a slick looking front bumper on Mud built by CBI, but apparently it was a one off build. Then, i began following Dissent Offroad’s entrance into the 200 market, I was super intrigued. @benc is a master fabricator, and a creative guru who builds based off his own experience. He has also build his products not just from steel but also aluminum, and I was curious. After buying a 200 last year, Ben began experimenting with his products on his own vehicle, and I immediately reached out to see if he had the bandwidth to work with me.

Ben spent nearly an hour patiently chatting with me, and we discussed my goals for my rear bumper setup. This turned into building a custom solution that would solve my challenge on where to locate several important items.

- Propane. On my 80 with the Front Runner roof rack, I ran the propane tank on the roof. It was a fine solution but the mount for whatever reason did not get along with me, and I wasn’t a fan of gas being stored on the roof (and it was a pain to get up there each night to pull it down, attach the hose, and pop it back up in the morning), and I naturally didn’t want it in the vehicle.​
- The Hi-Lift jack. The Hi-Lift is one of the most tried and true jacks on the market with a rich history, not to mention looking super cool when mounted to a roof rack or bumper. Then, last year ARB released Jack. With a hydraulic solution and what seemed like less effort and complexity, and being arguably safer, I was intrigued. After trying it out in front of my house, I was sold. It was smooth and easy to use, however it’s best stored upright. It was important to me to find a way to incorporate this somehow into the rear bumper.​
- Stove. I’ve had the Cook Partner Stove for years after first learning about it on a river rafting trip on the Deschutes River got a bachelor party. All the guides swore by them, and while patriotic with my Coleman, I was happy to try something new and higher quality. I ideally was hoping we could integrate a stove into the setup but wasn’t sure how this would look, and Ben came up with a cool drop down table for it.​
- Shovel. Having an externally mounted shovel was something I was hoping we could incorporate. The rugged DMOS Collective shovel with its clever, compact design seemed like a perfect fit. It was attached to the top rear of the storage box with DMOS’s lockable mount.​
- Maxtrax. Could have mounted on the roof, though wanted to keep the lines looking clean and the space free for anything else that might be stored up there.​
The aluminum bumper Ben custom built has three swing outs - the typical tire swing out on the left, plus a storage box and separate, narrower enclosed space behind it. The storage box holds a two gallon Rotopax for water (may add in a second) plus an intuitive drop down table with adjustable legs, which is perfect for cooking. Secured to the table with a clever mounting solution Ben custom made is the Partner Stove, and this area can be illuminated at night with a small Rigid light mounted at the top of the box. This set up is especially handy as before I had one cooking surface with the @TrekboxX and a freestanding Roll-A-Table, but now with a second cook surface the Roll-A-Table is no longer needed in the trunk, freeing up valuable storage space. The enclosed space behind the box holds a Worthington 6 pound propane tank (about 1.2 gallons), the ARB Jack, and an Outer Limits Supply first aid kit. The propane tank and Jack are secured with Quick Fists.

View attachment 2014926
View attachment 2014927
View attachment 2014929

[Instagram video posted by Ben.]

Ben was also able to relocate the rear camera so it is still functional.

The parking sensors were maintained in both the front and rear. As they were stock white, Ben came up with a clever solution so they would match the black powder coated bumpers.

Another issue I wanted to solve for in this build was easily being able to connect the vehicle to outside power. @Markuson’s recent post about this got me thinking in this direction. Backing the 200 into the driveway a day or two before a trip to get the fridge cooled down and packed up at my convenience rather than right before the trip started felt like a nice touch to add. With the RedArc Manager 30, this became quite simple (will discuss electrical in a future post). Ben added in a spot under the rear bumper where an extension cord can easily be plugged in to my house. Ben also included an Anderson connector and a trailer connector while he was at it, which could come in handy down the road.

For the front bumper, I elected to go without a bull bar. Having had an ARB bull bar on my 80 for many years and not observing a practical use for the bar itself yet, I didn’t have a particular need (hopefully I don’t run into a deer!) and wanted a cleaner look up front. Set into the Dissent bumper is the ComeUp Winch Seal Gen 2 12k with synthetic line and a Factor 55 flatlink (I am hoping for an opportunity soon to safely try this out). Lighting is a pair of amber Rigid D-Series Floods as well as Dissent provided bullet lights. The front bumper is aluminum. I thought it turned out great and will give me protection from any rocks or branches I may roll over.

View attachment 2014928
View attachment 2014925

Thanks to my friend and adventure photographer extraordinaire Ian Tuttle for snapping these pix. Taken near Pt Reyes National Seashore.

Nice. I’ve seen your truck around and wondered if the owner was on the forum.

I’m in bgame also and my LX is currently with Ben getting fixed up. I’m sure you’ll see it around soon.

Beautiful setup! Where did you have the RedArc Manager 30 mounted?

Your 200 turned out great!!!!!!!

Nice work. Love the pics!

Georg

valley Hybrids, Cruiser Brothers & Long Range America

Thank you @orangefj45! Let’s schedule a time for the LRA install soon.
Thanks Civil! Looking forward to meeting you.
Looks nicely sorted out.

Interesting blade-like taper of the front bumper wings. Curious about the rear enclosure, stove, etc & would love to checkbit our in person. Are you coming to LCDC? (Hard to keep track this year since there is no driver-list by screen name posted this year).

PS. Your NF tent reminds me of my winter backpacking days of yesteryear. :)

Hi @Markuson yes, will be at LCDC so would be great to connect.
Winter backpacking?? That sounds epic. Would love to do that; it’s on my bucket list. What kind of trail conditions, and were you snowshoeing? Went backpacking last week in Pt Reyes but that was shorts and t-shirt weather.
6B412320-5464-4006-AE73-737AB9054621.jpeg

Nice. I’ve seen your truck around and wondered if the owner was on the forum.

I’m in bgame also and my LX is currently with Ben getting fixed up. I’m sure you’ll see it around soon.
No way @1world1love. Glad to hear there’s another LC in the hood and what a coincidence your LX is also with Ben. Looking forward to meeting you around town and checking out your build.
Beautiful setup! Where did you have the RedArc Manager 30 mounted?
Thanks Jadant! Will post more pix soon, but mounted the display above the left wing of the Trekboxx and the unit within the wing.

I can't wait to see this at LCDC! Looking great! Pt Reyes is amazing too.

Nice build, I love the Dissent rear. Seeing these 2016+ 200's built out are a constant source of anxiety and inner turmoil I have about keeping my 5th Gen or buying a second 200 to build.

Suspension, Tires & Wheels

After reading many threads here on Mud, it seemed like the BP-51s would be a good fit for me. Hard to argue with any ARB product, and after a few years of being on the market I felt comfortable they’d be a solid match. On my 80 I ran the regular OME setup for years and was happy with it, so I felt confident the BP-51s would be even more comfortable.

Selected the Nitto Ridge Grappler 34 inch tires 285/75/R17 as these seemed to be a popular, well run tire on the 200 forum, and they also look great. Having run 33 inch KO2s on my 80, I was ready to experiment with a new tire and so far I’ve been very happy. They’re quiet as heck.

For wheels, chose the Icon Six Speed wheels. Thank you @Ohnoitsbreaux for the cool photo of your truck where I first discovered the wheels, and @linuxgod for sharing your thoughts with me on them as I had been concerned about offset.

75DCB6F7-9F43-43EB-8155-53A61EC50A25.jpeg

Added in Trail Tailor’s upper and lower control arm guards, and the @TRAIL TAILOR new Tough Dog springs as well given the extra weight for the @TrekboxX, the storage box (it’s about 40 pounds), and the yet to be installed 24 gallon LRA tank from @orangefj45. So far the truck is driving great.

Thanks to @benc for the install of all of these items.

Received the @AdventureToolCompany new kitchen set. Classy operation and loved the handwritten note in the package. The kitchen set is quality and well thought out. Looking forward to having most of my kitchen gear in one nicely organized bag. Will store it in the space in front of the fridge on the @TrekboxX fridge slide. Hey, maybe Trekboxx could create a custom sized Richlite cutting board to pair with the set?

In the background the white box on the bottom is the Yeti Loadout GoBox 30. Experimenting with it vs the AluBox. I've always enjoyed the AluBox particularly since they're so space efficient and stack well, and you can buy a number of difference sizes. The Yeti is beefier though it does have a nice zippered mesh section in the flip up top, as well as a handy divider and tray in the bottom part.

8y1mo0J+QeS8MlnHEQ5PJA.jpg
%Gb0fpDITcex44HJLh7BKQ.jpg
fullsizeoutput_7c6a.jpeg
sj9o29J5QCmd547xiwoqRg.jpg
bVXW%Qe9RFOVYuyjzAWZRA.jpg

Storage

The one modification that exponentially increased the functionality and usability of my 80 Series was installing a Trekboxx (I waited a few months while David fitted his first Trekboxx to my 80 and it was well worth it, and after a few years beating up the Line-X coating it still looks like new). While it is a pricey setup, for the quality of what you get and the organization value it added to so many our camping trips, it’s more than fair, and is a total game changer for use of the vehicle in my opinion. I remember in my pre-Trekboxx days packing in side by side Action Packers next to a small ARB fridge and thankfully will never need to go back to those again because of the thoughtfully designed Trekboxx.

David’s attention to detail in crafting what for me was the perfect storage solution is impeccable. He takes an incredible amount of pride in his work, and so it was an obvious choice to engage David for round two on the 200. In the meantime, he’s made some neat updates to the product as well, but the short version is, they are incredible. Even the cutting board material he uses is first class - it’s called Richlite, and it’s the same material Epicurean makes it’s well known cutting boards out of. I’ve purchased dozens of them from Epicurean as gifts and they’re extremely durable and clean easily (and now David can also make cutting boards too if you want them).

IMGP2508-pt-reyes.jpg

Being the perfectionist that he is, David asked me to send him the middle seat headrest and he’d attempt to color match the roof Line-X coating on the Trekboxx to the Terra interior. Sure enough, it turned out beautifully.

We added in a tailgate cover (made of Richlite) covered with a firm but cushion-y material that is easy to clean. It’s way more comfortable to put your knee on it than the stock carpet. I briefly considered a tailgate lid that opens as I enjoyed the one in my 80, but didn’t want to load the tailgate down with extra weight as it can be heavier to lift.

David was kind enough to do nearly all of the electrical wiring and he hit it out of the park. More info on electrical soon.

IMGP2509-pt-reyes.jpg

Refrigerator

For the refrigerator, I’d been frustrated with my two ARBs (I like having the ability to bring ice cream and ice on a hot trip if we have the space) as I’d have to set the temperature 15 or so degrees lower than my targets which led to inconsistent temperatures. After reading a good review in Overland Journal and seeing no complaints about the National Luna fridges, I bought the 60L Twin Fridge and Freezer from @Equipt. The unit perfectly maximizes the space within the fridge area of the Trekboxx and also leaves a few more inches in front of the fridge which I did not have with the ARB. After my first trip to the Lost Coast for a few days I’m pleased with the quality and accuracy of the National Luna. I also like the internal storage baskets for organization which also allows for better air flow around the items.

IMGP2507-pt-reyes.jpg

I love the Epicurean cutting boards, I've had my first one for over a decade now and it still looks new.

I love this setup!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom