Builds Mrburlingame’s 200 Series Build - Garlic (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Electrical System & Communications

My previous experience with a dual battery setup in my 80 was a positive one, though I wished the second battery held more juice, and longer. Fortunately, technology has improved, and I was super curious about lithium batteries for a 200 build, particularly given my positive experiences with Goal Zero’s incredibly lightweight lithium batteries. After doing some online research I came across an American lithium battery outfit called Relion, which conveniently makes around two dozen batteries of different dimensions. My only requirement was the battery needed to fit within the relatively narrow wing opening on either side of the Trekboxx. Fortunately, with Relion’s wide selection and detailed measurements by David @TrekboxX and advice from @indycole, we found the perfectly sized battery.

After a phone call with a friendly rep there to confirm the type of conditions I’d be using it in (basically not extreme cold), I placed the order for the RB100 100 aH battery.

In the below photo, you can see the custom bracket David created to hold the lithium battery in place, as well as a small stand for the rear sPOD Bantam controller.

05AC0F9A-E0B3-4E80-AA2C-4CF34EB3E58C.jpeg

BB95436B-B864-4451-9595-13B8D6EBB609.jpeg

We also added an sPOD in the front just behind the sunglass holder in the same location where @indycole mounted his. I was anticipating filling up this sPOD as well but I hadn’t realized the winch would be separate, and the Rigid light bar had its own custom switch (mounted to the left of the steering wheel), so at the moment the front sPOD is supporting the ARB Twin Compressor only, which is mounted under the hood.

As a keen follower of the handy Adventure Curated blog based in Australia, last winter I read their detailed post about the RedArc Manager 30 which informed my thoughts on what I could do. It seemed to check the boxes for an effective power management system. I liked that it could handle inputs from solar and house power, was compatible with lithium, and of course support charging while the vehicle was driving.

CE8D73D5-C676-4482-B6AC-AFEAE74A2B23.jpeg

David and I struggled on where to install the screen (the system is mounted in the right wing of the Trekboxx) and settled on a custom bracket above the left wing and next to the refrigerator. After my first trip, my takeaway is it’s a solid product. I’m not knowledgeable enough to fully understand how it works, but the information on the display is super helpful. Knowing the percentage of charge left in the lithium battery is awesome, and it’ll also display how much time you have left before the battery runs out based on your current load use so you can effectively manage your power usage. After a night of electrical usage (lights and fridge only), the lithium battery was at 89% the next morning...barely made a dent.

Communications

One of my favorite things about the outdoors and being in the backcountry is being away from email. However, from a safety perspective, there is a sense of comfort I have even knowing I have one bar. I came across the WeBoost Drive 4G-X which can magnify a cell signal by up to 30x. A little antenna mounts on the roof, and connects to a small controller box that we mounted in between the Trekboxx and the second row. The box then magnifies the signal throughout the vehicle. When I’m driving (or at camp and want a signal) I just keep it turned in via the rear sPOD. On my trip to the Lost Coast, the first night we stayed at a remote campground in the Mendocino Forest and not surprisingly no one had service. I powered up the WeBoost and after a few seconds my phone miraculously had one bar which was enough to make a phone call. I don’t plan to use this much as the goal is to disconnected.

BC31C3D5-04FE-4C27-AA4B-27E58A9BB5C8.jpeg

For redundancy, I also carry an Iridium Extreme satellite phone stored in a Pelican case and an ACR ResQLink 400 personal locator beacon in case the battery on the Iridium phone were to die.

At some point I’d like to figure out a good mounting solution for the sat phone, an iPad for navigation instead of relying on my smaller iPhone screen, and installation of a ham radio transceiver soon.

5256AA8E-FABD-4DF3-B588-F8468968716D.jpeg

Last edited:
I love the Epicurean cutting boards, I've had my first one for over a decade now and it still looks new.

I love this setup!!!
Thank you @Tex68w! Yeah, the boards are pretty bulletproof. And so nice they can go in the dishwasher too after a long trip (unlike many solid wood boards).

Storage

The one modification that exponentially increased the functionality and usability of my 80 Series was installing a Trekboxx (I waited a few months while David fitted his first Trekboxx to my 80 and it was well worth it, and after a few years beating up the Line-X coating it still looks like new). While it is a pricey setup, for the quality of what you get and the organization value it added to so many our camping trips, it’s more than fair, and is a total game changer for use of the vehicle in my opinion. I remember in my pre-Trekboxx days packing in side by side Action Packers next to a small ARB fridge and thankfully will never need to go back to those again because of the thoughtfully designed Trekboxx.

David’s attention to detail in crafting what for me was the perfect storage solution is impeccable. He takes an incredible amount of pride in his work, and so it was an obvious choice to engage David for round two on the 200. In the meantime, he’s made some neat updates to the product as well, but the short version is, they are incredible. Even the cutting board material he uses is first class - it’s called Richlite, and it’s the same material Epicurean makes it’s well known cutting boards out of. I’ve purchased dozens of them from Epicurean as gifts and they’re extremely durable and clean easily (and now David can also make cutting boards too if you want them).

View attachment 2027489

Being the perfectionist that he is, David asked me to send him the middle seat headrest and he’d attempt to color match the roof Line-X coating on the Trekboxx to the Terra interior. Sure enough, it turned out beautifully.

We added in a tailgate cover (made of Richlite) covered with a firm but cushion-y material that is easy to clean. It’s way more comfortable to put your knee on it than the stock carpet. I briefly considered a tailgate lid that opens as I enjoyed the one in my 80, but didn’t want to load the tailgate down with extra weight as it can be heavier to lift.

David was kind enough to do nearly all of the electrical wiring and he hit it out of the park. More info on electrical soon.

View attachment 2027490

Refrigerator

For the refrigerator, I’d been frustrated with my two ARBs (I like having the ability to bring ice cream and ice on a hot trip if we have the space) as I’d have to set the temperature 15 or so degrees lower than my targets which led to inconsistent temperatures. After reading a good review in Overland Journal and seeing no complaints about the National Luna fridges, I bought the 60L Twin Fridge and Freezer from @Equipt. The unit perfectly maximizes the space within the fridge area of the Trekboxx and also leaves a few more inches in front of the fridge which I did not have with the ARB. After my first trip to the Lost Coast for a few days I’m pleased with the quality and accuracy of the National Luna. I also like the internal storage baskets for organization which also allows for better air flow around the items.

View attachment 2027488

Nice.
Suddenly my highly doo-dadded swing-outs feel reasonably-equipped again. :) That’s quite a closet on the right, there!

Storage

The one modification that exponentially increased the functionality and usability of my 80 Series was installing a Trekboxx (I waited a few months while David fitted his first Trekboxx to my 80 and it was well worth it, and after a few years beating up the Line-X coating it still looks like new). While it is a pricey setup, for the quality of what you get and the organization value it added to so many our camping trips, it’s more than fair, and is a total game changer for use of the vehicle in my opinion. I remember in my pre-Trekboxx days packing in side by side Action Packers next to a small ARB fridge and thankfully will never need to go back to those again because of the thoughtfully designed Trekboxx.

David’s attention to detail in crafting what for me was the perfect storage solution is impeccable. He takes an incredible amount of pride in his work, and so it was an obvious choice to engage David for round two on the 200. In the meantime, he’s made some neat updates to the product as well, but the short version is, they are incredible. Even the cutting board material he uses is first class - it’s called Richlite, and it’s the same material Epicurean makes it’s well known cutting boards out of. I’ve purchased dozens of them from Epicurean as gifts and they’re extremely durable and clean easily (and now David can also make cutting boards too if you want them).

View attachment 2027489

Being the perfectionist that he is, David asked me to send him the middle seat headrest and he’d attempt to color match the roof Line-X coating on the Trekboxx to the Terra interior. Sure enough, it turned out beautifully.

We added in a tailgate cover (made of Richlite) covered with a firm but cushion-y material that is easy to clean. It’s way more comfortable to put your knee on it than the stock carpet. I briefly considered a tailgate lid that opens as I enjoyed the one in my 80, but didn’t want to load the tailgate down with extra weight as it can be heavier to lift.

David was kind enough to do nearly all of the electrical wiring and he hit it out of the park. More info on electrical soon.

View attachment 2027490

Refrigerator

For the refrigerator, I’d been frustrated with my two ARBs (I like having the ability to bring ice cream and ice on a hot trip if we have the space) as I’d have to set the temperature 15 or so degrees lower than my targets which led to inconsistent temperatures. After reading a good review in Overland Journal and seeing no complaints about the National Luna fridges, I bought the 60L Twin Fridge and Freezer from @Equipt. The unit perfectly maximizes the space within the fridge area of the Trekboxx and also leaves a few more inches in front of the fridge which I did not have with the ARB. After my first trip to the Lost Coast for a few days I’m pleased with the quality and accuracy of the National Luna. I also like the internal storage baskets for organization which also allows for better air flow around the items.

View attachment 2027488

This is art. Masterpiece.

I remember being on the Lost Coast, and you're right, no cell phone coverage at all. So, it's nice to read about that cell booster working in a place that I know is a black hole of service.

As far as navigation goes, you could always do what the XOverland guys are up to and go all in with a Garmin Overlander navigation system paired with a Garmin inReach and then for fun, mount some Garmin cameras up in the front and rear. This would replace the PLB and the need to use a delicate ipad.

You're going to have to do a show and tell at the bbq lol

A top shelf build for a top shelf car. Beautifully done.

Georg works on all the cool stuff!

:cool:

Yes he does.
Visit his shop...in a very unassuming part of town...and suddenly you’re in a shop PACKED with interesting cruisers.

Last edited:
@Markuson I actually work down the street and frequently visit during lunch. I finally brought my Cruiser for work there after getting it back from @benc . So yes, it’s like having a cruiser museum in California.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom