Builds Mr. Torgue's 2010 GX460 build (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When you get a chance MrTorque, can you also give a list of "pros" and "cons"?

Sorry, missed this post.

After spending ~5 days with it here are my initial thoughts.

Pros:
  • Carplay. Enough said.
  • Installation was a piece of cake.
  • GROM unit has good cable lengths so no worries on getting it to the glove box efficiently.
  • HDMI in, oh yea that's pretty neat.
  • Unit boots up quick and the interface is pretty fast.
  • Less losses of connection wirelessly than the phoenix tesla screen I put in the 470--almost nonexistent here.
  • Picks up my phone's wireless carplay connection right off the bat.
  • Keeps the hotspot connection to my phone every time so I don't have to keep connecting to it (looking at you phoenix tesla screen!!).
  • If you turn the vehicle off with this running it comes right back up on startup where you left off.
  • My rear backup camera still works perfectly (again, looking at you phoenix tesla screen!).
  • An absolutely necessity for those of us GX owners who like/love carplay.
  • SD card slot for internal memory. Can be used to house your music/videos!
  • Watch youtube while moving (provided your cell service is up to par).

Cons:
  • Is a little expensive if you just want carplay like I do.
  • Sometimes (1:10 times) the parking sensors will show disabled on screen, but will still work. I think it's just a glitch in the UI.
  • Would of liked the USB ports to provide more power to charge devices... because...
  • ...the USB port that also doubles as wired carplay only barely charges the phone. It is more like a maintainer than a charger.
  • Using the factory screen means you cannot click and drag or pinch zoom. This is especially noticeable when you need to scroll or use your map apps like waze. It isn't a deal breaker but something to consider.
  • Limited native app compatibility. Still trying to figure out how to install new android apps via google play (anyone help me out?).

We'll be in Hillside/Westcliffe/Silvercliff area for a few days. How close is that to your neck of the woods? The only real thing we are sight seeing this time is the Great Sand Dunes otherwise it'll just be more of the relaxing doing nothing sort of thing. Some exploration down roads and trails that my previous Dodge Charger couldn't make is in the plans too.

Nice area, don’t forget to check out Zapata Falls, should be a good cold/wet foot walk into the falls this time of year.

If you plan to cut through Medano Pass when leaving the Sand Dunes, keep in mind the last creek crossing (NE most) is by far the deepest. Depending on time of year, it can get 3’ plus deep, so grab a tree limb and check it out first.

We’re in Colorado Springs, about 1.5-2 hours NE of there.

Nice area, don’t forget to check out Zapata Falls, should be a good cold/wet foot walk into the falls this time of year.

Oh man, we'd be all over that. Thanks for the heads up!

If you plan to cut through Medano Pass when leaving the Sand Dunes, keep in mind the last creek crossing (NE most) is by far the deepest. Depending on time of year, it can get 3’ plus deep, so grab a tree limb and check it out first.

I don't know of any trails or out of the way roads to go "off-road" in the GX and with me being a complete 4x4 noob I definitely won't be doing any water fording. HAHA!! I would love to get more suggestions on something more our skill level in that area or close enough by for a quick trip.

We’re in Colorado Springs, about 1.5-2 hours NE of there.

Too bad you couldn't head out that way on one of these days we are going to be there (June 27th - June 29th). We'll be driving to Hillside from Las Vegas so the drive will be long and tiring by the time we get to the cabin haha. I'm hoping it isn't too late but expect 4pm-6pm arrival depending on how early we can get out of Vegas.

Sorry, missed this post.

Pros:
  • Carplay. Enough said.
  • GROM unit has good cable lengths so no worries on getting it to the glove box efficiently.
  • Less losses of connection wirelessly than the phoenix tesla screen I put in the 470--almost nonexistent here.
  • Keeps the hotspot connection to my phone every time so I don't have to keep connecting to it (looking at you phoenix tesla screen!!).
  • If you turn the vehicle off with this running it comes right back up on startup where you left off.
  • My rear backup camera still works perfectly (again, looking at you phoenix tesla screen!).

Cons:
  • Sometimes (1:10 times) the parking sensors will show disabled on screen, but will still work. I think it's just a glitch in the UI.
  • Would of liked the USB ports to provide more power to charge devices... because...
  • ...the USB port that also doubles as wired carplay only barely charges the phone. It is more like a maintainer than a charger.
  • Using the factory screen means you cannot click and drag or pinch zoom. This is especially noticeable when you need to scroll or use your map apps like waze. It isn't a deal breaker but something to consider.
  • Limited native app compatibility. Still trying to figure out how to install new android apps via google play (anyone help me out?).

Under Settings>Vline system updates there should be a button to install Gapps. This should get you the Play store and allow for Google account integration.

Sorry, missed this post.

Pros:
  • Carplay. Enough said.

Cons:
Great review! And very encouraging. I'm so in conflict of wanting one. There's some other things I'd like/need to get first like that WeBoost for cell service. To me that is more of an essential/must have for where we usually go wheeling. And the price is about the same, with the WeBoost being a little cheaper.
First I have to rebuild my "toy" bank account from the resin 3d printer I just purchased that should be coming in today. 😍

Under Settings>Vline system updates there should be a button to install Gapps. This should get you the Play store and allow for Google account integration.

Found it last night but the app download keeps failing / losing connection. :(

Great review! And very encouraging. I'm so in conflict of wanting one. There's some other things I'd like/need to get first like that WeBoost for cell service. To me that is more of an essential/must have for where we usually go wheeling. And the price is about the same, with the WeBoost being a little cheaper.
First I have to rebuild my "toy" bank account from the resin 3d printer I just purchased that should be coming in today. 😍

Overall I give it an A- and the real test for it will be on the road trip. ;)

Found it last night but the app download keeps failing / losing connection. :(

Overall I give it an A- and the real test for it will be on the road trip. ;)
@ben7 did a nice video review recently and discussed some hiccups with GApps. I believe he had to do a factory reset and decided not to use the GApps function. Thanks for the review and looks great. Wish there was a lesser model for CarPlay only vs a full blown android computer. Very tempting though.

Finally got my Magnaflow muffler installed and it is about perfect for what I wanted. Zero drone and just enough rumble when you stomp on it and no noise when idle/low RPM. I’m going to try to get a cold start, a drive by and interior video clips.

I will like hearing that.

Just note I left the factory resonator and exhaust pipe exit the same. I haven’t installed my new black exhaust tip yet. It’s also a resonator so I might remove the factory resonator if it makes it too quiet. I just want a little tumble under load and quiet otherwise.

Big thanks to @giovanni for his phone holder idea. It is mega sturdy.

TIP: Use the wire cutters to gently snip the bracing around the bolts then use the needle nose pliers to pull and twist them off. Go slow and avoid too much grip strength with off hand or too hard on the pulling.

D6B5BCCE-4F86-46C2-AE00-8A056C48C422.jpeg

Here are some progress shots and the tools / hardware used. Don’t forget to use some nylon washers and do not over tighten! I used M5 16mm for all the bolts except the center speaker area where I used M5 10mm.

A1644439-871C-4677-9752-5AF6DD9370F4.jpeg

8F4C565F-D7F4-46C0-B20B-EFAB30579F61.jpeg

3C91F85D-BCD8-4A9A-976A-B3876BABA8A8.jpeg

415DDE74-3F1D-48BD-8779-995E3E1356F7.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice ! Thanks for sharing the pictures. Where did you source the hardware from?

Nice ! Thanks for sharing the pictures. Where did you source the hardware from?

Amazon and it was cheap. Here are the links.

Nylon Flat Washer...
Amazon product ASIN B07KQTTXSY
180 Pieces M5 bolts
Amazon product ASIN B07WZLWJ6L
Stainless Steel nylon lock nuts
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GNH6FVM?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Rubber Grommet Assortment Kit
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079NG9F4G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_O9oKPUHlajnpt

IPhone cables — very high quality
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071JR45HW?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q61FSFZ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Electric screwdriver with the bits used to tighten the bolts & nuts (low torque rating which prevents cracking)

Last edited:
I may not agree with their leader (in fact, NOT AT ALL!), but gotta love Amazon!

I may not agree with their leader (in fact, NOT AT ALL!), but gotta love Amazon!
Same here. It’s a pretty good quality of life thing. I look at it like I’m supporting other Americans and their employment.

That’s a great idea, makes me want to upgrade my current set up.

Used it today and over very rough roads it held firm!

The build is looking great! I have to ask about the wheels since they’re on my short list and it’s impossible to find many people using them (a really good thing IMO)...how are they holding up and do you like them? I’m between these and the Icon Rebound but they’re on back order and super popular for a reason. Thanks and again, great looking rig

The build is looking great! I have to ask about the wheels since they’re on my short list and it’s impossible to find many people using them (a really good thing IMO)...how are they holding up and do you like them? I’m between these and the Icon Rebound but they’re on back order and super popular for a reason. Thanks and again, great looking rig

Thank you! The wheels are great. The finish is very good and they still look new. We get compliments from everywhere on both the 460 and 470. They look great on the 470 too.

A5F459F6-597D-47BF-97FD-1FDE0A977A65.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom