Moving the E brake from the dash to the transmission hump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

POPO AGIE

SILVER Star
Threads
I have a 1978 FJ40 and long legs and really grew to hate the under dash location of the e brake every time I left it set and running. A part of my resto mod I want to move it a hand brake lever on the hump.

Has anyone done this?

The '79-83 models have it on the tunnel, but the tunnel is wider to support this mod, and of course, the cable is shorter. I think moving it will be an enormous pain and not worth it.

If you haven't done the mod that moves the driver's seat back about 2", that is well worth doing first.

I did on my 10/72 when I installed the later rear axle with e-brakes. I added some sheet metal to create the surface area for it.

20210324_162953.jpg
20210324_163002.jpg
20210324_163011.jpg

I did on my 10/72 when I installed the later rear axle with e-brakes. I added some sheet metal to create the surface area for it.

View attachment 2624971View attachment 2624973View attachment 2624974

What transmission are you running? Looks like the shifter is in the 60 series position.

Am I seeing a 9/73+ heater?

As for the hand brake handle thinking for my FJ45 of grafting a section of the 1/79+ hump onto the removable hump and move the hand brake to the rear axle. Even on my 79 moving it to the rear axle.

The '79-83 models have it on the tunnel, but the tunnel is wider to support this mod, and of course, the cable is shorter. I think moving it will be an enormous pain and not worth it.

If you haven't done the mod that moves the driver's seat back about 2", that is well worth doing first.
I agree and plan to move the seat back as far as I can. I am 6'3" so just moving the seat will not keep my knee out of harms way.

I found the short cable on eBay and have ordered the hand brake and parts.

Well, I hope my 78 will work as well and need to move the driver seat back as far as I can. I should have my new H55F and split transfer case next week, so the shifter will be farther back toward the risers.

I do not miss the old brake handle on the dash.

79 cable and handle on my 77 , great fit no special mods

View attachment 3045154
I bought a used brake lever and the bucket that goes below it, but, the cam section is too large to fit in the bucket. I also sourced a 25 inch cable for the brake on the rear of the transfer case.

Do you have photos of how the hand brake lever is assembled? It looks like I need spacers from the floor to the brake lever, but then I am not sure if the cable would reach the adjusting nut. I ordered the hand brake bucket and cover from Spector and I don't see any other parts for mounting it on the floor.

Guys, time to look at Control Cables (Santa Fe Springs, Calif) floor ratchet lever #B1000, under floor cable mounting bracket #B102, and possibly easy junction bracket #B-EZ200. Then they can make the 3 cables any length you want.
Downey,
I am using a single cable to the drum on the rear output of my split transfer case. I sourced a short cable that was for FJ45s with the drum on the TC. The lever and the bucket don't match, but I picked the bucket off the SOR parts diagram. The lever is also used Toyota part.

The cable I got seems to be the right length. I still have to assemble the parking brake to make sure but it looks like it will reach half the lengh of the H55F.
i offer these ............

T handle in dash or floor mounted applications

View attachment 3077843View attachment 3077844View attachment 3077842
Do you have the mounting bracket that supports that switch to the brake lever?

The cable I got seems to be the right length. I still have to assemble the parking brake to make sure but it looks like it will reach half the lengh of the H55F.

Do you have the mounting bracket that supports that switch to the brake lever?

Floor mounted or T handle in dash mounted ?

The truck came with a dash mount and it will never be used again, it was too painful for my knee. I am installing a a floor mount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom