mounting oem model 80 winch on model 100 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well today I went back up to the mostly model 80 salvage yard to get several parts for El Wahsh (my 93 gulf spec model that I intend to export to the US), and a real prize: an OEM Toyota remote control for the factory winch on El Wahsh. The seller wanted 1000 AED (275 USD) for the remote, and 2300 AED (625 USD) for the remote and the winch it was coming off of. Long story short, it looked to me as if it had never been used. Pristine. And I tested it with the remote and decided to buy the remote, winch, wiring harness, and contactor, for the 2300 AED.

It was already 8:30 pm by the time I decided to buy, but the boys got busy:
full

That is a diesel right-hand drive from Japan most likely. Wish I could swap engines, but then I could never import El Wahsh to the US. Good clean truck being parted out. Just came in to the scrap yard. Engine ran very well--they turned it on while I was testing that beautiful winch!

Here is the winch in the back of my 1998 model 100:
full

full

So here's my question submitted to your collective wisdom: Does anyone know of a mounting plate for a model 80 factory winch for use on a model 100 frame? I want to use this really nice winch my my 1998 but obviously the distance between the rails is different on the 80 and the 100.

Does anyone have experience doing this?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Those also came on 100's
That is most interesting.... Thank you. I asked the guy who runs that yard about that but he said they did not have one. I will go hunting up in Sharjah. The guys that run these yards (and there are a lot of them that deal in LC's) often don't know what they have.

well the AI-1000 was pretty much the winch toyota put on the 70, 80 and 100 series, maybe more.

The differences in them is the motors for the difference series (most likely for different weight ratings)

I believe the 80 series one is rated for around 4000 kilos while the 100 i've seen rated for 5500 kilos from a German magazine I saw a reference in.

Sizewise I think they are all the same size. And your region may not have gotten the winch option on the 100 although I find that hard to believe in Dubai.

here is the motor part number for my 100 series one

upload_2018-2-7_10-22-37.png

upload_2018-2-7_10-22-47.png

Here is most likely what the motor number is off your 80 series one.

upload_2018-2-7_10-23-16.png

upload_2018-2-7_10-23-30.png

i'll trade you my winch for yours and the diesel 80 it came off of... LOL

$630 is also a good deal on that with the remote especially.

Thank you LT. That information is most helpful. It lead me to this page:

And from what I can see looking at the photo of the winch I just bough and the exploded drawing, it looks identical. I'm going to try to find some dimensions somewhere, but if I can buy the necessary plates from Toyota for the model 100 I think I may just do that. I know it will be expensive, but much simpler.

upload_2018-2-7_22-49-0.png

I had thought that the frame rails were about 3 inches further apart on the model 80. Still learning all this stuff....

the frame rails are further apart.... the winch plate will be different.

I would doubt those parts are still available.

Best bet would be take the winch an plate you have to a fabricator and get them to make it work

You can swap the engine and import the truck or buy the engine and ship here

When I was in Dubai I couldn't get that guy to sell me a winch!

Yeah... the dynamics are a little hard to figure out. I grabbed the whatsapp details for several of the guys and just sent them photos of what I was looking for and occasionally one would get back to me. I think the fact that I show up every couple of weeks and buy a little something helps too. There is also a much friendlier guy next door with same ethnic background who is easy to talk to, and really tries to help.

Care to share more about your experience?

Sorry for the delay in responding. Here are a few more photos.

This is the winch as I picked it up from the scrap yard. Complete fixture and wiring harness from a model 80. I think I paid 700 bucks total which included the OEM control wand.
full

Pair of OEM winches--one that was originally on my model 80, the other from the scrap yard.
full

Getting ready for the install.
full

Modifying the Model 80 bracket for a model 100. The model 80 was wider as I recall.
full

The end result:
full

This is the winch as I picked it up from the scrap yard. Complete fixture and wiring harness from a model 80. I think I paid 700 bucks total which included the OEM control wand.
full

Pair of OEM winches--one that was originally on my model 80, the other from the scrap yard.
full

full

Modifying the Model 80 bracket for a model 100. The model 80 was wider as I recall.
full

The end result:
full

Do you have photos of how you mounted this to the frame?

When putting an 80 winch on an 80 it just slides over the frame rails and bolts on with 10 m12 1.25 bolts.

My 96 had all of the weld nuts in the frame and was easy enough to install

full

full

full

full

The end result:
full
I've got to say for only having 700 bucks tied up in this install, it turned out dam nice!

Do you have photos of how you mounted this to the frame?

I will go back and check, but I don't think so. However, once the weather warms I will be taking the plastic bumper off to put it back in the clips and will take some photos then. The truck is now in Northern Virginia where it is quite cold and the plastic is pretty inflexible. Here is the only shot I have while the guys were working on it in Dubai, already posted above:

full

Hi,

Would you happen to have the overall dimensions of the winch, excluding the mounting plates and the front plates?

Thanks!

Hi,

Would you happen to have the overall dimensions of the winch, excluding the mounting plates and the front plates?

Thanks!
Sorry KZ. The truck is in Virginia and I'm in Dubai at the moment. The good news is that in March my son and I are going to do some work which will require taking off the winch, so I will make a point of taking some photos and noting dimensions.

Thank you!
Sorry KZ. The truck is in Virginia and I'm in Dubai at the moment. The good news is that in March my son and I are going to do some work which will require taking off the winch, so I will make a point of taking some photos and noting dimensions.

Sweet piece!
Now if we could just import some of those OEM rear tire carriers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom