Mounting a HI-LIFT Jack (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I find them useful for getting off a high-center situation, where the long reach can come in handy.

I find them useful for getting off a high-center situation, where the long reach can come in handy.

... and to shift the truck, side-to-side, to mitigate the absence of winch anchor points, in the desert. Raise the truck, then push to off the jack, to one side or the other and potentially drive away.

... and to shift the truck, side-to-side, to mitigate the absence of winch anchor points, in the desert. Raise the truck, then push to off the jack, to one side or the other and potentially drive away.

With the required proviso that this can be very dangerous to the truck or the operator. I slightly crushed and broke my pinkie finger inside a work glove trying to shove a K5 Blazer frame (just the frame) off a High Lift, to better center the frame on a trailer. Yes, I put my hand in the path of danger, and yes I paid for it. Learn from this. My finger did totally recover, so that was good.

With the required proviso that this can be very dangerous to the truck or the operator. I slightly crushed and broke my pinkie finger inside a work glove trying to shove a K5 Blazer frame (just the frame) off a High Lift, to better center the frame on a trailer. Yes, I put my hand in the path of danger, and yes I paid for it. Learn from this. My finger did totally recover, so that was good.
Yes, Hi-Lift jacks should have an LD50 rating

@SteveH and @billmc

I have a prepaid contract with a local crematorium.

But, I don’t stand in the vicinity of the jack when I shove the truck off of it.

In fact, I have a length of 5/8” rebar that I’ve ground to a point on one end, with a short “stop” crosspiece welded to the blunt end.

I drive the rebar into the ground and use a come-along to pull the truck off the jack.

I also use the come-along, anchored to the truck, to extract the rebar, when finished.

Now, to answer the next question... I don’t anchor my winch to the pointy rebar and simply winch the truck because winching my rebar spear is tantamount to a portable punji stick. I much prefer the using that rebar anchor with a come-along.

I’ve used the jack, in this fashion, twice and using the come-along provides much better control, IMHO.

I considered a PullPal winch anchor, but I don’t believe I would be able to anchor sufficiently in the areas I frequent.

The hi-lift also provides a method for lifting the back of 44 two feet off the ground, to place the rearend on 2x4 custom jack stands, to allow me to drop and reinstall my aux tank... but, I’m very aware of the jack handle and it’s propensity for violence.

@rkymtnflyfisher @FF LC FREAK @1911 Do any of you guys have more detailed shots of how your jack is mounted to the swingout? I have been set on diying a passenger running board mount by copying @ginmtb's design, but I like it on a swingout too.

Mine is just bolted on with one 1/2" bolt right now, I've been planning on using a piece of channel and add a couple of additional anchor points. I'm also a little skeptical of how it shakes a tad at highway speeds.

I'll try to get a pic later this evening.

One of these days my rig will look as cool as yours! That's the goal for my build!

I bet yours has/will have a better body. Mine needs the rear quarters fixed (after I took off the flares) and needs repainted now, it's starting to fade.

@SteveH and @billmc

I have a prepaid contract with a local crematorium.

But, I don’t stand in the vicinity of the jack when I shove the truck off of it.

In fact, I have a length of 5/8” rebar that I’ve ground to a point on one end, with a short “stop” crosspiece welded to the blunt end.

I drive the rebar into the ground and use a come-along to pull the truck off the jack.

I also use the come-along, anchored to the truck, to extract the rebar, when finished.

Now, to answer the next question... I don’t anchor my winch to the pointy rebar and simply winch the truck because winching my rebar spear is tantamount to a portable punji stick. I much prefer the using that rebar anchor with a come-along.

I’ve used the jack, in this fashion, twice and using the come-along provides much better control, IMHO.

I considered a PullPal winch anchor, but I don’t believe I would be able to anchor sufficiently in the areas I frequent.

The hi-lift also provides a method for lifting the back of 44 two feet off the ground, to place the rearend on 2x4 custom jack stands, to allow me to drop and reinstall my aux tank... but, I’m very aware of the jack handle and it’s propensity for violence.
Don't get me wrong, they're no end of useful, and when you need one you really need one. I just think sometimes they're bought when accessorizing a rig without the owners being fully cognizant of their significant "Oh the humanity!" side.

@rkymtnflyfisher @FF LC FREAK @1911 Do any of you guys have more detailed shots of how your jack is mounted to the swingout? I have been set on diying a passenger running board mount by copying @ginmtb's design, but I like it on a swingout too.

My 4+ rear swing-out came with this mount:

@1911 Is there anything between the jack and the basket as an insulator? Or just slide the jack on the bolts and tighten it down?

Don't get me wrong, they're no end of useful, and when you need one you really need one. I just think sometimes they're bought when accessorizing a rig without the owners being fully cognizant of their significant "Oh the humanity!" side.

Oh, I’m sure there are a lot of hi-lift jacks that are never used.

I’m also sure there have been a number of memorable accidents, as a result of using them without intelligent regard.

I always thought it would be interesting to have a hi-lift, whose components could be disassembled and reassembled into a functional AR or long gun.

Of course, certain intragal parts would have to be kept/protected separately... perhaps in the glovebox.

... and I’d l probably feel obligated to move my hi-lift mount inside my 40... even if the hi-lift appearance disguised it’s alter-ego.

It is more like an ornament on a Christmas tree

I bet yours has/will have a better body. Mine needs the rear quarters fixed (after I took off the flares) and needs repainted now, it's starting to fade.

Waiting to see you use those nice fender covers you got! :hmm:

Years of wheeling, hunting and fishing, finally used mine for tightening up some fence. Thank God I always had a winch and some trees close by. I reckon on open terrain, they come in right handy.
Yea man, Hilifts are awsome, they have saved my arse a few times

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom